Author Topic: Sam's Mining Shack  (Read 15498 times)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: Sam's Mining Shack
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 11:14:59 AM »
Another great find rube!

I have always been curious about Slantin' Sams since I never got a chance to see it in person, and there are so few pictures of the attraction. Did it still have the same overall appearance on the outside? Did it still follow the same "course" inside? Oh the questions!  :D

You are right Junior, Mary Herschend was very serious about her trees! I sure appreciate her attitude towards it too. The last thing we want is for Silver Dollar City to turn into a flat parking lot style theme park. I hope the current management doesn't lose sight of this philosophy.

Speaking of the shack, there is a picture posted earlier in this thread of the lady standing at an "angle" with a broom stick standing up all by itself at an "angle." That picture gets me every time!  :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:16:38 AM by Ozark BBQ »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 12:07:12 PM »
My first photo appears as if it were the entrance to John's room-from inside the tilt room, or the exit area leaving the tilt area (based on the angle of lean, I would say the exit...) and the "lean on air" shot looks most likely the region near the bed, benches. I believe the first photo would also have been around the corner/ wall from the standing broom trick.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 12:08:39 PM by rubedugans »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 04:04:37 PM »
And if I am not mistaken, I think that the red headed gent in the above shot is none other than PETE HERSCHEND. Anyone know for sure? Could that be his future wife posing with him?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 05:49:44 PM »
Since we have established that the basement floor is what is left of Slantin' Sam's, then is it just me or does this picture look as if this scene is what is now the mirror exit ramp you see today.   The angle looks right and notice the hand rail in the photo.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 06:38:08 PM »
It does.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 07:40:27 PM »
you guys jsut keep coming up with awesome pictures..  thanks

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 08:13:03 AM »
Only a few more pieces left in my Mining Shack Catalogue...
# 8 on this map is the Mining Shack

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 09:31:46 AM »
i wasnt aware of sams,  i will sure walk through GM this next time down there.. I really like all the pics and ifo you guys have and give out.. then go to SDC to see if i can find/locate items.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 10:00:34 AM »
Nice addition rube! What does anyone know, or remember what the shack looked like from the outside? Did they have to give a face lift to turn it into the mansion?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 11:07:02 AM »
Having worked with a fellow who helped upgrade the shack to the mansion, I know it doubled in size and really the only stuff left from the original shack is the area with the slanting floors on the lower level of the mansion. The gag features have changed over the years, but the attraction is a classic "gravity house." I have never seen an exterior shot of the shack. The photos you have seen are all of the different gags inside the structure. Funny to note the folks are all dressed in early 1960s dress, no one was "in theme" in these post card shots. Of course, at this time, SDC was kind of "old west" themed, the "ozarks" theme came about more strongly in the later 60s.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 11:46:41 AM »
Agreed Junior. I have yet to find a photo of the outside of the shack. I have looked, believe me! Out of all of my items, all interior shots are either publicity shots, or postcards. No interior shots from guests of the park have come up anywhere. I began researching the "Tilt house" concepts a few years back. I pretty much knew how they worked...but I had to look up more information.

From the Grandfather's Mansion thread
http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=357.0
here are the pages that talk about HOW the houses work.

Rube Dugans wrote:Re: Grandpa,s Mansion  

SPOILER ALERT!!! IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW THE PHYSICS/REASONING BEHIND THE ANOMOLIES WITHIN THE GRANDFATHER'S MANSION DO NOT FOLLOW THE LINKS ABOUT TILT HOUSES.

Otherwise Enjoy!

www.dafe.org/attractions/history/tilthouse/tilthouse.php

http://www.sandlotscience.com/MysterySpots/Mystery_Spots_1.htm
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 11:50:11 AM by rubedugans »