Author Topic: What's going on in NWA, 2021  (Read 57042 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
What's going on in NWA, 2021
« on: August 07, 2015, 09:06:23 PM »
Rumor, up to a 1,000 layoffs coming at Walmart Corporate. 200 VPs may get cut. Teimming the buracracy. Pain off layoffs expected to be short term

Alice Walton is selling off her cutting horse business and Ranch in Ft. Worth. Wants to concentrate on Crystal Bridges

The Scott Children's Museum is now open in Bentonville. I was underwhelmed cause i've seen a dozen of them with our kids. TheY have outgrown this. Figure newer parents love it.

Arkansas Children's Hospital is coming to Springdale, the 6th largest Children's hospital in the US will build a 225,000 facility on land near Arvest Ballpark donated by the George and
 Evans Families.

http://www.nwabusinessjournal.com/14335/arkansas-childrens-hospital-plans-new-hospital-near-arvest-ballpark?utm_source=enews_080715&utm_medium=email&utm_content=breaking-news--northwest-arkansas-business-journal&utm_campaign=newsletter

Walton Family Foundation has launched an architecture program:
BENTONVILLE, Ark. - The Walton Family Foundation has announced a plan that will elevate the quality of architectural and landscape design in Benton and Washington counties in Arkansas. The new initiative, called the Northwest Arkansas Design Excellence Program, will promote the highest level of design in the development of future public buildings and spaces.

Karen Minkel, Home Region program director at the Walton Family Foundation, outlined the vision for the project.

"The establishment of a design excellence program in Northwest Arkansas was driven by our strategic approach to preserve our region's sense of place," said Minkel. "Over the last 25 years, the population in Northwest Arkansas has more than doubled, creating opportunities and challenges in planning and design. The Northwest Arkansas Design Excellence Program will encourage quality design of public spaces, while complementing the rich architectural history of our urban fabric."

Through this program, the Walton Family Foundation will provide financial support to entities such as school districts; county, state or local municipalities; and nonprofit organizations that intend to develop space for public purposes. Funds will be earmarked for all phases of design work.

The Northwest Arkansas Design Excellence Program is inspired by a similar enterprise in Columbus, Indiana, by the Cummins Foundation.
http://news.uark.edu/articles/31971/walton-family-foundation-announces-design-excellence-program
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 05:34:43 PM by chittlins »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on is NWA, Summer 15 edition
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 08:16:22 AM »
Layoffs haven't happened yet.....and the timing of that report seems wrong.  If it happens I would guess that it will be towards the end of a retail quarter (October) and that it is done mostly through position shifting (re-assignments and demotions) than by actual layoffs.  That actually seems to happen at the HO every couple of years.  It usually happens either in January or April though.  Local news usually exaggerates this things when they do happen.  I few years ago when we went through a restructure the news acted like half the town would be out of a job....I think maybe 20-30 people where actually let go and most where voluntary because they didn't want to change roles....not bad for a company with 6-7k of jobs in town.

NWA is as strong as ever.  The childrens hospital is huge news and kind of long over due.  Its crazy the amount of people here forced to travel 4-5 hours to Little Rock for child care health services.  The children's hospital there is amazing but just too far away to serve a community of our size. 
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on is NWA, Summer 15 edition
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 11:15:44 PM »
Xna nabs a nonstop to San Fran from United:

2-class CRJ7. Leaves XNA 0745 arr. SFO 0950. Return leaves SFO 1330 arr. XNA 1945. Looks like it's timed pretty nice for the TPAC bank.

A one stop to Asia via AA/LAX and now United/SFO, waiting for Delta to consider a nonstop to Seattle.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on is NWA, Summer 15 edition(XNA update, Aug 16)
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 10:10:26 PM »
We took the kids to the children's museum on Saturday.  They had the greatest time!  We will be going again soon.  It's definitely worth $10.00 a person.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Apparently Springdale has plans for Parsons stadium, increase from 9,000 to over 15,000 with boxes and  completely covered but still open air

Oprea in the Ozarks in Eureka is shooting for the stars, they are a hidden gem now. They are in the capitalnfundraising process for this Masterplan

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 08:50:43 PM by chittlins »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
Wow....

I could see Parson Stadium happen....it really needs restroom upgrades!!!!  Maybe they could book more events.  Place could be great for mid-level concerts and festivals.  It is already a great place for Demo Derbys and Monster Truck shows (and rodeos).

The opera place is in the middle of nowhere?  30 min drive to Eureka?  45 to Rogers?  Guess that is part of the attraction?  Good luck to them. 
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Wow....

I could see Parson Stadium happen....it really needs restroom upgrades!!!!  Maybe they could book more events.  Place could be great for mid-level concerts and festivals.  It is already a great place for Demo Derbys and Monster Truck shows (and rodeos).

The opera place is in the middle of nowhere?  30 min drive to Eureka?  45 to Rogers?  Guess that is part of the attraction?  Good luck to them. 

That outfit has put performers onstage at the Met. It's not unknown and has some backing already. What they want is grand in scale so it may take some time but it'll likely get done. They have been around for decades already.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Darn, NWA building permits up 70 million over July last year to 101 million. To put that into perspective on a national level:

the No. 1 Rank for added construction jobs in July compared to a year ago, according to the Associated General Contractors of America.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on is NWA, Fall/Winter 15 update
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 10:47:38 AM »

Still growing big time, heady company we are keeping

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 06:39:46 PM »
How cool! My birth-town is number one! (Santa Clara, CA)

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 06:45:40 PM »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in NWA, Late Winter 16
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 09:40:52 PM »
Fayetteville/NWA earns #3 on US News and World Report Best Places to Live list.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 09:16:20 PM »
Northwest Arkansas per capita income ($50,686) ranks 31st in the nation among 382 Metropolitan Statistical Areas ... other MSA's in this region of the country: Tulsa ($49,807), Dallas-Fort Worth ($49,506), Oklahoma City ($46,675), Kansas City ($46,319), Little Rock ($40,925) and Springfield ($35,931).

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 08:56:48 PM »
Piggybacking on the Per capita news is that TopGolf is looking at NWA
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/topgolf-targeting-more-markets-for-expansion-300237063.html

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2016, 03:11:50 PM »
Many great things happening here in NWA! I strongly encourage you after your stay in Branson to make a trip down here for a couple of days and enjoy the attractions, shopping and food. I love living in the area. ;D
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"