Author Topic: What is wrong with these marketing photos?  (Read 5882 times)

Hollwood

What is wrong with these marketing photos?
« on: October 26, 2015, 06:34:56 PM »
So here is s new game! Over the years Silver Dollar City's marketing team has doctored up photos of the City, and other parks, to shed a better light on their products. Can you find out what is not quite right in these photos? I will post one on Monday and give the answers (there could be multiple) on Friday. No points will be given as I don't care who wins, it's just for fun! We will start with an easy one.

This photo has been used in brochures for as long as I can remember... It's of "Fire in the Hole" what's wrong with this marketing photo?

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: What is wrong with these marketing photos?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 08:02:01 PM »
it's going in the wrong direction.
I'm Your Huckleberry

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 08:43:30 PM »
Yep...that's what I was going to say...it's going in the wrong direction
Colorado SDC Fan

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 09:18:28 PM »
The tree is too close to the track!  That's a lawsuit ready to happen...

...and the saloon is on the wrong side of the track.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 10:29:59 PM »
They also don't allow three across seating anymore. Why don't family coasters allow this to happen anymore? I remember when all the mine train rides in the 70's and 80's would allow you to seat three across....I know they switched the seats and trains to not allow this...but why, were there several accidents that occurred to maindate the change?

Jay

Hollwood

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 05:21:45 PM »
So here is a photo taken from basicly the same angle. The direction of the train was the main problem with the picture. The question is did they allow three across seating in the past? If so, then it's not technically wrong, it's just not applicable anymore. Another question is weather or not the maniquines have always been hanging out in the corner. If they have then the marketing team edited them out... And rightfully so! I hope you enjoyed the first installment, a new picture to be posted on Monday!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 05:32:16 PM »
i believe the photo shown with the train is from "Blazin Fury" at Dollywood.  i've been riding FITH since 1974 and never remember 3-across seating.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Hollwood

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 08:43:44 PM »
You are 100% right Duelist! But it's not the trains that give that away, it's the window on the left! Fire in the Hole's left window reads "Singing and Dancing" while Blazing Furry's reads "Whisky." Another interesting picture, taken during the same photo shoot (clearly obvious by the man in the multicolored shirt) shows only two kids in the front seat... I'm going to say the kid in the red was photoshopped. I wonder what the reasoning was behind that?

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 08:47:40 PM by Hollywood »

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 09:58:57 AM »
When I was younger, you could sit three across when it was just a single bar restraint, in all but the very last seat, I believe.  When I was in middle school, I could sit with a middle school friend and my elementary aged sister.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
I believe these pictures are actually shot before the opening of the rides - before they even have the rides up and running - before the rides have been built.  They must be composite pictures, shot in a studio and cut and pasted together.  Can anyone confirm that they are actual photos?  They often look like realistic paintings rather than photographs.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 12:22:16 PM »
I believe these pictures are actually shot before the opening of the rides - before they even have the rides up and running - before the rides have been built.  They must be composite pictures, shot in a studio and cut and pasted together.  Can anyone confirm that they are actual photos?  They often look like realistic paintings rather than photographs.

Could be but the wardrobes do not look like 1972 era to me. I think they probably stopped the train in the area of the photo, set up all the lighting and cameras then shot all the publicity photos, then photo shopped them to reflect what was wanted.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 01:44:27 PM »
What are the people in the picture supposedly looking at?  They are not looking at the tavern.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 02:11:46 PM »
I believe these pictures are actually shot before the opening of the rides - before they even have the rides up and running - before the rides have been built.  They must be composite pictures, shot in a studio and cut and pasted together.  Can anyone confirm that they are actual photos?  They often look like realistic paintings rather than photographs.

Could be but the wardrobes do not look like 1972 era to me. I think they probably stopped the train in the area of the photo, set up all the lighting and cameras then shot all the publicity photos, then photo shopped them to reflect what was wanted.

You have to remember similar graphics of things like the Waterboggan, OR, etc.  The graphics are released prior to the ride even being able to be photographed like this.  I don't know about '72, but you also have to remember the limitations of '72 technology, don't you?

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 02:43:05 PM »
I believe these pictures are actually shot before the opening of the rides - before they even have the rides up and running - before the rides have been built.  They must be composite pictures, shot in a studio and cut and pasted together.  Can anyone confirm that they are actual photos?  They often look like realistic paintings rather than photographs.

You have to remember similar graphics of things like the Waterboggan, OR, etc.  The graphics are released prior to the ride even being able to be photographed like this.  I don't know about '72, but you also have to remember the limitations of '72 technology, don't you?

What I was saying was I do not believe these are photos oft he 1972 era. Yes I am aware of the technology limitations back then.

Hollwood

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 06:29:53 AM »
Here is a fun one just in time for OTC! There are a couple things in this photo, and one that is reoccurring in almost EVERY Christmas Photo taken on the square. Can you find it?