What color of crayon tastes the best?

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Other

Author Topic: SDC's 2017 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 218894 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2017 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #375 on: May 20, 2016, 11:06:39 AM »
Or that's just the new access road they're building to the construction site (which it is)
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 20, 2016, 11:09:45 AM »
Just curious, but why would you assume that putting a tunnel under the roadway would not be cost effective and cost more than the ride itself? It's just a four lane road. Assuming there are no utilities to contend with, I would think it's as simple as closing the road one lane at a time, digging to the depth you want the tunnel and burying pre-formed hollow concrete "blocks". When one or two sections are laid, you backfill over them, slap down a new section of pavement and continue moving until you've reached the other side. The county I live in has done this dozens of times as hundreds of miles of old railroad tracks have been converted into a massive network of bike trails. I can't imagine something like this (if they are in fact doing it) being much more than a larger scale version of the same thing. We aren't talking about a million dollars to put a tunnel under 40-60 linear feet of asphalt.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 20, 2016, 11:13:09 AM »
Or that's just the new access road they're building to the construction site (which it is)

Right. But if it's nothing more than a simple access road, why the depth and drop off of the excavating? Why not just minimal clearing that just looks like a natural and level road that seemingly connects to and extends from Indian Point Rd.?

It may not be the beginnings of tunnel work, but there's something more going on there than just providing an access road from Indian Point to another site. Perhaps they're just borrowing dirt and moving it elsewhere for some other elevation-related need.

If I were in Branson and/or visiting the park, you can bet I would have no problem stopping the car and snapping a pic from the side of the road, right into that dirt work.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:18:43 AM by BackInTime9 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 20, 2016, 11:21:51 AM »
The drop off was already there.  They have chewed through a hill to make a flat road and have added fill to make it wider.  It is an access road and nothing more. 
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 20, 2016, 11:28:04 AM »
The drop off was already there.  They have chewed through a hill to make a flat road and have added fill to make it wider.  It is an access road and nothing more.

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

Do you speculate this ride will require wiping out a wide footprint similar to WF and providing a more open feel, or do you envision something closer to OR, where they clearly did everything they could to utilize terrain and minimize tree loss to enhance the aesthetics and ride experience?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:31:24 AM by BackInTime9 »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #380 on: May 20, 2016, 11:29:04 AM »
On a similar note....to the idea of going through a cave.....as amazing as that would be....the change in environment between the outside and in a cave seems like it would be a maintenance nightmare both for the track itself and condition of the cave.  I'd assume at least one new opening would have to be made and that would immediately change the eco-environment and probably attract new wildlife seeking shelter.  Just seems dangerous.

I did not mean to imply that they would use the real cave, but that they would construct a pseudocavern above ground.  People could wait in line inside the cool "cave" and then burst into the sunlight (or starlight) with the bat colony.

Name possibilities:  Batburst, Escape, Nightwing, The Echo, Microchiroptera Mahem
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 20, 2016, 11:34:17 AM »
If you're gonna play with names at this point and love the bat theme for whatever reason, there's only one viable option in my book. 

OH GUANO!  ;D

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #382 on: May 20, 2016, 11:39:41 AM »
I wasn't going there, but of course I would return to my tagline for the cave.  It would also subtitle this attraction and make for a great t-shirt:

GUANO HAPPENS.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 20, 2016, 11:45:10 AM »
Here are some construction photos and we found a marker that you might find interesting.
https://midwestinfoguide.blogspot.com/2016/05/project-2017-sdc.html
SWOOSH

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 20, 2016, 11:52:15 AM »
Thanks for the pics. That's either insanely ignorant, or absolutely hilarious on their part. Love it.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #385 on: May 20, 2016, 11:58:29 AM »
Thanks for the photos Swoosh. I have a feeling the stake is someone messing around, lol.

Just curious, but why would you assume that putting a tunnel under the roadway would not be cost effective and cost more than the ride itself? It's just a four lane road. Assuming there are no utilities to contend with, I would think it's as simple as closing the road one lane at a time, digging to the depth you want the tunnel and burying pre-formed hollow concrete "blocks". When one or two sections are laid, you backfill over them, slap down a new section of pavement and continue moving until you've reached the other side. The county I live in has done this dozens of times as hundreds of miles of old railroad tracks have been converted into a massive network of bike trails. I can't imagine something like this (if they are in fact doing it) being much more than a larger scale version of the same thing. We aren't talking about a million dollars to put a tunnel under 40-60 linear feet of asphalt.

A lot of construction sounds easy, but when you deal with major roadways the costs can easily become astronomical. I don't do cost estimating in my area of work at all, so I have no real idea, but from similar projects I've seen involving overpasses and the like, a few million would be cheap for that kind of tunnel. A lot of it goes beyond just basic construction with all the planning, traffic control, permitting, etc. that has to be done in relation to it. SDC has a major advantage in that this particular roadway doesn't get as much use during the off-season, but the costs are still way more than what should be worth it given all the land they have inside the park.

B&M has built coasters over roadways though (Goliath at SFOG), so a B&M going over the road isn't out of the question.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 20, 2016, 12:26:48 PM »
This larger picture by Swoosh shows more of the construction by the roadway. This one does show the work being more level right next to the road (not necessarily a hole like the TPR picture showed). Access roadway at this location looks to be more feasible.

https://midwestinfoguide.blogspot.com/2016/05/project-2017-sdc.html

Jay

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 20, 2016, 01:09:21 PM »
Is that a C L before the word coaster? What does the C L mean?

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 20, 2016, 01:16:05 PM »
Is that a C L before the word coaster? What does the C L mean?

CL means "Centerline"...........so that would mean center of the track.

Jay

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 20, 2016, 02:23:20 PM »
Great pics Swoosh.  I'm hoping to see the markings when I go Saturday.

I don't doubt HFE would plant those to create some buzz....and I do doubt that they would do it without feeling 100% sure (contract signed) that they are going to put a coaster in!!!!

Guess what I'm saying is....is that a real marker for construction location or a planted just to get us going?
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"