Author Topic: What Strategies Should Manby Employ at SeaWorld?  (Read 4219 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
What Strategies Should Manby Employ at SeaWorld?
« on: August 31, 2015, 05:04:44 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2015/08/31/seaworld-sees-major-spike-in-negative-comments-after-one-direction-calls-for/?intcmp=hphz20

SeaWorld can't seem to catch a break, with "84 percent decrease in profits in August" and pop stars publicly denouncing them.  This report points to uphill battle for former HFE CEO Joel Manby, now CEO for SeaWorld, who insists, "We will continue to fight with the facts, because the facts are on our side.”
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: What Strategies Should Manby Employ at SeaWorld?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 11:02:30 PM »
They simply need to get rid of the Orcas. I know the arguments, and I'm not personally against them having them (though I agree their habitats should have been better), but the fact is that they'll probably never get over this PR hurdle anytime soon unless they actually give in. They're going to spend all this money on aquariums and PR and dig themselves even deeper in muck with their former customer base.

Just turn the parks into ride-based parks with nautical themes and aquariums on the side.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 11:11:46 PM »
And do what with them exactly?
They can't release them into the wild.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 11:48:00 PM »
Because creating holding pens in the ocean is so much better at extreme cost and no reward, said no one but whacked out looney birds that think cows should have constitutional rights.

Get rid of the orcas, then the screams for all the others will start. They target the orcas because of their size and noteriety but the goal is abolishment all zoos and aquariums. CNN is practicing journalistic malpractice by buying and playing that crap fauxcumentary, one that the Oscars disregarded and didn't even nominate. Still no one calls out CNN's major sponsorship of the Atlanta aquarium and it's dolphin and beluga captivity.

I don't get worked up over teen girl social media outrage being as I have one.  Social media and ignorant SJWS are a horrible combination that's given way too much credence. These are the same adolescents that was lapping up the Miley and Kanye frank show last night.

What you forgot to mention is that Peta is actually fighting the expansion of the tanks in.San Diego. It's like these dumba....es forgot the life and times of Free Willy after release. And... that  most of the orcas were born in captivity.

I still think they should focus on Texas and Sea World San Antonio build a companion Busch Gardens and actually get into the doing business. Model the lodges off the ones  like at a phantasialand in germany.

And it's looking like 2018 I'll get to actually visit it some of these European parks.

Amazing we don't hear of similar protests of the euro parks with orcas, I'm sure it exists. Maybe if Styles would play Barcelona. ....
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 11:52:14 PM by chittlins »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 09:17:19 AM »
Phasing out the Orcas would be a good start. Then start moving to a ride based theme park. The company like it or not will not overcome the bad publicity. And actually in this day and age are animal shows really relevant anymore? I know I have no desire to see it anymore. Not sure what the permanent solution would be but they are on a slow death roll right now doing what they are currently doing.
The current water parks are great but with Universal Orlando upping the bar they may need to invest in upgrades there also.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 10:15:33 PM »

Meh, sure they can. They'll die immediately of course, but the point is that SeaWorld isn't going to come out of this controversy anytime soon unless they ditch the whales. Obviously PETA will still rail against the aquariums just like they do everything else, but the general public is upset about the whales specifically.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 05:35:57 PM »

Meh, sure they can. They'll die immediately of course, but the point is that SeaWorld isn't going to come out of this controversy anytime soon unless they ditch the whales. Obviously PETA will still rail against the aquariums just like they do everything else, but the general public is upset about the whales specifically.

Till they are told to be outraged by something else when the whales are gone. Ringling Bros has morphed into something that's more stunt show than circus and into three smaller tours with an occasional coming together in larger markets. Elephants became costly and expensive so the company that puts on the Ringling shows have about phased them out, purely business as the show has morphed into something totally different than the circus we remember. You'd think the animals SJWs had just forced Japan into unconditional surrender. This is not a case of lose the battle win the war, the animal rights folks are island hopping and they'll invaded another island as soon as this one is over.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 02:56:29 PM »
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/nov/09/seaworld-san-diego-phase-out-killer-whale-show/

Big announcement from SeaWorld today. It appears their Blue World project will be put on hold and now they are phasing out the killer whale shows. Interesting that they did not announce whether this impacts the San Antonio and Orlando locations also, but I think it only makes sense that it does. I think people will still be upset that the killer whales are living in captivity but it appears this is the first step made by Manby after the Blackfish backlash.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."