What color of crayon tastes the best?

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Other

Author Topic: SDC's 2017 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 219051 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2017 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #480 on: May 26, 2016, 10:39:51 PM »
The orange spray painted lines are for electrical. Not sure about pink, but I really don't think the lift hill will go near TNT's station. I think the lift will be behind EH somewhere. I was thinking it would go up the hill next to GE so they could get maximum advantage out of the topography, but who knows at this point.

Can't believe the heavy equipment is already at work. Maybe I should start planning another trip for June...

Jipper

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 26, 2016, 11:01:03 PM »
Spray paint meaning:

White: Proposed Excavation
Pink: Survey markings
Yellow: Gas lines
Orange: Cable/Telephone Lines
Blue: Water Lines
Green: Sewer Lines

The orange spray painted lines are for electrical. Not sure about pink, but I really don't think the lift hill will go near TNT's station.

Grapeslie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 27, 2016, 11:02:49 AM »
I will say they are starting heavy construction early so this must be a fairly large ride. I'm sure its partially because of the difficult topography! But difficult topography makes for a more interesting ride generally so yay! I was speaking with someone who told me that B&M did not take this job though it was offered to them. I was told that RMC has stepped in. I have NO IDEA if this is true (major grain of salt) but if it is true then were looking at a T-REX project!
The Scariest Part Of The Ride Is The Lift Hill!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #483 on: May 27, 2016, 12:27:50 PM »
Another reason is the fact that this isn't the only large project the park has in store for next season and since there are only so many contractors they can use a one time from the area they had to start early.  It's impossible to start on the other until the entire season is over and the park is closed
SWOOSH

mammalone

« Reply #484 on: May 27, 2016, 03:48:15 PM »
^ Yes, finally getting that much needed redo of the entrance area.

^^Grapeslie, I had the feeling it wasn't a B&M from the beginning as I heard it was a German manufacturer. And this was from someone who knows nothing about coaster companies, they just had some info about the contract getting signed, etc. So, who knows. Everyone seems to be betting on a B&M but I'm still not convinced. I'd also bet against a T-Rex. :) Looks like we will be finding out soon.

dawsonrt

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 27, 2016, 03:51:54 PM »
When do they have shows during the day in EH?  Sure Young Heathens Weekend, but the music is blasted so loudly I doubt the teenagers would notice (or even care).

That is really the only one, but I was saying if they ever plan to (they most likely won't now), it would make a cool backdrop.
-Spencer

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #486 on: May 27, 2016, 04:20:40 PM »
lol I will actually be disappointed if it is NOT a B&M. If they are gonna do another big coaster, they need to build on the long term success of WF. A reliable and smooth ride with high capacity. Plus it would be a nice balance to the park with two similar but different coasters on opposite sides of the park.

(granted I may be a little bias since WF is still my long standing favorite ride there)

Also I think HFEC will be shying away from RMC for a while after the Lightning Rod debacle.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 04:25:31 PM by sdcfan88 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #487 on: May 27, 2016, 05:49:12 PM »
I was assuming B&M wing coaster since I don't have any better ideas or anything to go on. I'm not getting my hopes up too high for anything specifically yet. I will be a bit upset if this turns out to be that silly Mack looping spinner concept.

Mack makes some good coasters though if this turns out to be from them.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 27, 2016, 06:13:21 PM »
I will be a bit upset if this turns out to be that silly Mack looping spinner concept.

^This in particular. That area could better benefit from a B&M wing or inverted coaster. Or even a smallish terrain hugging GCI Woodie design to replace OzCat.

Plus I am not a fan of spinners. If they must have one, put the Mack Spinner over in between FL and GE by the old Waterboggen Site where I rarely go anyways. lol
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 06:18:49 PM by sdcfan88 »

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 27, 2016, 06:22:22 PM »
Agreed. The spinning coaster idea seems gimmicky to me and more suited for a smaller footprint. If they ever decide to invest in this variety of coaster, I hope it is a minimal one for the sake of filling in a hole to round out an existing area.

mammalone

« Reply #490 on: May 27, 2016, 06:40:45 PM »
I'll be really disappointed if it's a spinner too. They did throw the concept out there in that survey though. My "dip n' dots" guy just said "hey, you'll be happy to know SDC just signed a contract with some German roller coaster manufacturer for a big steel coaster. A $30-40 investment." Exact words. But like I said who knows. That price tag threw everything off from the beginning when I first knew the project was a go. lol Also this is running local contractors thin as Swoosh alluded to.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 27, 2016, 07:01:00 PM »
I'll be really disappointed if it's a spinner too. They did throw the concept out there in that survey though. My "dip n' dots" guy just said "hey, you'll be happy to know SDC just signed a contract with some German roller coaster manufacturer for a big steel coaster. A $30-40 investment." Exact words. But like I said who knows. That price tag threw everything off from the beginning when I first knew the project was a go. lol Also this is running local contractors thin as Swoosh alluded to.

If this is valid, it sounds like Gerstlauer. (the firm behind Dollywood's Firechaser Express) They are also known for the Pandemonium (Big Spin) coaster clones at various Six Flags parks.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 27, 2016, 09:02:31 PM »
Totally speculative, but putting a spinning coaster of any kind on the scale this ride seems to be headed would be a huge gamble in my opinion. That said, I can't see them going in this direction. I certainly hope not anyway. I think it would be a big miss for the park.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #493 on: May 27, 2016, 10:49:15 PM »
And since we're back to pushing around ideas, what about the indoor/outdoor G-fighter concept, aka Mystery Mine? That would make so much sense for this location as it could be screened from EH and fit in nicely with TNT.

There was a ton of talk about them almost pulling the trigger on getting one back in 2007 and 2008. I know MM at DW has lower capacity and some mixed reviews, but I really loved it and I think an improved version would be awesome for SDC.

And if you really believe the German part is accurate, there's also Zierer and Maurer AG, both of whom make smaller launched/vertical drop coasters that could fit inside a building.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #494 on: May 27, 2016, 11:06:07 PM »

If this is valid, it sounds like Gerstlauer. (the firm behind Dollywood's Firechaser Express) They are also known for the Pandemonium (Big Spin) coaster clones at various Six Flags parks.

I didn't realize that Dollywood put in two launched coasters in a row until you reminded me of Firechaser Express.

As for me, I am definitely hoping for any type of B&M coaster and I'm also wondering what this other major offseason project could be that Swoosh mentioned.
Another reason is the fact that this isn't the only large project the park has in store for next season and since there are only so many contractors they can use a one time from the area they had to start early.  It's impossible to start on the other until the entire season is over and the park is closed