Author Topic: New Round Of Upgrades Coming Soon  (Read 17457 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: New Round Of Upgrades Coming Soon
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 12:58:29 PM »
Crap! I must have overwritten something I didn't mean to last night. Nothing I can do about it at the moment - I'll have to get to it as soon as I can tonight.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 08:01:02 PM »
Just in case anyone was wondering what's going on right this moment - I haven't gotten much done because a bunch of stuff has come up, but I should have some time this weekend to fix the user features stuff, so everything can go back to normal (or even better). Then I can go on to the rest of the list. I'll probably hit up the forum upgrades next.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2008, 07:10:08 PM »
I've been doing a bunch of work on the site today. Most of the user features are back up, though they still need some fine-tuning. I still haven't gotten around to rebuilding the profiles, but you can still use old one's for now and access the user features.

There's still a lot of problems with logging in and out from the main site though, so I'll have to do a lot more work there.

I've also started cleaning up the news and events pages.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2008, 10:02:12 PM »
Hey guys - keep in mind that the main site still isn't really working properly right now, despite the fact that the login box and profiles are showing up again. I've been stuck trying to figure out why the logging in/out hasn't been working on the main site, and until I can get that totally fixed the site will be a little messed up as far as user functions go.

I hope to have this all wrapped up soon, but it's been a really tough problem to fix, and I can only work on it sporadically.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 09:23:21 PM »
I'm honestly about to switch forum software. Getting the main site integrated with these forums is looking impossible at this point, I've tried everything there is to try. None of the SSI functions work like they're supposed to, and adding extra SSI functions, sessions, and cookies isn't working either.

I might end up having to move a bunch of stuff around, so the site might go down for awhile.

Can you guys play with the log in box on the main site a little? Let me know when/if it works for you. Right now I can get it to work if I completely log off the forums (from the forums itself) then log on again, but for some reason this isn't always the case...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 10:04:52 PM by shavethewhales »

sdcforever

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 10:26:12 PM »
^I can log in from the main site, but then it bumps me to the forums.  When I click to go back to the main site I'm still logged in.  However, if I try to log out from the main site it tells me an error verifying the url has occurred.  It tells me this same error has occurred if I try to log out from anywhere in the forums.  If I click on the "Home" tab in the forums, then try to log out, it will let me log out.  That is the only time it will let me log out.  This is using IE7.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 03:16:11 PM »
Can you guys play with the login box again? I think I might have fixed it, at least to some degree. Try logging off the forums completely, then going to the main site and logging in. It may still boot you back to the forums, but as long as it still shows you as logged in on the main site, I'll be satisfied.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008, 03:55:01 PM »
I just logged in on the main page.  It took me directly to the Forums.  When I went back to the main page it does not say anywhere that I am logged in....  I hope this info helps you.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

sdcforever

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 04:13:18 PM »
^^Definitely doing weird stuff to me.  I logged in from the main site and it reloaded the main site but didn't show me as logged in.  I then clicked to go to the forums and it said I was a guest; however, at the bottom of the page it showed me as one of the users that is logged in.  So I clicked on my name and it took me to my profile.  Then from my profile I clicked on "Home" and only then did it recognize me as logged in.  I am using Firefox 3.0.1.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 05:00:47 PM »
Damn, I thought I had it. I'm going to try one last thing, and if it doesn't work I'll just have to back off for a while and plan out a way to totally rebuild the script that handles all the login stuff.

In the end I might just have to totally separate the logins for the forums and the main site, so you'll have to log in for both parts of the site, but that would be better than nothing.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 05:02:36 PM by shavethewhales »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2008, 07:56:51 PM »
My last attempt didn't work. I'm giving up for now. We'll just have to go with a two-login system - there's just no way to get this forum to work with the main site.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 09:16:14 PM »
Alright, I'm about to get the ball rolling again.

This weekend I'll finally be making a trip to the park again - I'll have a full photo update complete with extensive construction coverage up by Sunday night.

Then, sometime early next week I'll re-launch the user features, as I think I have the integration problems nailed down. From there I'll try to get the new profiles hammered out as quickly as possible, although they may be a lost cause at this point. Then I'll be back to fixing up some styling around the site, further emphasizing the user features and cleaning up everything even more. Finally, I'll fix up the forums.

That'll be enough to really get the site on level ground again I think, which at this point is all I can hope for.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2008, 08:21:14 PM »
OK guys, one more try. Can you guys please log out, log in again, and check the main site to see if you are logged in still? I think I've worked out a way to get it to work now. It's working for me anyway.

I'm not too sure how well this will work though - it won't remember you like the forums do, so you'll have to log in again every time you want to use something on the main site, but it's the best I can do. I mean, I've pretty much tried everything at this point. \

Oh yeah - if it's not working, try clearing out your cookies. I know that's really annoying, but again, it's the only way it will work.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 08:29:52 PM by shavethewhales »

sdcforever

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2008, 10:52:33 PM »
^I logged in to the forums then clicked on "Main Site" and it didn't recognize me as logged in.  I then clicked to go to the forums and it showed me as a guest, but at the bottom of the page it showed me as one of the users that is logged in.  So I clicked on my name and it took me to my profile.  Then from my profile I clicked on "Home" and only then did it recognize me as logged in.  Sorry this is such a pain, Steve!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 12:42:08 AM »
^I logged in to the forums then clicked on "Main Site" and it didn't recognize me as logged in.  I then clicked to go to the forums and it showed me as a guest, but at the bottom of the page it showed me as one of the users that is logged in.  So I clicked on my name and it took me to my profile.  Then from my profile I clicked on "Home" and only then did it recognize me as logged in.  Sorry this is such a pain, Steve!

Exact same thing I observed. Clicking "main site" from my profile still didn't show me as logged in. (Firefox 3.0.3, MacOS X 10.4.9)

I haven't followed this thread closely, so I'm curious... what is the purpose of being logged in from the front page or main site? I agree that it's valuable as the "face" of the site for new visitors, but I only come to the forums. The only time I visit the main site is if someone points out a new article to read. Otherwise, I enter here (with "forever" as my logged-in option):

http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?action=unread
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 12:44:18 AM by KBCraig »