Author Topic: Worlds of Fun 2016  (Read 11610 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Worlds of Fun 2016
« on: August 15, 2015, 04:31:09 PM »
For those who are interested, the announcement will be made Thursday.  The park said they will announce new rideS (yes plural) for the park. No word on what and location.
SWOOSH

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
Re: Worlds of Fun 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 10:18:43 PM »
Good to know! The park definitely needs something, preferably a launched coaster but that probably wouldn't be plural.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 10:58:43 PM »
C/P from WorldsofFun.org
From the Q&A this afternoon at Coaster Mayhem...
-Keeping Voyager and other WOF Classic rides a priority
-No specific timeline on a new coaster but would like to see one, launched coaster discussed but nothing specific
-New Main gate has been discussed and has been designed in the last 2-3 years but waiting for a big enough budget (+$1 million) as they will have to move entrance over towards shadow gate/tivoli east area due to topography and accessibility issues. Moving the catering facilities seems to be the most pressing financial issue.
-Both Frank and Wayne want to bring the floral clock back possibility to the new main gate.
-Announcement for 2016 coming this Thursday or Friday
-Season passes go on sale this weekend, renewals will still get a bring a friend free in 2015 as well as a free Fast Lane to be used in Fall 2015
-New Dark ride is being discussed up where Timberwolf games are now (old bicentennial square) No timeline but it sounds like it's becoming more financially feasible
-Some discussion on searching Europe for old classic rides but nothing WOF specific more "cedar fair mentality" as preserving and maintaining classic rides.
-Painting Mamba is a major priority probably next 2-3 years along with more maintenance upgrades such as control system and new brakes.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:00:11 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 11:31:39 PM »
Any speculation about a possible dark ride theme?  Would it be Around the World or nation-specific?  Something else?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 02:08:56 AM »
While WOF has certainly strayed from its roots, it's always felt like there's someone behind the scenes who keeps it from becoming totally "ruined" by the typical CF treatments. There's more celebration of its history and interest in preserving its classic rides than what you see at other CF parks. I wonder who is responsible for that, and what will happen when they are gone...

Here's hoping for something interesting for 2016. It's been awhile since something truly interesting has been added to WOF. SteelHawk was nice, but the circumstances around its relocations still leave a sour taste in the mouths of many. Wasn't Prowler the last "good" addition back in 2009?

I hope there's at least a new flat ride in store for 2016.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 01:46:44 PM »
2 new rides is what I keep hearing.  They were bought before the Europe hunt.  Though I guess they found 3 rides over there earmarked for WOF.

The people preserving WOF are people who cut their park teeth their who are now in upper mgmt.  Ouimet also likes how there is a theme there as he originally worked with Disney.

Theme for Darkride sounds like steam punk Wild West but that'll probably change.
SWOOSH

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 10:08:47 PM »
Could we see Thunderhawk leaving in the near future? I mean it's had problems and it seems that the ride has been closed more than open. Maybe the park would want to replace it with another more reliable, better flat ride. It's the only ride that I can see leaving at the moment. I would say Timber Wolf could be removed but if they were planning to remove it they wouldn't be retracking and fixing it up.

Does the park have room for more rides without removing any?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 12:12:00 AM »
WOF has tons of room.  Probably the park with largest expansion zones in the Cedar Fair chain
SWOOSH

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 05:40:52 PM »
I just was looking through Worlds of Fun's website and I found that Thunderhawk has been removed from the list of rides.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 06:57:51 PM »
Sounds like ThuderHawk is down for the rest of the season and possibly forever. 
SWOOSH

cbconglom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 11:07:15 PM »
what's the building on the left?

cbconglom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 11:10:22 PM »
what's the building on the left? guessing a new haunt..

Hollwood

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 05:41:03 AM »
A haunt is not going to be down a service road behind the scenes... I would say it's just another service building (wood shop, storage, ect)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 06:30:52 PM »
That's Blood on the Bayou.  The new haunt for this year.
SWOOSH

cbconglom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 07:09:22 PM »
Thanks!! Can't wait for announcement tomorrow. I want a dark ride like knotts so bad but I know that's pry a few years away