Author Topic: What's going on in NWA, 2021  (Read 57057 times)

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in NWA, Spring 16
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2016, 05:35:50 PM »
Just in time for when nobody watches local or live tv anymore :P
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2016, 07:32:26 PM »
Just in time for when nobody watches local or live tv anymore :P

The redo of the interchange in Fayetteville  starts in a couple of weeks, it will be a cluster for a couple of years.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2016, 08:21:51 AM »
XNA is getting nonstops via American to Reagan National in April.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in NWA, Winter16-17
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2016, 11:51:22 AM »

How does the airport in Springfield compare to the one in the Fayetteville area?  Same size? Which one would you rather use if you were about equal distance between the two?

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in NWA, Winter16-17
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2016, 04:29:19 PM »

How does the airport in Springfield compare to the one in the Fayetteville area?  Same size? Which one would you rather use if you were about equal distance between the two?

XNA likely has more flights and it's got more passengers, cost isn't an advantage but connections to hubs via legacies is. Allegiant doesn't offer too many destinations, Orlando and Vegas with seasonal LAX. If a Sprit moved in, it would stimulate more vacation O&D. As it stands there's lots of bleed to Tulsa and Southwest on that front.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in NWA, Spring 17
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2017, 08:26:50 AM »
Updated US Census figures show NWA is fast approaching top 100 size metro size status. Adding about 31 people a day. Percentage wise that's up there with Dallas and other fast growing regions. That said folks in NWA think the census data is lowballing the growth and expects it to be revises upward.
http://talkbusiness.net/2017/03/census-estimate-shows-northwest-arkansas-continues-to-lead-state-in-pace-of-population-growth/

These numbers are reflected in the fact that home permits for the area is up over 20% from this time last year and the apartment market is very tight. Once the Area cracks the top 100, the commercial real estate guys expect a wave of new retailers enter the market.

Top Golf and Dave and Busters seemed to be sniffing for locations as it is.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 08:38:54 AM by chittlins »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2017, 08:51:18 PM »
Well....A very well known NWA company has been going through some pretty major layoffs the past two days that hit very very very close to me:(  10% (over 300 jobs) of the tech division this week with rumors of more in other departments this month.  I'm shocked that the news isn't picking it up.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2017, 10:55:39 AM »
Walmart has done that several times now, I don't know what the real motivation is because they seem to build back up after one. I'm sure it plays to Wall Street well. Sadly, it's becoming their MO.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2017, 12:49:14 PM »
Would it have anything to do with them purchasing Jet?

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2017, 02:29:48 PM »

Yea, Jet has gone downhill since Wally World took it over. Reminds me why I haven't set foot in a Wal Mart or Sams club in the last 5 years.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2017, 06:25:54 PM »
Well....A very well known NWA company has been going through some pretty major layoffs the past two days that hit very very very close to me:(  10% (over 300 jobs) of the tech division this week with rumors of more in other departments this month.  I'm shocked that the news isn't picking it up.

It has been in the news in AR. I read about it online in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette and KY3 news in Springfield has mentioned it.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2017, 09:31:25 AM »

Yea, Jet has gone downhill since Wally World took it over. Reminds me why I haven't set foot in a Wal Mart or Sams club in the last 5 years.

^^ ;D ;D

jstein4507

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2017, 12:46:19 PM »
Pretty sure the current ISD layoffs are in regards to better, cheaper, and yes, foreign contracts as replacements. While the layoff tradition appears to grow, so does the WM hiring seem to be growing.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2017, 09:04:08 AM »
Pretty sure the current ISD layoffs are in regards to better, cheaper, and yes, foreign contracts as replacements. While the layoff tradition appears to grow, so does the WM hiring seem to be growing.

I have so many thoughts, opinions, some inside knowledge on this topic and other points made on this thread.  Just don't think it would be wise to lay it all out here.  Don't believe 90% of the conspiracy theories about the company and the 10% that are true are the ones that aren't that juicy.

Let me just say this....the company has been changing to make sure it can compete beyond the old traditional retail market over the past few years.  The company is in a market share fight....and it's not with Kmart and Target.  It makes sense that the Tech division is a focus of change.  It is being asked to blend having to support the traditional business while also being asked to be a Silicon Valley tech start like IT company to push the new stuff needed.  A lot of cool new tech delivered stuff has be done and is still on the way.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2017, 06:17:35 PM »