What color of crayon tastes the best?

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Other

Author Topic: SDC's 2017 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 217223 times)

Madtwins

• Jr. Citizen
  • My 3G network
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2017 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #720 on: June 20, 2016, 09:41:37 PM »
Oh ok well I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box lmao. 

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: June 20, 2016, 09:49:10 PM »
Oh ok well I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box lmao. 

Me either! My mistake.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Madtwins

• Jr. Citizen
  • My 3G network
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 20, 2016, 09:49:43 PM »
Lol

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 20, 2016, 11:19:19 PM »
So, basically, what I'm gathering from this is that it would be similar to Bass Pro in that it would be some kind of outdoor setting presented inside a building, yes? That's already done in a low-key manner at the Ozark Marketplace, so that seems to be a natural progression.

Should we be looking at the Gaylord Resorts as another example? Basically, this could be a Resort/Entrance that looks like the Memphis Bass Pro or the Gaylord Resorts, only it would be 1880s mining town theme....?

dawsonrt

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: June 21, 2016, 08:07:24 AM »
What kind of need to do in the parking lots is build maybe some small parking garages only 2-3 stories.
-Spencer

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: June 21, 2016, 08:15:19 AM »
2017 rumors have gone from coaster talking to retail/mall design rumors :(  Boooo

It already blows my mind sometimes when I think about the fact that you pay a ticket to get access to shop at stores that sell items at premium prices.....and I know not ALL prices are outrageous and that SDCs basic amusement park goods are reasonable compared to its competitors.  But it would be like paying an entry price to get into a premium retail mall just to get the opportunity to shop :-\  Obviously.....it's apart of the theme park biz model and not exactly invented by SDC....but make it really illogical to come to SDC just to shop if you don't care about rides or shows.

After that rant/observation with no solution suggested.....

I guess a new entry plaza would be nice....I'm sure they see the ridiculous squeeze the current setup causes during peak times.  I'm imagining that the current ticketing building would be torn down and a new setup built within the current bus loop.  The new building could have a lot of possibilities from basic gift shop/tix booths to full resort like hotel structure (I doubt).  That would open a huge space up for bag checks/tix entry/hospitality/shops/new photo ops areas?  I'm guessing they leave the current walkway to the square alone and create a new walkway to the new plaza area by TnT/new ride?  Giving you a new option of entry and exit?  Maybe the new ride has some type of 'interaction' or photo op space at the new entry plaza.  I could image that type of setup could provide plenty of room for more/new shops and restaurants to help replace some of the buildings that it sounds like they might demo around TnT.  That setup would also mean some type of reworking of the tram/bus drop off and loss of a bunch of handicap parking real estate.....which I would just assume then gets pushed back into the premium parking areas.

Who's doing the MS paint image?

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 21, 2016, 08:28:29 AM »
^^^^Well...connecting the entry to the new coaster area is probably a terrible idea.....I just looked at google earth....I didn't realize how many buildings are between the current entry plaza and where the new coaster plaza is proposed to be.

dawsonrt

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 21, 2016, 08:31:34 AM »
2017 rumors have gone from coaster talking to retail/mall design rumors :(  Boooo

The coaster discussion was moved to 2018 speculation due to the coaster being pushed back to 2018.
-Spencer

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #728 on: June 21, 2016, 10:37:30 AM »

I don't think anyone has said "retail/mall rumors".  Right now, the discussion is only about an entry plaza.  The mention of Bass Pro was only a reference to the possible appearance of the entry, not a reference to an actual retail area.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 21, 2016, 12:44:56 PM »
The retail/mall thing is a little tongue in cheek....but seriously....the retail layout/flow of a new entrance/exit is a huge topic for HFE if they are doing a big redesign.  You already have to walk through 2 gift shops to exit....so they obviously care about that flow.  It's not crazy to look at SDC as basically an well maintained outdoor mall with attractions (rides and shows) that your ticket pays the costs for.  The main gate becomes like the 'front end' of a retail store complete with the first impression and last chance selling.  That is why it reminds me of retail design.

I know the coaster talk has been moved....I haven't been talking about the coaster?  and just to cover it....I don't expect a Bass Pro Shop (I didn't bring that up)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 21, 2016, 04:17:23 PM »
Actually multiple paths in would not be at all unique and I think a great addition. The Magic kingdom you can choose to go left or right. Also at Disneys Animal Kingdom there are meandering paths from the gates into the park. Mix this with small retail, food and other things and you have a unique park experience. Think of a well shaded paths weaving through Ozark limestone bluffs , waterfalls , faux cave entrances mixed with piped in natural sounds.  Add a couple nice ( no buffet) sit down restaurants.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 21, 2016, 05:59:59 PM »
Actually multiple paths in would not be at all unique and I think a great addition. The Magic kingdom you can choose to go left or right. Also at Disneys Animal Kingdom there are meandering paths from the gates into the park. Mix this with small retail, food and other things and you have a unique park experience. Think of a well shaded paths weaving through Ozark limestone bluffs , waterfalls , faux cave entrances mixed with piped in natural sounds.  Add a couple nice ( no buffet) sit down restaurants.

Can they hire you right now Runner?

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 21, 2016, 06:25:59 PM »
Since I am retired I am available.  :) just do not have the right degree.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #733 on: June 21, 2016, 07:33:24 PM »
^^^^This is an accurate description - that you must pay to shop (unless you acquire a shopping pass).  I just wanted to clear things up, as it seems like people are taking little statements here and there and blowing them out of proportion.

I would love to be a part of the redesign process.  Make the entry into an experience of their own to enchant the visitor right off.  Part of the mystery of a theme park is the disorientation someone feels upon entering for the first time.  Things don't have to be wide and straight to keep the flow, and hidden gems throughout the park are more than welcome.

Are we also wondering if a new ticketing system might come along with this?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 07:34:47 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 21, 2016, 09:32:31 PM »
^I guess I don't see SDC as an outdoor mall because I have been to the Disney parks. Once you've been there, you know EXACTLY how it feels to pay to get in to shop. SDC does not feel like that to me.

However speaking of Disney, their theming is amazing. And if SDC's new entrance can immerse us in the 1880's Ozark culture as well as Disney has done with their parks, that would be considered a major success in my opinion. HB, what are you meaning by a new ticket system?