Author Topic: Stone Mountain Park Under Fire  (Read 12181 times)

Hollwood

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
Re: Stone Mountain Park Under Fire
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 09:49:33 PM »
Some folks just don't have anything more constructive to do...
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 11:02:03 PM »
It might be an opportunity for HFE to acquire the property from the government so that it's privately owned.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 11:06:47 PM »
Just ridiculous. I was wondering how long it would take for this to happen.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 05:25:54 AM »
WOW!  just Wow!

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 07:29:26 AM »
Just this morning,  I watched someone buy  a 20oz Dasani water and a 20oz can of Starbucks coffee, method of payment, Snap debit card(aka food stamps) yet issues  like this dominates the day. This country is circling the drain. Grit my teeth and smile is all I can do.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:49:10 AM by chittlins »

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 07:45:25 AM »
Some folks just don't have anything more constructive to do...

Like addressing how inner city schools spend way more per student than those that are not and get the results many times worse or the complete breakdown of the family incentivized by entitlement programs that reward you more assistance by not being married or at least working part time than not. Welcome to the new slave masters, the big gov. We'll give you just enough to live as long as you vote for us. Let's talk segregation, what do you call the demographic makeup of urban cities today, islands of black poverty where the crime rates are astronomical. (See Chicago)They are basically herded into sections of town with low rent.section 8 housing, put on entitlement programs that perpetuate the cycle and not break it. And....it's always someone else's fault.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 07:48:00 AM by chittlins »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 08:31:47 AM »
Our selfish and self centered and accusatory ways in this country have gotten out of hand.  There is no reason for all of this including the removal of the Rebel flag.  This is temporary appeasement of the masses without thought to consequences for the future or where the end of this road will lead us.  These monuments perpetuate conversation, learning and the sharing of history that would otherwise be forgotten by out new generations with a 30 second memory span.  There need to be objections, loud "politically incorrect" objections regardless of what they call you in return.  Your voice must be louder that the zealots that want to tear this country apart.  Many Germans sat by and did nothing while their country was cleansed.  History repeats itself.  we need to be loud and stop this lunacy now before the only flag we fly is the white flag of surrender.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 09:28:48 AM »
Our selfish and self centered and accusatory ways in this country have gotten out of hand.  There is no reason for all of this including the removal of the Rebel flag.  This is temporary appeasement of the masses without thought to consequences for the future or where the end of this road will lead us.  These monuments perpetuate conversation, learning and the sharing of history that would otherwise be forgotten by out new generations with a 30 second memory span.  There need to be objections, loud "politically incorrect" objections regardless of what they call you in return.  Your voice must be louder that the zealots that want to tear this country apart.  Many Germans sat by and did nothing while their country was cleansed.  History repeats itself.  we need to be loud and stop this lunacy now before the only flag we fly is the white flag of surrender.

Very well written, MH!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 10:42:09 AM »
Meh, honestly I wouldn't be upset if they did sandblast those traitors off the mountain. It's a travesty that they were engraved there in the first place. It was only done as a passive aggressive response to the end of segregation anyway. I'm tired of people letting these traitors and genocide-perpetuators be honored through the lens of "tradition" and southern "pride". Can you imagine the outrage that would ensue if Germany put a bunch of Nazi generals on a monument and allowed Nazi-era flags to be flown around? It just doesn't make sense.

I'm really, really not a fan of the modern "social justice warrior" movement, but there's no way anyone can say that the confederacy wasn't an anti-American force of evil without being ignorant or racist or both.

MoOzark

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I raised the Dizzy Dogs from little pups.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 11:28:33 AM »
My opinion is not going to be a popular one with everybody. I don’t like to see political issues discussed on this forum but some times it does get political. I see this as a freedom of speech issue. What it boils down to is people wanting to erase history and it is been going on since ancient times. In ancient cultures, such as ancient Egypt, every Pharaoh changed the monuments to tell the story the way he wanted it told. If he didn’t like his predecessor, he simply ordered that the previous Pharaoh’s name be erased—everywhere it was carved into stone. 

Right now in the Middle East, ISIS is destroying ancient artifacts and complete ancient cities that have survived under the sands of history for literally thousands of years. They want to reset history back to year zero and start with an erased slate. I don’t believe they can destroy everything but that can mess up the historical record so bad that it will be difficult to find the truth. It is a horrible war crime. I don’t mean to minimize the deaths of people, ethnic and religious cleansing, but protecting a country’s history, cultures, and national treasures in times of war has always been a priority for advanced nations, such as the United Sates of America. 

The erasing of history seems to be running at an all time high in these current troubled times. The liberals in our country have been waiting for chance at historical cleansing. They will not stop with the Civil War monuments. There are those who want to blast away every hint of religion on government buildings. If you have ever looked at our government buildings you will know that they are covered with reverences to founding our nation upon religious freedom. Those who want to erase history will not stop with the government buildings. They seek to change our money, rewrite the history books (if there is anything left to change), change our laws, and even rewrite the constitution. There are some that even want to remove crosses from tombstones. What it boils down to is hatred of God and war against him. It is what the Bible refers to as the great falling away and it is the beginning of the end times and tribulation.

Okay, I’ll get off my soapbox now. I know this opinion is extreme but I’ve told it the way I believe it to be. If this is too extreme, then censor me and remove this message.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 11:34:48 AM »
Meh, honestly I wouldn't be upset if they did sandblast those traitors off the mountain. It's a travesty that they were engraved there in the first place. It was only done as a passive aggressive response to the end of segregation anyway. I'm tired of people letting these traitors and genocide-perpetuators be honored through the lens of "tradition" and southern "pride". Can you imagine the outrage that would ensue if Germany put a bunch of Nazi generals on a monument and allowed Nazi-era flags to be flown around? It just doesn't make sense.

I'm really, really not a fan of the modern "social justice warrior" movement, but there's no way anyone can say that the confederacy wasn't an anti-American force of evil without being ignorant or racist or both.

It started way before that, look the US Mint helped the traitors

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 12:22:30 PM »
Trying to stay focused on the issue of the mountain itself... MoOzark, I would agree that removing the carving would be erasure, IF it were actually a remnant from the confederacy era itself. In fact, the carving was started in the 60's and considered finished in 1972. The only "history" behind it is that the KKK had a resurgence with enough influence in the 60's to help make it happen. Erasing the carving would be a fitting response to that "history", IMO. The scar left behind will be a reminder of the horrible times behind us and their lingering effects, but will show that we at least eventually had the balls to stand up to it and start fighting back.

We have a better understanding of our historical record now than at any other time in history, and access to that information has never been so unrestricted. It's high time we actually learned from it.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
HFE better stay far far far away from it.  Even if it could be acquired at no or low cost it would be a legal and PR nightmare.  All future SDC roller coaster $s would be sucked away to this place on legal fees and/or PR.

I know of a little Arkansas company that should have kept their month closed recently on those types of issues and are now dealing with a PR nightmare of "but that offends me too....why do you still sell X, Y, and Z?". 

Just stay away from this conversation HFE...
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

MoOzark

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I raised the Dizzy Dogs from little pups.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 02:50:26 PM »
...,I would agree that removing the carving would be erasure, IF it were actually a remnant from the confederacy era itself. In fact, the carving was started in the 60's and considered finished in 1972.

Okay, I can see your point. I suppose the carving could actually be considered “revisionist history.” Another point-of-view on this is that a perfectly good natural formation was scarred by blasting the monument into it. It could never be completely restored. The best that anyone could do is to blast it away and then shape it so it looks like a natural chunk of rock fell off of it. Also, I agree that the corporation should not say anything about it.