Author Topic: Spam  (Read 3372 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Spam
« on: November 12, 2008, 08:49:55 PM »
In case you didn't notice, we're beginning to be hammered with spam.

I don't know why - we've gone over a year without much spam, but now they all seem to be piling on. I've deleted about 6-7 accounts in the last couple of days, and everytime I check the site again there's another one.

I'll try to get this taken care of as soon as possible. In the mean time don't freak out if there's a few spam topics floating around - the forums aren't so large that we won't see them and get rid of them pretty quick.

Thanks!

sdcforever

Re: Spam
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 11:36:43 PM »
^Thanks for all of your hard work!  It keeps the site looking neat and tidy.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 02:01:51 AM »
I've seen other forum administrators say the same thing in the last few days: they're getting hammered with spam sign-ups. Apparently a major spammer was taken down, and they're seeking other outlets.

I know that one domain I own and administrate, which is nothing but a low-volume private forum, just got a 509/bandwidth shutdown, when I've never been anywhere near the limits. Suddenly it jumped to more than double the 3000 MB limit.

I don't know what's going on, because for more than 48 hours now I haven't been able to get any response from the hosting company, and they won't even let me log into the cpanel to see where the bandwidth was used. They didn't block ftp, so I was able to copy all the contents in case I have to jump ship early. I'll definitely be doing that when the contract is up in February.

FYI, hostingbegin.com is cheap, but has zero customer service.

Jason

• View Profile
    • www.coastercommunity.com
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 03:25:28 PM »
I use SMF as well and Are You Human? Anti-Bot Registration Check has worked like a charm.  I haven't had a single spammer get through in months.

As for hosting I've been using Bluehost for close to 3 years now and rarely do we have a technical issue that wasn't my own doing.  Their support team has been great as well.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 09:14:47 PM »
Ok, I added the Are You Human? thingamajig, so we'll see if that fixes things. We've been getting like 10 bot sign-ups a day lately...