Author Topic: Christmas 15 is here, anything you would like to see go, come or change?  (Read 11519 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
I always have tweaks I would like to share with someone who cares.  Is there anything you would like to change at the SDC OTC?
I myself would like to see a few new food choices.  What about you guys?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Christmas 15 is here, anything you would like to see go, come or change?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 07:40:26 PM »
Less congestion near Saloon. 
I also think that the parade should go around the square and not just straight across - this would create more prime viewing near the front of the park. 
SWOOSH

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 08:06:34 AM »
Seems like they could move out that Berries and Cream booth and that would sure open up a larger walkway.
It is a mess there.

pintrader

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 09:25:44 AM »
Seems like they could move out that Berries and Cream booth and that would sure open up a larger walkway.
It is a mess there.

Yes that would open up some space but at least the line goes with the flow.   The kettle chip line however goes against the flow and spills across the street causing a lot of congestion. 

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 12:48:16 PM »
I know I am going to get slammed here. But, Just how many years are they going to keep Dickens. Maybe its just because I have seen this story in so many forms over the years I absolutely cannot stand it. Another thing is if you are not going to have a attendance cap make sure you schedule enough shows that everyone gets to enjoy the things that are advertised as available. I know several people who will never go back to SDC because they crammed so many people in you had to devote 3 hours of your time just to see one show. If you put 20000 plus in make sure you can accommodate them. 

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 09:22:17 PM »
if you are not going to have a attendance cap make sure you schedule enough shows that everyone gets to enjoy the things that are advertised as available. I know several people who will never go back to SDC because they crammed so many people in you had to devote 3 hours of your time just to see one show.
Amen brother!!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 05:41:14 AM »
I hope they don't get rid of Dickens, and I don't think they will. It is a very good productions, lots of people want ot see it..   I don't watch it every year, because it is a repeat.  But it is still first class production..

I also believe they should do both of the bid productions, dickens and wonderful life, top of the hour starting at 2 all day long, maybe up unitl 6 or 7 in the evening..  I realize part of the performers are probably in the parade also, but they have lots of employees....

That would really give people more of a chance to see both shows and enjoy the park more.  Would help scatter people out more evenly over the park..

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 07:34:49 AM »
I hope Dickens stays around, also.  It's a Christmas tradition, and the best version of Dickens that I've seen.  Sand, I don't see it every year, either.  I see it every other year and always look forward to it.  I like your idea of having it run more frequently.  It's hard giving so much time standing in line and cold!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 09:03:27 AM »
I do think the basis of the complaint is very valid.  It seems that Saturdays at Christmas guest counts surpass the summer.  Consider that all of the water rides are closed and that if its cool the coasters are down.  You must increase the shows to absorb the guests.  I don't think the lights are enough to validate someone spending $65 to get in.  You better give them a cpl of shows for their money.
Even Santa and the reindeer run on a schedule.  Most of the times I have peeked my head into the Santa building to say hello to Terry there is no Santa or Rudolf or the Bumble on duty. Why not rotate them so there is always actions on the building.  I would think when removing attractions and things that fill a guests time you would try to make sure that you replace the experience with another.  This is not being done.  I love the city at Christmas but they do need to pick up the pace and the number of shows and offerings on traditionally peak days.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 01:37:55 PM »
I do think the basis of the complaint is very valid.  It seems that Saturdays at Christmas guest counts surpass the summer.  Consider that all of the water rides are closed and that if its cool the coasters are down.  You must increase the shows to absorb the guests.  I don't think the lights are enough to validate someone spending $65 to get in.  You better give them a cpl of shows for their money.
Even Santa and the reindeer run on a schedule.  Most of the times I have peeked my head into the Santa building to say hello to Terry there is no Santa or Rudolf or the Bumble on duty. Why not rotate them so there is always actions on the building.  I would think when removing attractions and things that fill a guests time you would try to make sure that you replace the experience with another.  This is not being done.  I love the city at Christmas but they do need to pick up the pace and the number of shows and offerings on traditionally peak days.

I agree. There are tons of places now days to see lights and not at $65.00 a pop to do it. Walking around cold just does not justify this kind of cash outlay. Sadly as long as the turnstiles click though we won't see much improvement or additional things to do. My group that i know that will never be back did complain to the customer service but just kind of got a we will look into it type of answer. I think they gave it a bad Trip Adviser review after that.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 04:05:46 PM »
You do understand the cost of producing the three big Holiday shows isn't cheep and I think the ticket value isn't just based on lights alone.  I do agree that both Dickins' and It's A Wonderful Life need to add a show on Saturdays - this means they need to do a quick turnaround during the busiest part of the day so that they can get people into the show faster and off the streets.  As long as Jack and Sherry Herschend are around I don't think we will see Dickins' go away.  I do think you will appreciate how they are re-doing some things for the Holidays.  I don't want to ruin it, but I was excited about it.  Also, I think it is time to completely overhaul the entrance and exits.  A lot of people could be out of the park as a large number of people are entering, but it isn't possible with the bottleneck even when they reroute guest that are entering down to the Candy Gate Entrance.  It needs to be like a revolving door and not the Berlin Wall.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 09:39:32 PM »
For those complaining about cost:
2 Broadway Style Shows (each would cost MINIMUM $40 each outside park to see)
Lights. (other displays cost $10 MINIMUM per person)
and that's before you even get to the rides, parade, etc

If you're not getting your money's worth, THATS ON YOU.
Also if you're whining about not getting to see both shows, do some freaking research and go in with a plan. Flying blind is again ON YOU.  That would be like going to WDW and not researching Fastlane+ until you got there then complaining that you didn't get to see everything you wanted because you didn't educate yourself ahead of time. 

Absolutely no sympathy whatsoever.
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 07:02:09 AM »
What SDC needs is more indoor rides; the worst crowds happen at Christmas when it's too cold for any of the rides to run.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 08:15:32 AM »
2 Things I would like to see, but doubt I will:

I would like to see a return of the Candy Mine (the transformation of the Flooded Mine in the 90's during OTC). Only happened one season, if I recall, but it was awesome!

Also, the 1st Christmas River Blast was open, they decorated it to the hilt with lights and decorations, turned off the water guns, and let people ride thru. We took Hot Chocolate with us, and it was nice and relaxing. Now its just dark, and the ride is shut down.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 08:09:37 PM »
Santa is now in the River Blast load station.
SWOOSH