Author Topic: What's going on in NWA, 2021  (Read 57024 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in NWA, Spring 16
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2016, 01:42:50 PM »
Yeap....I moved here 16 years ago and have literally watched the Bville/Roger area explode with development and population. I remember driving around Bentonville the first time back in 2000.....it's crazy how different the place is.  I wish I was wise enough to figure out how to invest in real estate around here back then.  It's getting harder and harder to actually meet people who have haven't moved here within there lifetime.  The majority of the region is know populated with newcomers who bring in there fandom from elsewhere but are also respectful to the local UA fandom (like myself).  I was on a western Caribbean cruse recently that went out of TX and was shocked to see that even all the Intl stores where almost exclusively packed with college merch from the TX schools, Notre Dame, Michigan, and Razorback stuff. 

It's a pretty easy argument to say the NWA has surpassed the LR area economically already....I've always liked living here while its been still a "under the radar" type of great place to live.  I've never wanted to brag about it too much because I've always knew it was going to boom into a bigger town.  I don't want it to start feeling like a 'big city' like Tulsa.  One of NWAs greatest secret is that it is really a group of 'smaller' communities that all have their own identities and small town feel but are all close enough together to work with each other to provide 'bigger' city services too.

They need to get the Bella Vista Bypass done and gets some more/better/cheaper flight options at XNA.  The whole NWA region is behind in it's roadway growth.  A lot branch highways in and out of the main towns need attention too.  It's frustrating to me that Silioam Springs/Springdale gets another/additional bypasses while 2 lane roads from the growing outer towns like Pea Ridge (72), Gentry (171), Decatur (102), etc that carry thousands of cars daily are jammed every morning and night with commuters.

The 412 bypass of Springdale is drastically needed, so I will not complain about that. A limited access freeway with lout a single stop from west of Tontitown to Beaver Lake on the east side of Springdale will save 20 minutes off a thru commute to oh, say Branson. I was highly disappointed Ted that there was no four lane divided limited access bypass of Siloam Spring instead of it just getting widened in town. All that money and no time as gained for the thru traffic. That's one that will have to eventually be addresseed again. I get you on 72 but it's up to Bentonville and Pea Ridge to help that along. That 412 bypass will also have a spur straight to the airport. Getting it's traffic off the old highways. Did I mention the parking deck coming to XNA? That's up next.

getoffmytrain

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2016, 02:35:16 PM »
I completely agree with Chittlens on this and as I live in East Texas, am an Arkansas Alumi and graduated HS in Rogers, I would put I-49 at the top on that list, seconded the completion of 412!  I drove to Branson this weekend on a whim and I-49 would cut that trip by a minimum of 1 1/2 hours.

Oh and Little Rock Games are gone within 2 years.....but that is a topic for a different forum!   8)

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2016, 02:47:57 PM »
SDC next big ride investment should be a tollway between NWA and Branson.  the 2 lakes and hills that are between SDC and NWA really makes a relatively short (as the birds fly) trip much tougher.  We always consider the the drive there and back as apart of the days ride count. 

But seriously....Branson needs to be down in LR and in Jeff City lobbing for better roads for the NWA region to get there.

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2016, 03:22:07 PM »
SDC next big ride investment should be a tollway between NWA and Branson.  the 2 lakes and hills that are between SDC and NWA really makes a relatively short (as the birds fly) trip much tougher.  We always consider the the drive there and back as apart of the days ride count. 

But seriously....Branson needs to be down in LR and in Jeff City lobbing for better roads for the NWA region to get there.

Ideally, it would be much alieviated with one thing Arkansas has control over.

A mostly limited access US 412 to US 65 just north of Harrison. After the 412 bypass of Springdale. the main obsticle will be the stretch between Huntsville and Alpena and then a regrade of portions of US 412 between Alpena and US 65.( this portion is 4 lane divided but one side is the old two lane with more hills and grade)

After that it's mostly in Missouri's hands with overpasses on US 65 at the the three lights........

Actual completion of the Ozark High Road but it does no good till addressing the light at Indian Point. There  absolutely needs to be a flyover or a flyunder for SDC bound traffic coming from Branson on 76. It would take the light out of the mix and drastically improve continous traffic flow.to SDC. Quite honestly, SDC SHOULD be happy to foot that in large part.

Another solution, and you can see this on Google Earth,  is a road from 265 just south of the Wilderness Campground  due west to the parking lots of SDC. Here's where I'd put my resort, relocated White Water.

I
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:48:34 PM by chittlins »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2016, 03:47:52 PM »
Good lord yes. I've been begging them to upgrade 412 into a proper highway for ages. There are a few decent spans, but it's still a country road in many places. Not to mention how long it takes to crawl through Springdale. It makes travel to a lot of NW Arkansas from Oklahoma a lot more time consuming than it needs to be. Better connecting the area to Branson would be a huge win-win as well, though not necessarily from a sales tax perspective.

I wish they'd hurry up with finishing the 49 connection so that can be the next focus.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2016, 04:43:17 PM »
Good lord yes. I've been begging them to upgrade 412 into a proper highway for ages. There are a few decent spans, but it's still a country road in many places. Not to mention how long it takes to crawl through Springdale. It makes travel to a lot of NW Arkansas from Oklahoma a lot more time consuming than it needs to be. Better connecting the area to Branson would be a huge win-win as well, though not necessarily from a sales tax perspective.

I wish they'd hurry up with finishing the 49 connection so that can be the next focus.

When you say I-49 connection, you mean the Bella Vista Bypass right? Arkansas is finally working on that but it will BE Missouri that will have to complete it north of the border.

Another major missing link to US 412 will be Siloam Springs but that's a from Tulsa issue. That would save another 10 minutes easy for inbound Okies.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:46:47 PM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2016, 04:51:39 PM »
Stadium expansion
http://arkansasrazorbacks.com/dwrrs/

This makes no sense to me.  They can't fill what they already have except for the most marquee of opponents.  It's not the product on the field either - it's the poor location of Fayetteville to its alumni.  Most UA alumni are scattered across the state making it closer to go to see UA play in Starkville, Oxford or Baton Rouge than Fayetteville

They are not adding a single general admission seat. In fact, they are losing a few. They do have a waiting list for every type of seat they are putting in for the most part. The Suites are as go as sold already and a friend in the office tells me 75% of the club seats are spoken for. To address cost issues, they are decreasing upper deck seating prices and they are going to sell even cheaper SROs.

Also, you do not understand our Alumni base very well. The Dallas area has more Alumni than all of Eastern Arkansas. That's why you see us wanting to play there yearly. As to Little Rock, it is the same road between the two cities and with NWA's growth, the MSAs od Ft. Smith and NWA will likely eclipse that of LR's within 10 years, making NWA the population center of Arkansas. Heck, the FSM and NWA MSAs are already 700,000 plus combined. Most see it overtaking Tulsa in total size by 2030. The past two years have seen incoming freshmen from Texas outnumber those from Arkansas and Arkansas has been sending more than ever. Beside's (and I'm living proof) since I-540/I-49 opened more kids from Eastern Arkansas have come to school here and about 75 per cent of us stay. My little old co hometown has been planning a 25 year reunion. There are so many of us up here, we almost held it here instead of Marked Tree.

Another factor is that they'll be no major pro sports competing for that demo going forward either as the areas continues to grow.

Arkansas sells plenty of seats when they don't start the season losing to Toledo.

Little Rock had their chance to do major work on War Memorial 20 years ago and they didn't. Reminds me of Memphis when they would have got the Jacksonville franchise of the NFL had they built a new stadium but an improved Gator Bowl was better than an improved Liberty Bowl. 

The fact is Arkansas is one of the handfull of schools that takes not a single dime of tuition money or state tax money ton run it's Athletic program and runs in the black while doing so. The Athletic Depot actually gives the Academic side millions per year. There is no manditory student athleric fee. Students don't have to give a dime to athletics unless they want the drastically discounted ticket package.

Do you even read posts before jumping to butthurt?   Try reading my post again and then realize how stupid your 2nd paragraph was. 
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2016, 08:01:23 PM »
Stadium expansion
http://arkansasrazorbacks.com/dwrrs/

This makes no sense to me.  They can't fill what they already have except for the most marquee of opponents.  It's not the product on the field either - it's the poor location of Fayetteville to its alumni.  Most UA alumni are scattered across the state making it closer to go to see UA play in Starkville, Oxford or Baton Rouge than Fayetteville

They are not adding a single general admission seat. In fact, they are losing a few. They do have a waiting list for every type of seat they are putting in for the most part. The Suites are as go as sold already and a friend in the office tells me 75% of the club seats are spoken for. To address cost issues, they are decreasing upper deck seating prices and they are going to sell even cheaper SROs.

Also, you do not understand our Alumni base very well. The Dallas area has more Alumni than all of Eastern Arkansas. That's why you see us wanting to play there yearly. As to Little Rock, it is the same road between the two cities and with NWA's growth, the MSAs od Ft. Smith and NWA will likely eclipse that of LR's within 10 years, making NWA the population center of Arkansas. Heck, the FSM and NWA MSAs are already 700,000 plus combined. Most see it overtaking Tulsa in total size by 2030. The past two years have seen incoming freshmen from Texas outnumber those from Arkansas and Arkansas has been sending more than ever. Beside's (and I'm living proof) since I-540/I-49 opened more kids from Eastern Arkansas have come to school here and about 75 per cent of us stay. My little old co hometown has been planning a 25 year reunion. There are so many of us up here, we almost held it here instead of Marked Tree.

Another factor is that they'll be no major pro sports competing for that demo going forward either as the areas continues to grow.

Arkansas sells plenty of seats when they don't start the season losing to Toledo.

Little Rock had their chance to do major work on War Memorial 20 years ago and they didn't. Reminds me of Memphis when they would have got the Jacksonville franchise of the NFL had they built a new stadium but an improved Gator Bowl was better than an improved Liberty Bowl. 

The fact is Arkansas is one of the handfull of schools that takes not a single dime of tuition money or state tax money ton run it's Athletic program and runs in the black while doing so. The Athletic Depot actually gives the Academic side millions per year. There is no manditory student athleric fee. Students don't have to give a dime to athletics unless they want the drastically discounted ticket package.

Do you even read posts before jumping to butthurt?   Try reading my post again and then realize how stupid your 2nd paragraph was.
You posted:
it's the poor location of Fayetteville to its alumni.  Most UA alumni are scattered across the state making it closer to go to see UA play in Starkville, Oxford or Baton Rouge than Fayetteville

That implies the most of the UofA Alumni are somehow closer to these locales than they are to Fayetteville. They are not. It is 3 hrs from LR to Fayetteville. It is as close or closer than any city you listed. Outside of NWA, Alumni bases are Little Rock and then Dallas. Dallas is much closer to NWA than any city you listed. You were wrong about the distribution of our Alumni.

So, in summary, you spoke about crap you were ignorant on. I've done it too. You got corrected and then you make a smart assed  remark to show the real butthurt. Stop acting like you got beat out for 1st chair for Blowing One's Horn Section. There's always next year. Now, I would normally say something smartassed about Mizzou, but they need no help these days. I'd stick with antagonizing the TPR folk.

For the Business School only
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:22:28 PM by chittlins »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2016, 08:15:13 AM »

A mostly limited access US 412 to US 65 just north of Harrison. After the 412 bypass of Springdale. the main obsticle will be the stretch between Huntsville and Alpena and then a regrade of portions of US 412 between Alpena and US 65.( this portion is 4 lane divided but one side is the old two lane with more hills and grade)

After that it's mostly in Missouri's hands with overpasses on US 65 at the the three lights........

Actual completion of the Ozark High Road but it does no good till addressing the light at Indian Point. There  absolutely needs to be a flyover or a flyunder for SDC bound traffic coming from Branson on 76. It would take the light out of the mix and drastically improve continous traffic flow.to SDC. Quite honestly, SDC SHOULD be happy to foot that in large part.

Another solution, and you can see this on Google Earth,  is a road from 265 just south of the Wilderness Campground  due west to the parking lots of SDC. Here's where I'd put my resort, relocated White Water.

I

You got some pretty big plans there for a state you do not even reside in. If you think Missouri is going to invest millions on the high road( road to nowhere) you are sadly mistaken. Interstate 70 rebuild is foremost on MoDots radar. Mo Citizens would be up in arms if money was spent for a private entity to prosper more while the main roads and bridges that carry most of the states commerce crumple.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2016, 08:59:32 AM »

I

You got some pretty big plans there for a state you do not even reside in. If you think Missouri is going to invest millions on the high road( road to nowhere) you are sadly mistaken. Interstate 70 rebuild is foremost on MoDots radar. Mo Citizens would be up in arms if money was spent for a private entity to prosper more while the main roads and bridges that carry most of the states commerce crumple.

I'm not telling Missouri to do a darn thing, I'm just saying that would the about the only way to really spee transit up.

Now, if Missouri did get rid of the lights south of Hollister and SDC actually helped foot the bill for the needed improvements at Indian Point/76. Going a little further north to use the existing High Road wouldn't be so bad .

But, SDC should connect their parking area with 265 with a cut thru to over around Wilderness Campground. If they have to start charging for parking, so be it. Several of the locals I know complained mightily after some major backups on their trips to SDC last year. 10 husks to save an hour or more of life stuck it traffic is a deal.

In other news Arkansas is pushing to turn US 67 from Little Rock to the Missouri State line into being signed I-57.  The Newport to Walnut Ridge section will open in July. The alignment for the run to the Missouri line should be chosen this summer.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2016, 02:10:30 PM »
So, Washington Regional builds a new tower and is in expansion mode, Arkansas Children's is building a facility in Springdale and now:
ROGERS — Mercy Northwest Arkansas leaders were joined by Gov. Asa Hutchinson today as they announced plans to invest $247 million on capital projects and equipment over the next five years.
Expansion plans include a new patient tower that will add more than 100 beds to the hospital and new clinics in Benton and north Washington counties.
Mercy leaders expect the expansion to add more than 1,000 jobs over the next five years.
“Our hospital and clinics have been serving the community at a very high capacity,” Eric Pianalto, Mercy Hospital president said in a news release. “To ensure we carry out our mission and continue to meet the needs of Northwest Arkansas, we developed this $247 million community presence plan that will allow us to serve our patients into the future by providing additional access to quality care and advancing the region as a health care destination.”
The plans also call for creation of a University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences community internal medicine residency program in partnership with the Veterans Health Care System of the Ozarks in Fayetteville. The program will provide training to eight doctors the first year, growing to 24 doctors in three years.
Other specialty care areas benefiting from the capital investment include the heart and vascular center and women’s and children’s services.
“Having more clinics and recruiting new doctors and advanced practitioners to Mercy will allow our patients to get care close to home,” Dr. Steve Goss, president of Mercy Clinic, stated in the release. “Our intent is that these expansions will positively impact the health and wellness of the community.”
Mercy already has several area projects underway, including a hybrid cardiac catheterization lab that provides technology for advanced heart procedures not currently being performed in the region; an interim renovation of the Level IIIA Neonatal Intensive Care Unit; renovation of the seventh floor to add 24 inpatient beds; and a 500-space parking lot expansion.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2016, 02:44:50 PM »
Awesome!!!!

I'm so happy the Children s hospital is being built....wish it was done already....the LR children's hospital is the only reason I've ever had to go to LR in my life:(  I'm not a big fan of that town and it's sad to have to see so many families around here have to endure those long trips during what are usually tough circumstances.  I'm hoping the it gets built up the right way to be able to serve NWA with as high of quality facilities and staff as LR has. 

I have a little one going to UAMS in LR for some testing in a few weeks.  Maybe a trip like this will be closer in the near future.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2016, 02:53:12 PM »
Awesome!!!!

I'm so happy the Children s hospital is being built....wish it was done already....the LR children's hospital is the only reason I've ever had to go to LR in my life:(  I'm not a big fan of that town and it's sad to have to see so many families around here have to endure those long trips during what are usually tough circumstances.  I'm hoping the it gets built up the right way to be able to serve NWA with as high of quality facilities and staff as LR has. 

I have a little one going to UAMS in LR for some testing in a few weeks.  Maybe a trip like this will be closer in the near future.

It's going in across from Arvest Ballpark.

As soon as I see renderings, i'll post.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 02:57:34 PM by chittlins »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2016, 03:01:37 PM »
[/quote]

If you're talking about the Bella Vista Bypass (complete I-49)....That road would be main drag to both one of the biggest growing regions in the country (NWA) and a future connection to the Gulf (when Ft Smith to Texarkana is done).  That would be a direct interstates between KC/Stl and Houston/Gal port...without having to go through Dallas.  A direct North/South route from the Gulf to shipping centers in MO.

The only reason MO isn't getting it completed is that they playing the political games with the fed road money and trying to wait it out till the Ark Ft.Smith to Texarkana section is officially started (budget approved).  Can't blame them for spending their money on other priorities until that is green lighted....or even trying to get extra dollars to help finish it as the AR project money gets approved.  Point is....it will be a huge win for MO to eventually do it.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2016, 03:07:19 PM »
I knew it was going in across from Arvest ballpark....

On a selfish note that I just thought of...wonder if that will impact the fireworks displays after the games?  Naturals have the best displays I've every seen and they set them up right on that corner.  Not sure if that would be a good or bad thing to have thought right outside the hospital at night?  They may have to literally tone them down.