What color of crayon tastes the best?

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Other

Author Topic: SDC's 2017 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 219228 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2017 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2016, 07:44:24 AM »
I wish they'd rebuild it the way it was meant to be and turn the area into a nice food court,
Now that the serenity is gone from the swinging bridge I would think the falls will soon go away.  I don't know why they don't see the value in the quiet spots used to refresh, recharge and break from the action.  The lumbercamp waterfall was always a favorite.  I will hate to see another water feature go away.  Falls outside GM,  Water spraying from the water tank at fith, its time to remove more special mood enhancing touches apparently.  When they are all gone people will scratch their heads and ask what changed.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 07:49:53 AM by mhguy77 »

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2016, 09:39:05 AM »
I would hate to see such a great feature go. I have memories of being a child and walking behind the waterfall and how cool that was. We love to dine near it today. Its a nice slow calming feature that does help us to enjoy our visit. I would HATE to see an attraction go up there in the waterfalls place. Its just one more special note that will be removed. Sad for sure.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2016, 01:03:31 PM »
I think many, myself included, appreciate those unsung nooks within the park that are not only aesthetically pleasing, but offer a reprieve from the chaos of the park around them. Unfortunately, those spots will never be a priority because charm doesn't spell entertainment, and entertainment is what gets people to Branson, to the park, and through the turnstiles.

I think the PTB greatly value the character of the park that sets it apart from so many others. However, progress always has a price and sometimes that means changes and additions will often spell the removal of elements that for many were synonymous with their experience and memories at SDC. Most of the park I knew as a kid is gone, and several pieces of the SDC my own kids have already experienced will be replaced in time as well.

This is totally speculative and in no way intended to veer off the subject of 2017 plans, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if in the next 10 years, FITH, FM AP and TNT were all removed to make way for newer improved versions, or something dramatically different.

Hollwood

« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2016, 01:37:26 PM »
I don't mean to sound reasonable or anything... but what if the PTB are noticing that these areas, built in the 50's, 60's, and 70's are literally falling apart? Not built up to code? A danger to employees and guests? If the waterfall were to crumble on an operating day how would that area look? I would rather areas be cleaned up and updated proactively rather than seeing voids mid season. The reason the PTB will not keep these areas is because there is no ROI. It sounds greedy, but the money put into the park has to return a profit. I have never heard anyone say "I bought a season pass because of the waterfall." it may be an area they enjoy, but it is the new stuff that keeps people returning. It is the same reason you do not spend $2000 fixing your 1988 mazda pickup... You use that $2000 as a down payment on a 2016 model.

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2016, 01:49:17 PM »
In light of my last post and the subject of this thread, I can only imagine how much different and more fun the park will be 10 years from now. Considering the speculation about SDC potentially undergoing their largest investment to-date for 2017, and what's been added looking back 10 years, I think that bodes very well for the future.

It should be interesting to see what that looks like come 2026. The park has added considerably since 2006, but most of it (although well done and needed in some cases) was pretty vanilla with the exception of TGS and OR. And by vanilla, I'm talking about non-thrill ride attractions. SDC will never be a Cedar Point, but now that the park has two large areas dedicated to "family fun", they're going to have to start dumping some additional funds into really moving the needle on patron engagement. I would think the construction of OR and the exposure it generated were a valuable lesson into what is going to be needed in the years to come to stay competitive. 

Is there any reason to believe that if we are in fact getting a sizable coaster next year, that work would begin ahead of an announcement that I'm guessing would not happen until the end of summer at the earliest?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 01:56:53 PM by BackInTime9 »

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2016, 02:03:05 PM »
I think Swoosh has said that some construction has already begun, just nothing major.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2016, 05:54:00 PM »
If they are trying to work on crowd control and walkways, it's obvious they have more visitors than they can handle now, so I'm for preserving the small stuff....Grandfather's Mansion, the waterfall, the bridge. If those are things we notice now and love, they will be things that future visitors remember also.  They may need a little advertising or some signs to let them know these things exist.  Like Trams, I remember how special the walk behind the waterfall used to be.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2016, 09:59:36 PM »
I don't mean to sound reasonable or anything... but what if the PTB are noticing that these areas, built in the 50's, 60's, and 70's are literally falling apart? Not built up to code? A danger to employees and guests? If the waterfall were to crumble on an operating day how would that area look? I would rather areas be cleaned up and updated proactively rather than seeing voids mid season. The reason the PTB will not keep these areas is because there is no ROI. It sounds greedy, but the money put into the park has to return a profit. I have never heard anyone say "I bought a season pass because of the waterfall." it may be an area they enjoy, but it is the new stuff that keeps people returning. It is the same reason you do not spend $2000 fixing your 1988 mazda pickup... You use that $2000 as a down payment on a 2016 model.

Yeah, the old stuff does fall apart, and as we always go over, the argument from the old timers is that it's all worth saving because it's what we paid to get in to experience back before the rides existed. It's always worth discussing ROI, but it's not always so straightforward. I always say the little stuff has more value than it's given credit for. I think back just a decade ago about all the stuff I used to point out to people about what made the park special, and now so much of it is gone, piece by piece. Old discussion though.

Anyhow, who's going to be there on March 12 to look for markings? I'm not planning on making a trip until April.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2016, 10:05:45 PM »
I will be as long as the weather is good.  I'll be on the lookout for markers.  May even go to coaster corner.  Since I'm not a coaster fan, that's a big deal.  Lol!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2016, 07:47:42 AM »
I will be there on the 20th,  weather permitting.

anxious to see winter improvements,

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 09, 2016, 07:48:45 AM »
I will be there opening weekend!!! Just point me in the right direction and I will nose around!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

pintrader

« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2016, 08:41:11 AM »

Maybe the waterfall alone doesn't sell season passes or bring a ROI but the overall beauty of the park does.  I dont know of anyone that leaves the park and doesn't have an appreciation of that beauty.   The waterfall in my opinion is a small part of that.  It's true you might not put $2000 fixing up your 1988 Mazda but you might fixing up your 1965 Mustang. 

MoOzark

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I raised the Dizzy Dogs from little pups.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2016, 08:56:02 AM »
The area of the waterfall would not be a good place to build a ride or structure. It sits in a low place that may be a sinkhole, possibly a geological feature associated with the cave. My opinion is that it should be left as a waterfall or maintained as a natural wooded area. 

One of reasons folks choose to go to SDC is because of the natural beauty of the hills. They may enjoy riding the train but they are also looking out into the woods and getting a peaceful, relaxing feeling from that. If the park were to loose its "atmosphere" then it wouldn't be the same. It would just be another "Six Flags" type of park. I believe Mary Herschend understood that very well. In addition to the rides, crafts, shopping, and entertainment, I believe there should always be an accommodation of nature.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2016, 12:14:54 PM »
The area of the waterfall would not be a good place to build a ride or structure. It sits in a low place that may be a sinkhole, possibly a geological feature associated with the cave. My opinion is that it should be left as a waterfall or maintained as a natural wooded area. 

One of reasons folks choose to go to SDC is because of the natural beauty of the hills. They may enjoy riding the train but they are also looking out into the woods and getting a peaceful, relaxing feeling from that. If the park were to loose its "atmosphere" then it wouldn't be the same. It would just be another "Six Flags" type of park. I believe Mary Herschend understood that very well. In addition to the rides, crafts, shopping, and entertainment, I believe there should always be an accommodation of nature.

There's no maybe to it.  That's the reason
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »
Still, I would rather have a water feature that looked more natural.  Even as a kid, I wondered why water was gushing from a point above ground level.  It never looked natural, and a quick look at the back side reveals very hollow and artificial rockwork.  I would not lament its passing, but do miss the more natural-looking water features, which, by their simple existence, psychologically cool visitors who stop to admire them.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating