What color of crayon tastes the best?

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Other

Author Topic: SDC's 2017 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 217233 times)

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
Re: SDC's 2017 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #150 on: March 07, 2016, 06:04:59 PM »
I've been hoping for the coaster to be by PK and WF so that we don't have to walk all over the park to ride every coaster, but whatever works best for them.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #151 on: March 07, 2016, 09:42:26 PM »
Moving Echo Hollow over to the entrance makes a ton of sense (as does rebuilding the entrance). I feel like that's one of those things that's probably been floating around on the back burner for ages now, but who knows when they'll actually get the gumption to pull the trigger. It's a lot of investment in what is essentially just infrastructure - they'd only do it if they were serious about making a true push towards turning SDC into a resort park like they're turning DW into.

I'm still willing to bet on a wing rider for 2017, but there's plenty of argument to be made that they're going for something else. I'm completely in the dark on that one. The fact that they seem to be looking at another B&M for 2020 or so makes me wonder...

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2016, 07:15:02 AM »
Moving Echo Hollow over to the entrance makes a ton of sense (as does rebuilding the entrance). I feel like that's one of those things that's probably been floating around on the back burner for ages now, but who knows when they'll actually get the gumption to pull the trigger. It's a lot of investment in what is essentially just infrastructure - they'd only do it if they were serious about making a true push towards turning SDC into a resort park like they're turning DW into.

I'm still willing to bet on a wing rider for 2017, but there's plenty of argument to be made that they're going for something else. I'm completely in the dark on that one. The fact that they seem to be looking at another B&M for 2020 or so makes me wonder...

A giga or hyper with no inversions would be swell.

I'd rather have the Mack concept for 2020

The Echo Hollow relocation makes tons of sense and not just for better exiting after the show and ADA needs. If they are going to start bringing in bigger names, they will need better dressing rooms and docks for equipment, and staging. Yet, that's a ton of concrete to rip up and repour. The old stuff could be used as fill around the park though.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2016, 07:25:36 AM »
I am pretty sure I have not been to an EH show since I was a kid. Not that I wouldnt want to but I am pretty sure my husband just does not do closing hour crowds. He hates leaving with the masses. We usually stay at The Wilderness and use the shuttle. Or Deer Run. Again the shuttle. I would still be sad to see it go. It holds fond memories. And agreed it does contain a LOT of concrete. And I like where it is. Love the night stroll through a quiet park. :) Its charming.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

mammalone

« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2016, 10:35:32 AM »

The B&M 2020 deal makes me wonder as well, Shave. I was pretty sure this year's addition would be a German manufacturer so that would make sense.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2016, 10:49:48 AM »
Thanks for helping to stir the conversation going again, everyone. Swoosh, thanks for reiterating the two major rumors that continue to swirl for next year.

With regard to the work that's already begun in GE (new paint on all the rides), can you give us any insight into whether or not this could be early work that's in fact indicative of a complete theme overhaul and could possibly tie into a new coaster down the line, or is this new paint simply a sprucing up of sorts? In short, are the changes we'll see in GE going to make it look like an entirely new area, or will they go relatively unnoticed with the exception of looking fresh, if that makes sense?

Is it fair to assume that if scenario one you outlined is in fact part of the 2017 plan, that ground work would need to begin pretty quickly? Would they keep Echo open for this season and wait to demo it after the season, or would they need to begin demo now to make way for a new attraction there? I would imagine that work on a relocated Echo could begin immediately if that is the plan. Based on where it sounds like it could move, I don't think it would create any disruption to the park.

Pretty exciting to consider both possibilities, but I will say that I lean toward scenario one for the immediate future. As much as I would love to see a much larger coaster in the park, I do think it's very important for park flow to have a major coaster attraction in or near the areas of GE and/or FL to help balance out the crowds a bit. Putting another major coaster between PK and WF now could really create a lopsided situation with WF, PK, FITH and OR all pretty close to one another already. That would put five coasters in the same vicinity. Doesn't make a ton of sense to me. There is one caveat to point out though. In looking at the satellite view the area near EH, there doesn't appear to a be significant amount of real estate to work with here, so that worries me quite a bit.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 01:07:48 PM by BackInTime9 »

GeyserGulch33

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2016, 01:06:46 PM »
there doesn't appear to a be significant amount of real estate to work with here, so that worry's me quite a bit.

Me too, and not because there's no space at all. It's because there's a roller coaster in the way. :(

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2016, 03:02:02 PM »
 :o

I think some people are finally putting it together
SWOOSH

GeyserGulch33

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 08, 2016, 03:37:46 PM »
:o

I think some people are finally putting it together

Heh kinda ironic, last time I logged in (a few years ago... I named myself after GG long before it was nostalgic to do so lol) there was speculation about TNT being removed sometime in the future, and 2017 seemed to be a consensus if I remember right. I've also noticed especially last year that it's gotten a lot rougher, possibly due to a difference in weather and possibly due to (self-speculated) lesser maintenance. Flooded Mine is also seeming to be neglected, though I'm not sure why you would need to close that as well (or even move the kiddie rides from GE) unless this is a hyper/giga or some other design that takes up that large an amount of space.

Also going to say, if the survey is actually for 2020, and if the rumors about 2017 being a B&M are correct, then either the first option (the Mack spinner) is what they're really judging for or they are fully on the B&M bandwagon, since making an Invert/Wing and then a Dive would make nearly half of their roller coasters (and over half of the ones that actually have something to them) be made by the same company. On the "survey is for 2020" side of things, though, I've heard on another forum that Cedar Fair makes manufacturers sign a 10-year non-compete agreement in a 200-mile radius. If this is the case, this would be the first year SDC could get a B&M Invert, since Patriot at WoF opened in 2006. However, I don't see why FM or the kiddie rides would have to go unless either it's that big of an invert or they want to put the gift shop where FM will have been, or both.

The B&M 2020 deal makes me wonder as well, Shave. I was pretty sure this year's addition would be a German manufacturer so that would make sense.

Mack is a German manufacturer, and something unmistakably from them (the spinning car on a full-sized coaster, which was tested sometime last year at Europa Park) was on the survey. Something to think about.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 03:45:15 PM by GeyserGulch33 »

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2016, 04:12:54 PM »
If they are closing/moving something for the new coaster, wouldn't that need to close early in the season?

GeyserGulch33

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2016, 04:19:36 PM »
If they are closing/moving something for the new coaster, wouldn't that need to close early in the season?

Yup, Geyser Gulch closed in early August 2014 and that was for a comparatively small-scale addition. Leads me to believe either the 2017 isn't going in that spot, it's being delayed to 2018, we will hear official news sooner rather than later (the most likely option IMO), or some combination of the three.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2016, 04:23:10 PM »
If Geyser Gulch closed in August, then I feel like whatever could be replaced would have to close in June at the absolute latest, considering how big of a project Swoosh has said this is supposed to be.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2016, 05:10:59 PM »
I'm just reporting rumors.  I'm not even pretending to know what is going on with this project. 
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2016, 05:24:34 PM »
Just a head's up. The official website says that the Echo Hollow show is running through October 29th. They even list specific dates in August and September the show will not be performing. I don't think the website would advertise the show would be running basically the entire season if it wasn't going to. Although I can't remember what the website said about Geyser Gulch for a reference point.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 05:25:17 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2016, 05:35:15 PM »
I'm just reporting rumors.  I'm not even pretending to know what is going on with this project.

It sounds like you know ;)