Author Topic: Worlds of Fun 2016  (Read 11525 times)

Hollwood

Re: Worlds of Fun 2016
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 07:14:51 PM »
That's crazy to me! Does WoF make that much money on their Halloween event to invest in a building in an "undeveloped" area of the park?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 07:35:59 PM »
It's a huge cash cow for the park.
Also that's not an undeveloped area.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 09:06:24 PM »
Thunderhawk has to be the dumbest, most overrated ride ever created.  I wouldn't miss it.

I'm surprised WoF doesn't just haunt the place year-round.  It seems to be the biggest, most anticipated event they have.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 10:50:32 PM »
Well one could say the same thing about Christmas at SDC
SWOOSH

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 11:00:51 AM »
Well. I got excited for nothing. I'm sure young children will enjoy these new rides, but does Planet Snoopy really need 21 rides?

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 04:19:07 PM »
Well one could say the same thing about Christmas at SDC

That's true to a certain extent.  The fact that WoF builds these actual buildings to be used primarily as haunted houses kind of deviates from that though.  It's not my thing, but it doesn't really matter.  It's interesting how these things develop differently for different locations/regions/parks.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 09:30:14 PM »
So my first thought when this was announced is that this is WOF's answer to Fireman's Landing. SDC has been marketing it well this year, and it seems to have had a decent effect on attendance so far, rain not withstanding. They're probably drawing the younger family demographic out of the KC area better than WOF since WOF is probably seen as more of a big coaster/halloween haunt park. Seems like a family attraction arms race could be started...

What if SDC's next move is to add a mack family launched coaster, and then WOF responds with it's own family coaster....  If WOF does indeed get a dark ride, will it be designed well enough to compete with SDC's Flooded Mine/FITH? Will SDC rebuild one of it's classics to compete right back?

Lots of interesting possibilities here.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 10:09:37 PM »
https://www.worldsoffun.com/what-s-new/new-in-2016

It sounds like a couple of these are just revamped or moved and only a couple are actually new.

I wish the Schultz family protected their trademarks here as well as they do with the comic strip.  What does Linus have to do with a "launcher" and weightlessness other than through alliteration?  It seems like they just stick rides in there, put the characters on top, and call it good.  It's another example of why the SDC theming needs to remain tight and real.

It would be sweet to actually enter the world of Peanuts.  I'm sure we could imagine a more immersive area based on this theme, and as much as it's out of theme for the park in general, we would love to completely feel like we were in Charlie Brown's universe.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 10:16:20 PM by History Buff »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 10:29:44 PM »
The Darkride would be more like JL:BFM but without the oceaneering carts and AA.  It would be screens with a few props in between. The advantage of these styles of blaster rides is that the story can be changed pretty easily, but the immersion level suffers because of it.

The additions to Planet Snoopy are all new.
Linus' Launcher is themed to holding on to the end of his blanket while he twirls it around and is based on an actual comic. 
Snoopy Junction train is themed to Snoopy going to see his brother Spike.

I like how they are adding a Zamperla Air Race inverted whip. I think WOF might be the only park in the chain with one of these

I'm also very happy they are removing the eye sore kiddie haunted house completely.  This was final building (not counting the restrooms) left over from AeroDrome - the original area that graced this part of the park. It pained me to see the building in the condition it was in knowing how it once looked. 
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 01:25:34 PM »
What a disappointment.  I'm assuming this might be happening to capitalize on the PEANUTS movie?

Planet Snoopy is already one of the biggest kids sections I've ever seen.  The last thing the park needed was more kids rides in that area.  Doesn't make me want to take a trip back up there and I have 4 kids who would ride them.

Should have done a Snoopy dark ride instead.

I've always dreamed that they will put in a floorless B&M with some Orient Express elements back in the Orient section.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:26:30 PM by HumphreyHawk »
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 03:30:29 PM »
SWOOSH

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 05:34:12 PM »
Sweet. I loved the Troika in grade school they had at Marriot's Great America~
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 08:54:50 PM »
I was kind of on the fence about getting a pass this year - but with both Flyers and a Troika coming, I'll be there!

Kinda of "meh" about the Condor.  Wish we could have got the Breakdance or Musik Express instead.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2016, 09:47:21 PM »
They refurbished the one at King's Island this year, which I really enjoyed. CF really loves these things all the sudden.

I was also on the fence about making another visit this year, but I'll certainly try to get there now.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2016, 10:53:17 PM »
Sounds like WOF will get the same LED light package that they gave to Shake Rattle and Roll at KI for this past season
SWOOSH