Author Topic: The Grand Palace  (Read 33289 times)

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
The Grand Palace
« on: August 24, 2008, 03:16:53 PM »
I am a big fan of all things Herschend Family, maybe you too?

The Grand Palace theatre once a SDC property is being auctioned off in September. I was young, but I remember when they were building the theatre and its massive beams and wondering what the heck they were building. I also remember going with my family every year to see the Christmas Spectacular starring the Rocketts.  There are some that say a church might purchase the theatre and it will be a loss of tax revenue, such as the Remington and Mel Tillis Theatres. Who knows who will actually get the thing? A lot of money would have to be invested to restore it to its 1992 beauty. Hopefully something good will come of it. Watch the KY3 news clip it’s interesting to see the Herschend family and Kenny Rogers. Rogers was once a partner in the Palace, Village and Showboat. A sex scandal helped him find his partnership over. A lot of people on this board have great imaginations what would you do with it.

I personally think it was built wrong. The auditorium is curved drastically and can make the sides a very bad choice to sit in. Also, the Grand Village should have been built surrounding the Palace on the sides, not across the street. Anyone else?

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/27295564.html
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 03:17:37 PM by Copper »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Grand Palace
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 04:42:06 PM »
I have never seen the inside, but I always thought it was a gaudy monstrosity totally out of character for the Ozarks.

sdcforever

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 06:51:27 PM »
It was gorgeous when it first opened.  I have been there many times and seen many shows--from the Rockettes, Pam Tillis and the Oak Ridge Boys, to Lorrie Morgan.  I was awed by it at first, but now it has been allowed to fall into a little bit of decay.  I think it needs to be bought by someone who wants to keep it as a theatre and will really put some money and love into it.  I don't think 76 is a good location for a church.  They still have events scheduled, including Mannheim Steamroller concerts running the entire month of November.  It's too bad Hall Entertainment L.L.C. has defaulted on their loan.  I really hope it remains a theater.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 07:32:18 PM »
I would LOVE for this to become a Cirque du Soleil theatre... not going to happen, but I would LOVE for that to happen.  ;D
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 10:53:29 PM »
The sale of the Grand Palace has been stopped.  Looks like it won't be a public auction anymore, but it will now be sold as a private venture.  There has been interest in the property, with one rumor floating around that the Titanic Museum wants to buy the property and then raze the building.  They have no comment.

Read more here:  http://www.bransondailynews.com/story.php?storyID=8566

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 11:00:44 AM »
I would LOVE for this to become a Cirque du Soleil theatre... not going to happen, but I would LOVE for that to happen.  ;D

OMG, that would be AWESOME!!! What a great idea! I'm a HUGE CdS fan. When I had cable, I'd watch it every time it was on Bravo. I've always envied my dad, who got to see the "O" Show in Vegas as part of a business trip.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 12:46:41 PM »
I agree it would be a great show in Branson. The show could be about air and use the eight stories above the audience.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 05:34:39 PM »
^^Becky I am jealous of your dad too. 

I really want to see <<O>> but I cannot complain too much as I have several (Kooza, Saltimbanco, Quidam, DELIRIUM, Corteo, La Nouba, Varekai, Dralion) already.  Just need to take the time and go to Vegas to see the shows there as I have seen all but one of the touring shows already.
SWOOSH

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 11:04:20 AM »
You know, I had a thought the other day while watching America's Got Talent. There's this really great operatic singer Donald Braswell who this week sang Music of the Night from Phantom of the Opera. I think it'd be cool if they turned the Grand Palace into a venue for a Branson-based PotO show, and Donald could be their Phantom.

Yeah, a very far-out thought, but a thought nonetheless. ;)

~ "Becky" Joy ~

sdcforever

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »
^They could do country versions of the songs! ;)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 06:56:43 PM »
It would be neat to have Broadway shows come and do a stay there and have them rotate out after a couple of months.  That would actually probably be the best use for the threatre.

HAIRSPRAY - RENT - WICKED - LIONKING - LEGALLY BLONDE - PHANTOM - OKLAHOMA! - the PRODUCERS - SOUND of MUSIC - CATS
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 12:24:48 AM »
Is the stage large enough for Broadway shows?  For example, Lion King has a limited number of theaters that can even hold their set with all its movement.  I would love to have another venue in which to attend Broadway on the road.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 11:07:21 PM »
The Grand Palace stage probably would be large enough to do most Bway shows.  The problem would be more of a financial one as the royalties for any such shows in a 4000 seat venue would be enormous, on top of all the other operating costs. 

Back in '94, give or take a year, I was in a production of "Oklahoma!" which was produced in what was then called the Thunderbird Theater (across 76 from Walmart and a little west)  and starred Rudy Gatlin as Curly.  The venue was very small for that production but we made do.  It didn't draw very large crowds (I'll bet it wouldn't seat 600), and almost lasted a full season but not quite.  I think that had more to do with the venue than the show itself because nothing has ever succeeded there. 

But, with a big enough backer to do them right, I think top Broadway shows could be successful here.  Springfield Little Theatre and Juanita K in Springfield do well enough with them. 
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

SteamFreak

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 10:47:42 AM »
Wish I had read this post before I bought Meinhiem Steamroller tickets in august. The GP didn't even notify their ticket holders that the performance wouldn't happen. So bascily I was screwed out of $150 in tickets, so now we have to contact the AG of MO to get our money back.

sdcforever

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 11:20:57 AM »
^Sounds like unfair business practices to me.  Good luck!