Author Topic: If FM Is Leaving, What Does Its Last Season Look Like?  (Read 29548 times)

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
Re: If FM Is Leaving, What Does Its Last Season Look Like?
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2015, 08:58:13 PM »
Good news about a 50th anniversary...
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2015, 12:03:03 PM »
CRAP!!!! Ok so FM might not be safe after all. Lots of misinformation going on right now.
Anyone going to be there this weekend? PM me if you are I have something I want you to check for me.  If it's turns out to be nothing then there is no need to get everyone all riled up
SWOOSH

W.P. Warburton

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • "It's a Rockslide....Look Out Below!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2015, 03:48:44 PM »
Swoosh, I gonna be there this weekend. What should I be looking for

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2015, 04:16:10 PM »
I'll PM you
SWOOSH

WolfHunter

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2015, 06:54:20 PM »
Was just there. They added a new prisoner in a barrel in the line queue, and fixed the sleeping guard in the 2nd room. They also fixed the animatronics on the prisoner head to the left (up high) right before Frank (get up the rope Frank). The saw room lighting is much more dramatic now and 3 broken targets in there have been fixed. The place is looking great!

On an secondary note: there are no 100,000 point targets. The illusion is created when the gun glitches over the 10,000 slot straight to the 100,000 slot after 9,900. Swoosh was lying when he said there are hidden targets that are worth 100,00 points. I have confirmed with numerous ride operators that no such targets exist.

Thread in question: http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?action=printpage;topic=1309.0
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 07:00:48 PM by WolfHunter »
Known to be "Amazing" -Swoosh

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2015, 07:36:36 PM »
The guns don't work right digitally anyway.  The bonus targets are 10000 points.  I have hit them before. after 9990 the gun goes to 100000 instead of 10000. 
I'm Your Huckleberry

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2015, 08:47:43 PM »
Was just there. They added a new prisoner in a barrel in the line queue, and fixed the sleeping guard in the 2nd room. They also fixed the animatronics on the prisoner head to the left (up high) right before Frank (get up the rope Frank). The saw room lighting is much more dramatic now and 3 broken targets in there have been fixed. The place is looking great!

Well, it's probably a good sign that they are fixing things and making improvements to the ride.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2015, 09:49:54 PM »
They have always been giving FM (and FITH) TLC as they go along. Sometimes it's small things, sometimes it's obvious. I still don't think some posters here appreciate it enough when they talk about it getting "run down". It's simply a classic attraction, and of course it was a lot more awesome when you remember it 20 years or more ago because everything is 10x better in retrospect. It's still one of the best dark rides in the nation, and I really mean that. Like I've said, most of the other classic dark rides at places like Frontier City and Carowinds have been replaced with crappy modern renditions with cardboard cut-outs instead of props. I've ridden FM countless times over the past couple decades and I'm still always seeing new details that I never noticed before.

Anyway, I've been thinking more about the original question, and I think that whenever FM does finally go, the park will indeed probably announce it as the final year. I assume they'll hype up a replacement at the same time, similar to how Carowinds just did with Thunder Road. I still want to believe that any replacement would simply be a revamped dark ride experience though, hopefully of the same theme and nature. I don't think prisoners are PC enough for them anymore though... they'd probably go with flood rescue operation theme or something with it's own custom monument in front ::)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2015, 10:21:48 PM »
Swoosh was lying when he said there are hidden targets that are worth 100,00 points. I have confirmed with numerous ride operators that no such targets exist.

Thread in question: http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?action=printpage;topic=1309.0

Oh for crying out loud that was back in 2010.  Back then there were 4 that had higher totals.  One was on the breaking beam, there was a hidden one just past the canary cage, another was in the final room with targets and then there was another one earlier in the ride. 

They've changed the programming since then at least twice that I know of.  For awhile it was random 500 point values.  The past two years it seems that all the values have been the same. 

SWOOSH

HikerDan

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2015, 08:49:21 AM »
My wife and I rode FM yesterday and the theme music was not playing; kinda weird riding through there without that. Many of the targets weren't functioning either.  After a minute I just put down the gun and rode along.

We were the only people on the ride and when we returned to the loading area no one was waiting to board, so we took the time to ask the ride operators why no music was playing inside the mine.  They acted like they had no idea that it wasn't currently playing and said they'd look into it. These guys have been working this ride for several years now.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2015, 08:57:16 AM »
Swoosh told no lies. There are ways for bonus points. The ride mechanics know where they are. Finding them yourself is the fun of the hunt. They are aware speakers and projectors aren't working.
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2015, 12:38:49 PM »
My wife and I rode FM yesterday and the theme music was not playing; kinda weird riding through there without that. Many of the targets weren't functioning either.  After a minute I just put down the gun and rode along.

Oh that's sounds fun, I would like the recordings to be working, but no other noise? just cruising along/ Yes please. ;D

Swoosh!~ I am backing you on this one.! ::)

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2015, 04:20:20 PM »
uh...yeah.  Hit them MANY times.  Swoosh was/is correct.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2015, 04:44:37 PM »
I was there on Saturday. If there was something I can possibly report on Swoosh, let me know.

Otherwise, the theme music was working fine and for the most part targets were working fine. I only hit a couple that I didn't noticeably see not working.

WolfHunter

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2015, 10:05:48 AM »

They've changed the programming since then at least twice that I know of.  For awhile it was random 500 point values.  The past two years it seems that all the values have been the same. 

I didn't mean to offend you, it's just that I dedicated quite a bit of time to trying to find these targets that I was under the impression were still active according to the message you sent me on the topic:

"As for the the larger point targets.  That's just part of the ride.  Once you find them, you'll feel pretty accomplished.  I'll give you a hint on where one is though -- it is in the dynamite room where the water explodes and the beam comes down.  Now go find it.  Good luck!?"

I rode the ride so much looking for all the targets, all the operators know me by name... It's kind of a let down to find out they've all been equalized.

Again swoosh, I did not mean to offend.
Known to be "Amazing" -Swoosh