What color of crayon tastes the best?

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Other

Author Topic: SDC's 2017 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 217166 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2017 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2015, 02:18:30 PM »
The bridge is a timeless, unique, quaint part of the city that virtually all visitors have fond memories of... but it's old, non-ADA compliant, and requires upkeep without being "marketable" in and of itself, so it's probably on the chopping block.  ::)

And Laroy, the bridge swings naturally as people walk across it. It's not supposed to be a damn ride like the kids try to make it into. The rules are there so people don't break it again.  ::)

^^^.  Thanks Shave.. ;D

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2015, 05:14:02 PM »
More than that, the rules are to protect the company from being sued by the parents of the brats who disrespect the park by breaking the rules.

Now, back to our program...
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2015, 09:53:04 AM »
Does SDC own the land on the other side of Indian Point Drive? 

It would be cool if the could build a coaster over the road to the woods on the other side from GE/Hollow.  Would add to the 'entrance experience' and maybe still keep the riders in the theme park SDC past for most of the ride? 

I doubt that they would get approval to build over a public road though.  Or maybe under it with a tunnel?

Just doesn't seem to be enough room for a major ride in my mind.  Would have to be somewhat condensed or open to either the park or street.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2015, 12:11:16 PM »
^That's not going to be a popular idea on these boards. Taking a ride over the road would definitely be leaving the 1880's atmosphere we desire the park to uphold. SDC is a different style theme park than other parks so the entrance experience should be different as well.

Could we be getting a dark ride in this spot? Something like the Ice House concept we have talked about so much?
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2015, 03:32:43 PM »
The Ice House is something that has never been forgotten among fans who "know" about it.  I would love the Ice House concept and hope the ride would be part dark/part thrill - or all dark would even be preferred by me.  My fear is that it will look too industrial if designers aren't careful.  I would hate to see something themed at SDC that would look like Mr. Freeze at SF!  Something will some steampunk would even be all right, wouldn't it?  Would it have smatterings of the ice maker in Back to the Future Part 3? Would it be acceptable in the place of Flooded Mine and its surrounding area?  I just wonder if the concept is still on the table since so many years have passed since it was pitched.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2015, 04:00:59 PM »
I remember the Ice House concept from the survey years ago.  I thought it was great....though a DW Mystery Mine type of ride doesn't seem very family friendly....I'd rather either have to big crazy coaster or lighter nicely themed family experience.

Didn't they have the horse racing concept too? 
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2015, 06:01:14 PM »
The Ice House was SDC's version of Mystery Mine.  That project was canceled.
SWOOSH

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2015, 09:15:54 AM »
Good idea Shave. Maybe an elevator type thing like a dumb waiter system for people or some other type of thing that can go up and down by pulling the rope and getting off at the top, without needing electricity for it.

FireInTheHole

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2015, 07:25:46 PM »
I would like to see 2017 show some remodels on our fav rides.  The FIH and FM need a severe makeover.  I think some new touches here and there would be great for those rides.  I would also like to see more street performers around the park.  It seems like 15-20 years ago there was a lot more busy things to see around the park.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2015, 08:11:24 PM »
If I am not mistaken though, if the PTB dumped too much into either ride they would have to look into making handicapp accessabble functions. Which is not a bad deal. However, it would be costly. Do they want to invest that kind of money into vintage attractions? I dont know. And I could be so wrong on all fronts here.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2015, 08:17:37 PM »
If and when FITH and FM become condemned, they would rather rip the whole thing out and start over again then to repair and upkeep what is there.  It's going to happen sooner than later. 

2017 is pretty well set as to what is going to happen though.  Projects like this have to be planned several years in advance
SWOOSH

FireInTheHole

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2015, 11:50:27 AM »
If we can't remodel the classics, then can we at least make the cinnamon rolls and sticky buns a little bit bigger?  You can never eat too many of those things!

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2015, 07:23:28 AM »

It would be cool if the could build a coaster over the road to the woods on the other side from GE/Hollow.  Would add to the 'entrance experience' and maybe still keep the riders in the theme park SDC past for most of the ride? 

I doubt that they would get approval to build over a public road though.  Or maybe under it with a tunnel?

Just doesn't seem to be enough room for a major ride in my mind.  Would have to be somewhat condensed or open to either the park or street.

FYI, SCD and Herschend doesn't own the land the park occupies, they have a lease agreement. The land is owned by the church and the College of the Ozarks. With that said, the church and the college owns pretty much all of that section including the land on the east side of Indian Point road. Crossing over the road would be much less expensive than crossing under - but you then have to think how this would affect the atmosphere of SDC? I personally think it could build excitement and if signed and themed correctly it could start you on your time warp back to the 1800's as soon as you turn on Indian Point road. Also by extending with a coaster in that direction you have kept the integrity of the core park and not screwed up very much the natural landscaping.

2017 is pretty well set as to what is going to happen though.  Projects like this have to be planned several years in advance

Would it be way off base to think that SDC could be the first installation of the RMC - T-Rex track? This would be something new with a proven company (that has worked with SDC and Herschend before).....The minimum supports required for the track would allow most of the trees to stay and the coaster would blend nicely with the surroundings.

Jay

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2015, 09:00:41 AM »

It would not be a long shot to send a coaster across the road although you would have to enclose the "tunnel" over the road.  That could be done easy enough to keep attention away from what is right there under you.  Just go to Disney, they have water bridges there you don't even realize you have gone across.  BUT  If you look at google earth across the road is a water treatment, sewage? plant.  That being in the middle of that valley between SDC and the campground would be out of theme and hard to hide.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2015, 12:23:02 PM »

Would it be way off base to think that SDC could be the first installation of the RMC - T-Rex track? This would be something new with a proven company (that has worked with SDC and Herschend before).....The minimum supports required for the track would allow most of the trees to stay and the coaster would blend nicely with the surroundings.

Jay

I could see SDC getting a TRex style coaster, but I don't know if they would want to get another RMC coaster right away even though OR and a TRex coaster would be completely different. Also, would Herschend want to work with RMC for a coaster in 2016 and a coaster in 2017?  I still would like to see them get a B&M Wing Coaster.