Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VII  (Read 8600 times)

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Episode VII
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 06:05:08 PM »
I planned to see it over Christmas, but it didn't get done.  Do I need to watch all the previous ones first?  I think I've only seen the first 2 or 3.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 09:19:29 PM »
I planned to see it over Christmas, but it didn't get done.  Do I need to watch all the previous ones first?  I think I've only seen the first 2 or 3.

Nope! While having seen the original trilogy (Episodes 4/5/6) would boost the nostalgia for the original trio coming back, the story is very much about the new characters.

My 7-year-old niece had never seen a Star Wars movie all the way through until she saw The Force Awakens, and she LOVED it and had no problem following it.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2016, 10:17:39 PM »

Nope! While having seen the original trilogy (Episodes 4/5/6) would boost the nostalgia for the original trio coming back, the story is very much about the new characters.

My 7-year-old niece had never seen a Star Wars movie all the way through until she saw The Force Awakens, and she LOVED it and had no problem following it.

Spoiler alert.  My favorite throwback is when Finn first gets on the Falcon and picks up the droid ball Luke practiced with in the first movie. Looks at it puzzled then tosses it aside. Anyone else catch that?

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 11:11:46 PM »

Spoiler alert.  My favorite throwback is when Finn first gets on the Falcon and picks up the droid ball Luke practiced with in the first movie. Looks at it puzzled then tosses it aside. Anyone else catch that?

Haha! I saw that! Not on the first go, though. It was on my second time watching that I caught it. SO many things to catch upon re-watch. I think that may be one of the factors into why the movie is doing so well at the box office: people are going to see it multiple times because there's so much to take in!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 07:34:11 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Haha! I saw that! Not on the first go, though. It was on my second time watching that I caught it. SO many things to catch upon re-watch. I think that may be one of the factors into why the movie is doing so well at the box office: people are going to see it multiple times because there's so much to take in!
[/quote]

I saw that to....  SOOO much to see and catch up,  they tie almost everything together, and leave us hanging for more to come.!!

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 08:06:58 PM »
I've gone to see it twice thus far, both times at the IMAX in Branson. First time was the official opening night. Ended up having to sit second row because we got there so close to start time. Needless to say my neck hated me. I'd definitely rate it in my top three of the Star Wars movies, with the other two being IV and V. I loved all the little call back to the originals that I've caught, including the training droid. I get where people are saying that it seems like its too much of a remake of IV, but its different enough to stand on its own and not take me out of it. Hoping to see it again before it bows out, which shouldn't be soon given that its passed Avatar for highest domestic gross.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 05:07:36 PM »
Chew on this for a bit:

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2016, 05:48:43 AM »
Chittlins:... nothing to look at?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 08:59:45 AM »
The reason the movie is so successful is because it was similar to Episode IV. Disney is telling us this is the Star Wars we want, it isn't the prequels. I'm not a prequel basher by the way. The movies definitely have their problems but I went back and re-watched them recently and they aren't as bad as I remember.

Anyway, I think Episode VIII does have to be drastically different than anything we've been given before. It has to be able to stand on its own, otherwise people will be upset because the nostalgia factor is now over.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2016, 04:13:54 PM »
haven't gotten to see Star Wars yet but supposed to go see The Revenant Tuesday night.
I'm Your Huckleberry