Author Topic: Proposed Branson Tram Project  (Read 16391 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Proposed Branson Tram Project
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2016, 08:57:58 PM »
The Vegas Monorail is useful though, I rode it everyday when I was there a year ago. Could have been better, but for the area it serves it is great and the thing was packed a lot of the time. This is the main thing that keeps popping in my head whenever I consider this project.

The street cars that Kansas City and now Oklahoma City are putting in are more complex in their purpose and usage, since they involve making those areas more livable and attractive to particular groups that the cities want to attract.

This gondola concept or something like it could be both useful AND promote a certain "livability" and appeal to a new set of Branson visitors... if it's done well. It's more likely it would end up as a huge boondoggle, but something about this really makes me want to play devils advocate.

I'd like them to start out with something more low-risk, like the faux trolley system that has been proposed already. I know there are concerns there that the trolleys will just get stuck in traffic and won't be as marketable as something huge like a giant gondola ride, but it would sure make a better proof of concept if they could get Branson people to actual use mass transit for once.

Branson may not be a big city per se, but at 8 million visitors a year it's a pretty huge deal. They should already have something like this. At least a bus system.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 12:28:29 PM »
The Vegas Monorail is useful though, I rode it everyday when I was there a year ago. Could have been better, but for the area it serves it is great and the thing was packed a lot of the time. This is the main thing that keeps popping in my head whenever I consider this project.

Right. But consider that if it's packed and it still went bankrupt and couldn't cover it's costs of operation...

Then how is something that isn't going to have anywhere near as many crowds on it, and over a longer length, as whatever version Branson will end up with going to cover its costs and make any money, let alone pay for itself.

Las Vegas decided that it was worth the tax dollars investment to do something like that.  Branson not only hasn't, and is very hesitant to do to, but it doesn't have the money or tax base to be able to make the kind of high cost investment that something like this needs.  And if a private company actually does it, they're going to end up like the Vegas monorail.

It's either got to be a taxpayer funded project (and I don't think the local taxpayers think it's worth it), or it's not going to be a viable project. 

Would it be great?  Yes!  Would we like it? Yes!  Would it reduce traffic?  Maybe.  Would it cost a ton of money? Absolutely.  Would it make that money back?  doubtful.  Would the tax payers be on the hook for it when they didn't want to, or otherwise have it sitting there rotting away a few years later?  far to likely in my book.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 01:49:05 PM »
I really would like to see something like this happen. My entire problem with Branson as a destination is all the random driving you need to do and all the mixed up and confusing parking lots. Unrestricted Unregulated growth in the 90's worsened the problem.Then the city just built a lot of underused roads to try and alleviate the problem. 76 will always be the main thoroughfare. I would use it especially if it went to SDC.  Have not been to Branson this year and probably not next year either. Hopefully the entertainment options will give me a reason to return soon after 17.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 05:26:33 PM »

Right. But consider that if it's packed and it still went bankrupt and couldn't cover it's costs of operation...

Then how is something that isn't going to have anywhere near as many crowds on it, and over a longer length, as whatever version Branson will end up with going to cover its costs and make any money, let alone pay for itself.

Las Vegas decided that it was worth the tax dollars investment to do something like that.  Branson not only hasn't, and is very hesitant to do to, but it doesn't have the money or tax base to be able to make the kind of high cost investment that something like this needs.  And if a private company actually does it, they're going to end up like the Vegas monorail.

It's either got to be a taxpayer funded project (and I don't think the local taxpayers think it's worth it), or it's not going to be a viable project. 

Would it be great?  Yes!  Would we like it? Yes!  Would it reduce traffic?  Maybe.  Would it cost a ton of money? Absolutely.  Would it make that money back?  doubtful.  Would the tax payers be on the hook for it when they didn't want to, or otherwise have it sitting there rotting away a few years later?  far to likely in my book.

Can we stop the talking in absolutes? It's lazy and ridiculous.  If you have published facts to back up these absolutes you keep spouting off then please supply them, otherwise you've stated your view on the topic - realize that most don't agree with it on here, AND take notice how they have been respective of your opinion.  It would suit you to follow their example. 
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 08:08:06 AM »
Swoosh- I have not been disrespectful in any way.  As I've said, I think it would be a neat idea.  Personally, I'd love to see something like this happen.  It's just not practical. Sorry if you don't like my opinion, but as someone who usually talks in absolutes yourself, you should be familiar with it.  :)

And sorry if the facts that I posted about the Las Vegas monorail aren't to your liking.  Or the facts about Branson saying that it won't invest massive tax dollars.  Or the facts that it doesn't have those tax dollars.  Or the fact that every other form of public transportation that used to run to the park no longer does.  Or the facts about how Branson has been resistant to other forms of transportation running the strip.  Facts are absolutes, like it or not.

It's a fact that something like this is going to cost a huge amount of money.  Huge.  And that's a big damper on dreams and pie in the sky.

Now if you've got some facts to refute mine, please do so.  But mine are out there, easy to find, and well known.  I haven't seen you post any other than a couple of proposals. 

Personally, I would absolutely love it if something like this were to happen.  I just don't think it's possible.  And the facts seem to bear that out.

So if you consider facts lazy and ridiculous compared to throwing out dreams and proposals, many of which will never actually even get put into writing let alone actually put before the city, ok.  I respect your desire to dream.  But apply those standards that you are trying to inaccurately push on me to yourself as well.  :)  And sometimes when reality and facts confront dreams, well yeah, it stinks.  But that's life sometimes.

In any case, I'm done stating my opinion.  You can go back to running the thread Swoosh.  :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:09:48 AM by sirwillow »
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 07:45:50 PM »

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2016, 06:49:42 AM »
^ I was just going to post the same link up.  :)  It's step one, and they do address a couple of my concerns (the funds raised and if it fails will it be left standing)  It's still early and it's informal, nothing official yet, but have to say good for them for bringing those up.

There's also a short article at: http://www.ktts.com/news/a-new-gandola-system-announced-in-branson
That mentions this tidbit: "Tickets are expected to cost $15 per person for a daily pass, with discounts for multi-day passes."
Wowch, that can be a lot just for a one day trip to Branson.  With my family of 4, I'd rather drive the slow strip at that price.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 06:52:32 AM by sirwillow »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2016, 08:48:14 AM »
"Tickets are expected to cost $15 per person for a daily pass, with discounts for multi-day passes."
Wowch, that can be a lot just for a one day trip to Branson.  With my family of 4, I'd rather drive the slow strip at that price.

THat may be true Willow, I probaly will ride it full length 1 time, just because,   But on the other hand,  SAAYYY  for the guy in town for a couple of days, wife, couple of teenage kids,..  maybe she or they want to go to the landing, or Tanger, or SDC, or an afternoon show, OR maybe they are in town for baseball at the Red Roof..  This might be the perfect transport option for them. At 15.00 per day, free reign all over 76? cheap!   ..   LOL>.  AND I dont have to drive them back and forth..!

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2016, 10:35:28 AM »
http://www.hometowndailynews.com/2016/11/08/citizens-provide-input-on-possible-branson-gondola-project/

The link above is from one of the Branson radio stations that covered the public meeting on the project.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2016, 08:54:35 PM »
I don't think Branson needs one of these.  I wouldn't use it.  It wouldn't be bad, just too costly for what you get, doesn't seem like it's worth it.
Just my opinion.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2016, 12:01:50 AM »
http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/local/ozarks/2016/11/26/branson-gondola-agreement-go-before-city-leaders-next-month/94212630/

So they're pretty serious about keeping this project rolling. I have seen enough projects like this one to know that it will almost certainly fall apart, but it's fun to see something with actual backing to it. The fact that they've been able to push all these meetings and seemingly get the city to work with them, and even bring out a sample car to show off, shows that they at least know what they are doing. I kind of doubt they will get backers... but maybe some Chinese investors are still wanting to throw some money at random American projects?

It will be interesting to see if they release any more details following the supposed Dec. 13 agreement. I'm assuming the city will go ahead and give them the memorandum since it's not exactly going to cost them anything and could turn into something amazing.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2016, 10:27:05 AM »
I still like the idea of this project, especially with minimal cost to Branson.. If investors want to come on and build it
and think it will work.. More power to them.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2016, 03:45:51 PM »
A couple of interesting tidbits in that article:
The system would run from 6 a.m. to 1 a.m. for 50 weeks a year, with two weeks of scheduled maintenance.

A 24-hour pass would cost $15, Green said, and a weeklong pass somewhere between $28 and $30. The company envisions offering an annual pass for Branson residents who want to use it to commute to work. 

50 weeks a year?  I'm surprised they would run it in January and February when the area is a ghost town.  Though I guess it could help cover some of the transportation for people working in the area when the roads are a mess.

And I love the idea of them offering an annual pass for locals and commuters.  If they can make that affordable- especially if they have some sort of a monthly payment plan for commuters- then they may be on to something.  But I'm wondering on that "affordable" part when they are hoping to get $28- $30 for a weeklong pass.  Their week prices are what a lot of commuters pay for a month on various systems, and with many of these area jobs being low paying just above minimum wage types of jobs, if they go much more than that it's not going to be affordable or cost effective for those that might need or want to use it the most.  We'll have to see.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 07:27:28 AM »
If they can make that affordable- especially if they have some sort of a monthly payment plan for commuters- then they may be on to something.  But I'm wondering on that "affordable" part when they are hoping to get $28- $30 for a weeklong pass. 
IF this were to come to pass they would probably have to have a greatly discounted pass for locals.  The ridership would vary so greatly seasonally and hourly they would really have to depend on locals to keep the gondolas reasonably full.  Numbers in Branson are really all over the place time of year considered.    I also wonder about parking. Do they have a main station planned where most of the parking would be supplied?

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2016, 07:36:38 PM »
If it will run from historic section of Branson to SDC, how long do you think it would take to get there? I can't imagine it would be a quick ride.