Author Topic: What was the name of this ride? (Greedy Bros)  (Read 18074 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Re: What was the name of this ride? (Greedy Bros)
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2010, 08:55:40 PM »
Nice ribbons...I never heard of Riverfest, either. What was that all about...kind of like a little festival with special activities around Lake Silver?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2010, 09:56:10 AM »
yes, please describe riverfest? ???

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2010, 08:09:45 AM »
Here are the front and back of one of the Riverfest Tokens

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2010, 10:52:13 AM »
Mhmmmm..there's more! Other than the boats, and the remote control boats...they had themed refreshments...All for an attraction that only lasted a short time...

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2010, 04:45:50 PM »
The history on this boat is interesting. It originally was in Tom Sawyer's Landing in the 1980 season as something the kids could climb all over and run around and through. In 1981 the boat was moved across the street (to the area that later served as the BIG climbing tower and ball room) and was the "fruit boat" for about a year. We were surveyed by our bosses each year, and I know several of us, (Yes, including me) suggested that a concession be opened that served fresh fruit like apples, banannas, watermelon, and served milk for babies. The year the boat was a concession was memorable in the fact that watermelon rines and bananna peels were left by guests laying all over the area from the lumbercamp and saloon down to the diving bell. The watermelon, especially, were messy, sticky, and rines were left laying all over, attracting flies and making big messes. I think the fruit boat may have lasted through the '82 season. I know by summer of 1984 the big Tom Sawyer's landing climbing tower and ballroom was added. The fruit boat was retired for a year or two, but it seems it was remodeled again and put in the Shantytown area for the kids to climb on again when that kids area was added by Lake Silver. Somebody will have to dig through their family scrapbooks  to look for pictures of it in  Tom Sawyer's Landing or in Shantytown. After a few years in Shantytown, I think the old boat was worn out and disappeared. It may have lasted into the late 80s or early 90s.  Thanks for the photo Rube, I forgot about this piece of SDC history!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2010, 04:49:22 PM »
WHOOPS! Memories dim and fade. Upon looking at this shot again, I think that the little boat in Tom Sawyer's Landing and at Shantytown HAD THE SAME COLOR SCHEME but I think this concession was built specifically as a concession for '81 and 82 and was gone by 83. It did sit in the area I remembered though, across from the landing. Junior's gettin' old! Ok, somebody roll my wheelchair in the corner and let me talk to myself a while before the nurse puts me to bed! LOL  :P

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2010, 09:15:31 PM »
Wow, very cool picture rube, and thanks for the history lesson either way Junior!  ;D

Fresh fruits at a concession stand? Say it isn't so! I would get a kick out of seeing that now in 2010. The most nutritious thing you can get currently is popcorn, and caramel apples. ;)

I'm just teasing of course, but it never ceases to amaze me how expansive the Greedy Brothers, and Shantytown were! Especially for how quickly the entire thing disappeared. Simply spectacular.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2010, 09:31:36 PM »
Wilson's Farm still offers both fruit, apples bananas etc, as well as fruit cups (it avoids those pesky rinds Junior was speaking of from the watermelon)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2010, 10:34:28 AM »
great pics, and of course great info! thanks guys!!