Author Topic: Prowler - Worlds of Fun 2009  (Read 11280 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Prowler - Worlds of Fun 2009
« on: August 26, 2008, 07:17:27 PM »
Looks like they are going to let the Cat out of the bag next Monday

SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Prowler - Worlds of Fun 2009
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 07:40:27 PM »
I'm really excited to see this, though I have to admit I might be a little peeved if it turns out to be a massive success and draws attendance from SDC, making us wait another year for our coaster.

I'm ready to see another slammin GCI though - they're really bringing a new age of fun coasters to the parks. This'll easily be enough to finally get me up there. I don't know why I've never been - I guess I've just never had the time for it.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 09:16:25 PM »
^I'll also be mad if this takes away from SDC. Especially if our river battle turns out to have such great charm and Tom Sawyer's Landing is totally re-born because of it, while Worlds of Fun's roller coaster is just that--a roller coaster. Cedar Fair hardly ever puts any theme into anything. It'll probably turn out to be a pretty good ride though. I hope this kills Timber Wolf. Timber Wolf is the roughest roller coaster on the face of the planet. I've banned myself from that ride.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 09:23:21 PM »
^I love Timber Wolf!  It's rough, but I just love the rolling hills on that coaster!  I hope this ride nicely complements Timber Wolf.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 09:24:04 PM »
^^Someone obviously has not been on Son of Beast or Grizzly if they think TimberWolf is the roughest coaster on the planet.

Also did you completely miss the themeing they did with Spinning Dragons, Patriot and IDK, most of the park?  Yeah, Worlds of Fun is not your typical Cedar Fair park... and considering that the coaster is going to be built back in the woods... IDK if you can get much better themeing for a jungle kitty cat.
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 09:29:26 PM »
^^It does have nice hills but it is just too rough for me. I got headaches the last two times I rode it. I know I sound like a wimp but, that is really the only roller coaster I literally hate.

^Nope, never rode Son of Beast of Grizzly. As for the theming, Spinning Dragons and that whole area is nicely themed, I'll say that. But Patriot? It has a nice gift shop and nice signage and throw in some eagle statues. Other than that, I didn't see much. Don't get me wrong though, Patriot is a great ride. Really fun.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 09:49:53 PM »

The station is just as themed as Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.  That is a frontier-stylized station.  I don't think you can get much more themed than that... especially with the iron cast lanterns they use for lights in the station. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 09:56:48 PM »
I think what he's getting at is that the ride doesn't carry a backstory or have any sort of immersion involved - it's just a pretty ride. That's great though, because that's all anyone really wants it to be, and it's very pretty indeed. It's just nice to have a whole experience set up though, such as what's been done with rides like Expedition Everest, where you're on a journey and not just a ride.

CF builds some great rides, but it would be nice to see them make a creative department and start coming up with ways to add character to some of the rides. Sure, most of them look nice, but have they ever tried really digging into a theme? I think Disaster Transport at CP may have been one attempt, but I haven't seen much else. I guess it's just not really worth it for the type of parks they run.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 10:24:14 PM »
Hey we're happy if they can just stick to the theme of each section of WOF.
If they add a backstory that's icing.  Not that a backstory is really needed.

That's SDC's thing, not Cedar Fair.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 01:00:03 PM »
As a point of fact, I think "theming" and "decoration" are two different things.  Theming should include how the attraction "fits" into the park and how well it tells its own story while adhering to the park's own traditions.

I haven't been to WoF and it never has appealed to me.  With all this talk of theming, I wonder what the theme is really supposed to be.  Are the "areas" themed to different "worlds" or parts of the world?

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 01:02:02 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 04:08:37 PM »
The park is themed to the book Around the World in 80 Days.  There are different lands: Americana, Orient, Europa, Scandinavia and Africa which are all mentioned in the books.  In each area there are rides with names themed to that particular "land".  The buildings in the area area also representative of that "land"

SWOOSH

Jason

• View Profile
    • www.coastercommunity.com
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 04:12:29 PM »
If CF started really theming the crap out of everything it might actually take away from parks like SDC and Disney.  They have their place in the market and parks like SDC have their place.

Not everyone is going to build $100 million roller coasters like Disney, which still blows my mind.  4 Millennium Force's or 1 Expedition Everest?

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 04:14:27 PM »
The park is themed to the book Around the World in 80 Days.  There are different lands: Americana, Orient, Europa, Scandinavia and Africa which are all mentioned in the books.  In each area there are rides with names themed to that particular "land".  The buildings in the area area also representative of that "land"

Is this apparent to visitors?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 08:00:14 PM »

Is this apparent to visitors?

I've been several times to Worlds of Fun.  Had no idea until now it's themed to Around the World in 80 Days.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 08:22:32 PM »
Why else would they have a balloon as their logo -- and the lands be labeled as they are?  :-\
SWOOSH