Author Topic: What's going on in NWA, 2021  (Read 57025 times)

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in NWA, Spring 17
« Reply #90 on: July 09, 2017, 05:02:39 PM »
Amazon is giving Walmart some stiff competition. There is always gonna be someone who knocks down the king of the hill. When I was a kid, no one could touch Sears or JC Penny...my how time changes things. Anyone remember Montgomery Ward, lol!
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 09, 2017, 07:20:21 PM »
Amazon is giving Walmart some stiff competition. There is always gonna be someone who knocks down the king of the hill. When I was a kid, no one could touch Sears or JC Penny...my how time changes things. Anyone remember Montgomery Ward, lol!

I am *just* old enough to remember Montgomery Ward! My grandpa always called it "Monkey Ward," LOL.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2017, 07:46:17 PM »

I am *just* old enough to remember Montgomery Ward! My grandpa always called it "Monkey Ward," LOL.

The funny thing is that Amazon is basically the Sears catalog   of today. You look at a page and order an item and if it is broke or it doesn't fit it's a pain. But, hey it's the "in" thing. I rarely find a place that much different than I can find locally.

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2017, 08:15:24 PM »

I loved Wards as a kid.  We used to shop there pretty often.

The funny thing is that Amazon is basically the Sears catalog   of today. You look at a page and order an item and if it is broke or it doesn't fit it's a pain. But, hey it's the "in" thing. I rarely find a place that much different than I can find locally.

This is why I am so shocked and saddened by how poorly Sears is doing right now.  If anyone should have been Amazon today, it's Sears with all of their catalog experience.  They absolutely blew the opportunity to lead the field in what they were already doing.  Instead they are stuck back over 20 years ago, with aging, ugly stores that no one wants to go into and about to close up forever.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2017, 11:19:12 PM »

I loved Wards as a kid.  We used to shop there pretty often.

This is why I am so shocked and saddened by how poorly Sears is doing right now.  If anyone should have been Amazon today, it's Sears with all of their catalog experience.  They absolutely blew the opportunity to lead the field in what they were already doing.  Instead they are stuck back over 20 years ago, with aging, ugly stores that no one wants to go into and about to close up forever.

Sears doubled down on soft lines and lost. In the process they over populated their appliance dept with no hope of keeping even 25 percent of it in stock. I get that Kenmorees are made by the others but you compete with yourself while carrying the samething with different name. Same went for electronics. Way too many skus. They abandoned sporting goods except for exercise equipment. In the following years they diminished their Craftsman brand by outsourcing it all to China. You can't change the same price for something that no longer has any differentiation from all the other brands out there. Not even going to touch on them squandering the Auto Center business.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 12, 2017, 06:46:07 AM »

Amazon has amazing customer service. Just made my first order with Alexa on Prime day. Took the opportunity on Prime day to stock up on essentials. I could go the rest of my life and never step inside a brick and mortar store. So far now it is almost 4 years without being in a wally world or Sams club.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in NWA, Fall 17
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2017, 01:44:30 PM »
5-7 years to complete.  Its right off of the new exit being built off i49.  They have been quietly buying up that land for years (namely the houses).  Of course they already owned most if it and it's right beside the Tech campus that already exists.  It's both much needed and a little bit of a strange move if you understand how un-walmart this actually is.  The company is historically been proud that its HQ is basically ran out of an old distribution center and re-purposed stores.  Already have thousands of people working in that area so is going to be a real mess during this time to actually build it all.  I know some of the operations in the area have already been moved.

Already a lot of rumors about what will happen to the current offices.

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2017, 08:45:46 PM »
5-7 years to complete.  Its right off of the new exit being built off i49.  They have been quietly buying up that land for years (namely the houses).  Of course they already owned most if it and it's right beside the Tech campus that already exists.  It's both much needed and a little bit of a strange move if you understand how un-walmart this actually is.  The company is historically been proud that its HQ is basically ran out of an old distribution center and re-purposed stores.  Already have thousands of people working in that area so is going to be a real mess during this time to actually build it all.  I know some of the operations in the area have already been moved.

Already a lot of rumors about what will happen to the current offices.

You wanna know where that new larger theater will go  ;)
They'll tie the old campus in with the fairground stuff they are pushing. I wonder how larger they'll make Say Morning Meeting arena. Butter yet, will it be placed to be something else as well given the interstate access.

If this gets them out of old stores and open them up for redevelopment particularly the Old Bentonville store, it'll be great.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2017, 09:49:33 AM »
idk if it will impact the current stores. 

The current HO auditorium wouldn't be a very good movie theatre....imo....my uninformed guess would be that that whole build would be probably just get leveled and redeveloped.  They have been using the new auditorium over at the Tech Center (and co-broadcasting from/to other locations) for the morning meetings for a few years now.  The 3 story building closest to Walton is an old reinforced (bunker like) data center that isn't used as that but still holds a operations center (and regular offices).  It will be interesting to see if they leave that.

I'm hearing a new fitness center will be the first thing replaced.  The already just finished moving one of the oldest DCs across town from that property.  They still have two other DCs and 5-6 medium to large office complex in that area.  It will be interesting to see how the transition everything around to make it happen.  No doubt when it's completed....those that couple of miles of property could be the most densely populated in the state most weekdays.

Also...as one of the leaders put it.  They are proud that then didn't play the shake down game with every state/city in the country (unlike what a competitor is currently doing)

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 09:51:57 AM by HumphreyHawk »
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2017, 09:15:06 PM »
idk if it will impact the current stores. 

The current HO auditorium wouldn't be a very good movie theatre....imo....my uninformed guess would be that that whole build would be probably just get leveled and redeveloped.  They have been using the new auditorium over at the Tech Center (and co-broadcasting from/to other locations) for the morning meetings for a few years now.  The 3 story building closest to Walton is an old reinforced (bunker like) data center that isn't used as that but still holds a operations center (and regular offices).  It will be interesting to see if they leave that.

I'm hearing a new fitness center will be the first thing replaced.  The already just finished moving one of the oldest DCs across town from that property.  They still have two other DCs and 5-6 medium to large office complex in that area.  It will be interesting to see how the transition everything around to make it happen.  No doubt when it's completed....those that couple of miles of property could be the most densely populated in the state most weekdays.

Also...as one of the leaders put it.  They are proud that then didn't play the shake down game with every state/city in the country (unlike what a competitor is currently doing)

If you thought I was suggesting a repurpose, I wasn't. They'll.bulldoze that whole thing. I'm told everything but the Sam's and IT will be getting replaced.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 29, 2017, 09:32:24 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen this.

http://talkbusiness.net/2017/09/nwa-planners-to-apply-for-federal-grant-to-complete-i-49-gap-between-missouri-and-arkansas/

Our side is completely funded now and this is Arkansas trying to get money for Missouri.

The word is if Arkansas can get the money to build the new bridge in Ft. Smith for I-49, they are going to get after the south part quicker by making it tolled. Fine by me. Anything to avoid McAlister to Durant on US 69.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in NWA, 2018
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2018, 09:19:00 AM »
God help us if this guy is correct with his 90,000 housing units needed in 3 to 5 years. At 3 souls per unit, that's 270,000 people, making NWA around  800,000. If that was to continue till about 2030, yikes.
https://talkbusiness.net/2018/01/growth-to-continue-during-2018-in-northwest-arkansas-state-human-and-financial-capital-key-to-long-term-growth/

Good problem for SDC to have in their backyard.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:05:53 AM by chittlins »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: What's going on in NWA, 2018
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2018, 08:33:41 PM »
Over a wide area, maybe. It seems we may be heading into another market pull back of some nature though... hard to say how that will affect NWA. Good thing about this area is that it is at least somewhat diversified. 

I'll be interested to see how it bleeds over westward toward Tulsa and vice versa. Historically, NWA has made use of Tulsa for access to major things it didn't have like the airport and the arena with the big acts coming through. Now they are starting to grow towards getting those things on their own, with the expansion of their airport and such.

It's spread out, but it really is a super region that SDC has to draw from.