What color of crayon tastes the best?

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Other

Author Topic: SDC's 2017 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 217299 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2017 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #360 on: May 19, 2016, 04:49:44 PM »
I've not ridden one so do not judge, but can someone please enlighten me on what makes a dive coaster so special? I get that the first drop is often vertical or beyond vertical, but is that really the cache'? Again, I have yet to ride one, but the idea that the coaster basically hangs you in position and just drops you into the onset of the ride seems like it would take away from the traditional method of continued momentum that pushes and/or pulls you over the first lift hill into the first drop. Seems like there's something left to be desired. And most layouts I've seen look relatively vanilla beyond that first drop. Can anyone please shed some light on this type of coaster for those of us who have not experienced one? Not being judgmental, just asking for some insight.

It really is all about the vertical drops. They are much more thrilling than they look. The train design, holding brake, and steep lift hills really amplify it all. I've only been on Oblivion, which has been far out-shown at this point, but it really surprised me with how forceful the drop was. The steep lifts and drop make it much easier to theme as well.

There's still the other possibility: this could all be for an echo hollow rebuild.  ;)

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #361 on: May 19, 2016, 04:54:38 PM »

It really is all about the vertical drops. They are much more thrilling than they look. The train design, holding brake, and steep lift hills really amplify it all. I've only been on Oblivion, which has been far out-shown at this point, but it really surprised me with how forceful the drop was. The steep lifts and drop make it much easier to theme as well.

That and the park could really benefit from another rollercoaster with tunnels/interior elements like ThuNderaTion did. I kinda thought that was a missed opportunity when they converted Buzzsaw into Powderkeg. That ride could have totally benefited from that. Just think after that first airtime hill from the launch instead of it curving and dipping into another hill it could have instead went straight into the hillside and through a big tunnel and then out by the railroad tracks to meet with the old Buzzsaw track.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 04:58:10 PM by sdcfan88 »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #362 on: May 19, 2016, 06:27:40 PM »
Bat Theme?   :-\   Maybe for a wing coaster but for an invert it would be way too close to all the SF batman rides.

A dive coaster interacting with TnT would be amazing.

How about a back story of a unlucky ozark local having an accident with explosives?   ;D

That's why I said a bat was an uncreative theme.  Done correctly, like having it fly out of the Marvel Mine, and I could see it working.

I'm tired of using accidental explosives as a theme.  We already have explosives with PK, WF, FitH, and even FM.  ThuNderaTion is abbreviated TnT.  Even the Diving Bell had explosives.  I'd rather see some more thought put into it.  I know explosives are a natural part of mining, but there's got to be something else.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: May 19, 2016, 08:20:01 PM »
I love the idea of a mine theme. Something to tie the ride with Marvel Cave would be awesome. As I've said many times before, I trust SDC and until they prove otherwise I am waiting with nothing but anticipation for this.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: May 19, 2016, 09:34:08 PM »
Of course the explosive statement was sarcastic....

If its a winged coaster and I had to bet on it.....I'd guess it will be a some sort of bird name. 

Any type of "____Hawk" usually does well....lol   Redhawk, blackhawk, Steelhawk, Thunderhawk, Ozarkhawk?

Maybe it could be themed to be a Jailbreak from FM!!!! 
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #365 on: May 19, 2016, 09:35:48 PM »

If its a winged coaster and I had to bet on it.....I'd guess it will be a some sort of bird name. 

Any type of "____Hawk" usually does well....lol   Redhawk, blackhawk, Steelhawk, Thunderhawk, Ozarkhawk?

This isn't Cedarfair.  Herschend Family Entertainment is a little more original with names
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: May 19, 2016, 09:38:50 PM »

Buzzard

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: May 19, 2016, 10:30:30 PM »

Buzzard

Jailbird
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 10:33:30 PM by History Buff »

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: May 19, 2016, 10:32:55 PM »

I totally missed it...or fell for it... :P

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: May 20, 2016, 07:53:14 AM »
This photo on TPR shows the construction very close to the roadway.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/files/image_2273.jpeg

From my experience with construction, when you are this close to a roadway and that deep, it usually means you are making a bore pit to tunnel under the roadway. But pictures can be illusions and the construction not actually be that close to the road, but with the cones on the roadway I think it's pretty close to the edge.

Jay

Disclaimer: this post is only a guess based on an observation of one photo and personal historical construction experience. Any indication I have a clue what is being constructed is only coincidental and any disclosure of confidential construction activity is completely accidental.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: May 20, 2016, 08:29:31 AM »
Indian Point is a public highway.....if it was a tunnel for the ride....I'd assume a tunneling project would have had to been approved and known to the public by now.  I assume the same for any ideas to go over the road too.

On a similar note....to the idea of going through a cave.....as amazing as that would be....the change in environment between the outside and in a cave seems like it would be a maintenance nightmare both for the track itself and condition of the cave.  I'd assume at least one new opening would have to be made and that would immediately change the eco-environment and probably attract new wildlife seeking shelter.  Just seems dangerous.

Jailbird would be great :)   A few of the FM guys tunnel out into the nearby mine....  At the end of the ride they end up back in jail?  "O Brother where are thou" music playing....

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: May 20, 2016, 09:10:06 AM »
Indian Point is a public highway.....if it was a tunnel for the ride....I'd assume a tunneling project would have had to been approved and known to the public by now.  I assume the same for any ideas to go over the road too.

On a similar note....to the idea of going through a cave.....as amazing as that would be....the change in environment between the outside and in a cave seems like it would be a maintenance nightmare both for the track itself and condition of the cave.  I'd assume at least one new opening would have to be made and that would immediately change the eco-environment and probably attract new wildlife seeking shelter.  Just seems dangerous.

Jailbird would be great :)   A few of the FM guys tunnel out into the nearby mine....  At the end of the ride they end up back in jail?  "O Brother where are thou" music playing....

As long as the coaster is bonafide and the ride attendants all use Dapper Dan.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: May 20, 2016, 09:25:21 AM »

"Yessir, the South is gonna change. Everything's gonna be put on electricity and run on a paying basis. Out with old spiritual mumbo-jumbo, the superstition and the backward ways. We're gonna see a brave new world where they run everyone a wire and hook us all up to the grid. Yessir, a veritable age of reason - like they had in France. And not a moment too soon..." "Watcha riding there?....." "Rolltop desk"

This could explain why the mine flooded!!!! (but not why it's a jail?)

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: May 20, 2016, 09:50:14 AM »
This photo on TPR shows the construction very close to the roadway.

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/files/image_2273.jpeg

From my experience with construction, when you are this close to a roadway and that deep, it usually means you are making a bore pit to tunnel under the roadway. But pictures can be illusions and the construction not actually be that close to the road, but with the cones on the roadway I think it's pretty close to the edge.

Jay

Disclaimer: this post is only a guess based on an observation of one photo and personal historical construction experience. Any indication I have a clue what is being constructed is only coincidental and any disclosure of confidential construction activity is completely accidental.

Thanks so much for sharing the pic. That looks an awful lot like work leading up to tunneling under Indian Point Rd. Can anyone offer any other explanation or guess as to why in the world they would be excavating that deeply right next to the road? That would be something it this is what's actually going on. And it would play right into the photo I posted yesterday of extending the circuit under or over the road to extend the footprint of the coaster into the area on the other side, which affords all kinds of possibilities...and exposure to people not yet in the park.

Whatever's going on it's getting juicy. They could be putting in another parking lot here for all we know, but when the Earth starts turning over, man the speculation sure is fun.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #374 on: May 20, 2016, 10:33:52 AM »
Hard to say from the photo, but the depth there could just be the topography, or they could just be putting a culvert in. It would be awesome to have a tunnel under the roadway, but not something I'd ever guess them doing just based on cost-effectiveness. The tunnel would end up costing more than the ride itself. Just my assumption though.