What color of crayon tastes the best?

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Other

Author Topic: SDC's 2017 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 217276 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2017 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2015, 03:29:00 PM »
IF they move those 3 rides to HDH, that will fill that area up fast., as well as we will loose more of the trees and growth..  There isn't room without doing some demo of tress and surrounding area first. ::)

And then once again, you have ride around the walking bridge, so it is no longer peaceful and serene :'(

Quite honestly, I'm shocked we still have the bridge. Nearly every time I'm near it, kids are doing what you are not supposed to be doing on it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 06:25:51 AM by chittlins »

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2015, 04:34:53 PM »
IF they move those 3 rides to HDH, that will fill that area up fast., as well as we will loose more of the trees and growth..  There isn't room without doing some demo of tress and surrounding area first. ::)

And then once again, you have ride around the walking bridge, so it is no longer peaceful and serene :'(

Quote honestly, I'm shocked we still have the bridge. Nearly every time I'm near it, kids are doing what you are not supposed to be doing on it.

That's a good point too, I actually walked over it this last sunday, yep kids!  Bouncing in front of mom and dad... "you kids stop that",   Nope! they just bounced harder and walked side to side..
I hadn't thought about them pulling bridge, it would be missed by seasoned visitors..... But............. ??? ???

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2015, 05:14:02 PM »
Its a SWINGING bridge. Its suppost to swing. If you tell people not to skip, jump, run, sway, or swing on it, then whats the point of it swinging? If they dont want ot to swing, then rebuild it and dont call it the Swinging Bridge. By the way, why do they have signs that say no jumping? I know you cant run in the park but you have to skip or jump on it to make it move. Its not like it will ever fall down. Those cables are very strong and could probably hold for another 20 years. So kids, keep jumping and skipping!

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
About 81, during Young Christians Weekend, too many kids overloaded the swinging bridge and started bouncing. It did break. It did not fall, but those kids busted it good. Nobody hurt. It took about a month or so before it was back, repaired, and ready to open, so it can be damaged with misuse.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2015, 06:29:53 PM »
The park always uses really good cables that have very little chance of breaking. I never heard this happened. I started seeing those signs about 10 years ago. Why did they rebuild it if it could fall again. Again, it is called the swinging bridge. Not the, no more than 20 kids bridge.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2015, 06:45:03 PM »
Well like with any other man made item, things can break. They have a weight limit for elevators, right? And those run on cables! They can snap. Same with the bridge. If too much pressure/tension is applied to the cables they will give out!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2015, 06:52:23 PM »
Its a SWINGING bridge. Its suppost to swing. If you tell people not to skip, jump, run, sway, or swing on it, then whats the point of it swinging? If they dont want ot to swing, then rebuild it and dont call it the Swinging Bridge. By the way, why do they have signs that say no jumping? I know you cant run in the park but you have to skip or jump on it to make it move. Its not like it will ever fall down. Those cables are very strong and could probably hold for another 20 years. So kids, keep jumping and skipping!

Uh...I don't think you get it.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2015, 07:30:10 PM »
The bridge is a timeless, unique, quaint part of the city that virtually all visitors have fond memories of... but it's old, non-ADA compliant, and requires upkeep without being "marketable" in and of itself, so it's probably on the chopping block.  ::)

I don't know how else they'd fit all three rides in if that is the plan. However, why would they move all three? It makes it easier on everyone if they are spread out a bit instead of being forced to stay in one or two areas all day.

And Laroy, the bridge swings naturally as people walk across it. It's not supposed to be a damn ride like the kids try to make it into. The rules are there so people don't break it again.  ::)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2015, 08:30:43 PM »
There are suspended bridges for automobile travel, as well.  They are affectionately referred to as "swinging" bridges, but do not infer that they are meant to sway from side to side or bounce when your car traverses them.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2015, 11:32:23 PM »
There are suspended bridges for automobile travel, as well.  They are affectionately referred to as "swinging" bridges, but do not infer that they are meant to sway from side to side or bounce when your car traverses them.

Do they move in some way? Then they do swing. Some move left and right, sometimes to let boats pass.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:33:28 PM by Laroy »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2015, 06:35:14 AM »

Do they move in some way? Then they do swing. Some move left and right, sometimes to let boats pass.

Stop, just stop.

https://youtu.be/j-zczJXSxnw

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2015, 10:10:55 AM »
I will miss the swinging bridge should the PTB take it away. Its just one more thing that would be gone. Pretty soon we will have to have a montage like at the end of Sandlot where the boys are playing ball and then just fade away. Except the attractions did not go on to grow up and do something with their lives. They went to the bone yard to die. 
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2015, 11:40:18 AM »
Adding fuel to the fire on the bridge being removed...
Sullivan's Mill is supposed to get a new ADA friendly entrance on the side the bridge is on. I don't know how they'd pull that off without removing the bridge.
SWOOSH

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2015, 12:47:20 PM »
If they remove the swinging bridge, I hope that they put a covered one or somethng there to replace it. We use that bridge multiple times for cutting across the park, not as an attraction but more like a short cut from TNT to Wildfire, AP, etc.

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2015, 01:02:38 PM »
Adding fuel to the fire on the bridge being removed...
Sullivan's Mill is supposed to get a new ADA friendly entrance on the side the bridge is on. I don't know how they'd pull that off without removing the bridge.

Not to mention the water wheel itself and the actual working mill. One or the other would have to go, but I assume they'd try to leave the wheel in place for aesthetics. Might as well tear it down too to make room for another coaster.

I feel like it's gotta be more than possible to regrade the front entrance area, but you'd have to stick an elevator somewhere.