Author Topic: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)  (Read 157153 times)

pintrader

Re: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)
« Reply #330 on: May 13, 2020, 07:41:38 AM »
I've been thinking about it more, and I'm increasingly worried that the impact of the virus will speed the demise of our beloved classics. We've talked for years about replacement concepts being tossed around for both FM and FITH. It's obviously an ever changing situation in even the best of times, but this virus mess is going to dampen everything.

If they are having to cut down on things, FM could be an easy target due to age, upkeep, having to sanitize the guns, ADA access, etc. Grandfather's Mansion too... This situation could be the stiff breeze that finally sends them toppling after all these years.

If there is a replacement project for FITH as has been rumored for years, I imagine construction wouldn't begin till 2022 at this point... and even that is dependent on the numbers during the recovery. Could be pretty bleak for awhile.

I doubt we see anything added in 2022 either.  That might be a time to freeze or lower ticket prices though.

I would think any new construction that was put off would just add to the life of the classics (what's already in place).  I don't see a major cost in keeping these going a while longer, at least in comparison with demolition and new construction of something new.  Now I could definitely see Grandfather's Mansion not opening anytime soon, and possibly the guns being removed from Flooded Mine.  I would also be just a little surprised if they lowered ticket prices.   
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:48:16 AM by Pintrader »

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 13, 2020, 08:30:17 AM »
I would *love* to see the guns removed from FM.  The noise is annoying. 

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 14, 2020, 09:29:48 AM »
Sorry but we love the guns!  We have fun with the competition.  I would also love to see more modern animatronics in the ride of course. And I do miss the "rock slide".  I rode the Flooded Mine for many years before they put in the guns.  It was the ill-fated year of 1989 and Gaslight Square that they announced it was the last year for the Flooded Mine and we were devastated.  We must have rode it 20 times the 2 days we were there that year.  Then in 1990 they added the guns so we were relieved the Flooded Mine still existed.  It had a big sign at the entrance stating it was now called "The Great Shootout in the Flooded Mine- sponsored by Coca Cola" with the Coke logo on the sign.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: May 14, 2020, 02:30:25 PM »
I like the guns but it is not the reason I ride. Our family does have a lot of fun competing with each other.

But there are times I'm happy my gun does not work.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 14, 2020, 02:39:59 PM »
I hate the guns. They should have never been put in this classic dark ride. The money would have been better spent updating the entire experience.  I never pick them up but others in my group say they hardly ever work. Now it is 1990's technology that probably cannot be fixed.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 03:20:08 PM by runner1960 »

Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 15, 2020, 02:49:38 PM »
I would love to have the original ride back with the drop at the beginning. However, the guns were a part of my childhood so I'm still a bit partial to them.

I would love to have an archival SDC park where we had the tree house. The old play area where the tom and hucks water ride is now, have the canoe ride on lake silver and rube dugan's diving bell.

Since I can't, I enjoy what hasn't changed and fondly remember what has changed.

But it would be nice if there was a week where the guns were not active and you didn't hear the sound of people shooting.

pintrader

« Reply #336 on: May 15, 2020, 03:13:52 PM »
I would love to have the original ride back with the drop at the beginning.

I am a little lost on your statement there......a drop at the beginning of The Flooded Mine??

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: May 16, 2020, 09:55:31 PM »
Last few times I rode THE GUNS DID NOT WORK AT ALL. So it was very frustrating. Let's just get rid of everything that made SDC special and sell it to six flags. That's what its turning into anyway!!!!

Obviousdramatic

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: May 18, 2020, 08:36:39 AM »
If the new norm for SDC is running at half capacity, how would they fare? They are not a very big park to begin with. I am not sure what their half is so I could be way off here, but would this not ultimately hurt business to run the park and only allow so many in? How many guests would be ticked if they were turned away because the quota was met for the day? Six Flags is doing reservations, right? If that is anything like grocery pick up in my town, its easier for me to just get the foods myself than wait a week out to get anything.

So I guess what I am trying to ask all the smart knowledgeable people on here is if it would be cheaper to keep the park closed than to open to half crowds?

pintrader

« Reply #339 on: May 18, 2020, 09:00:44 AM »

If the new norm for SDC is running at half capacity, how would they fare? They are not a very big park to begin with. I am not sure what their half is so I could be way off here, but would this not ultimately hurt business to run the park and only allow so many in? How many guests would be ticked if they were turned away because the quota was met for the day? Six Flags is doing reservations, right? If that is anything like grocery pick up in my town, its easier for me to just get the foods myself than wait a week out to get anything.

So I guess what I am trying to ask all the smart knowledgeable people on here is if it would be cheaper to keep the park closed than to open to half crowds?

If capacity is what the park will hold until they start turning people away, then I think that is somewhere around 25,000.  If they are allowed to go half then that would be 12,500, and I think that would be plenty to turn a profit.  There are a lot of days they go over that but there are a lot of days they go under that also, and if they are limiting it to that number then most days would be close if not at capacity.   Now at Christmas & Pumpkin Nights that would be another story altogether and probably have to take reservations or count at the entrance.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 07:03:08 PM by Pintrader »

Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 18, 2020, 09:25:22 AM »
I would love to have the original ride back with the drop at the beginning.

I am a little lost on your statement there......a drop at the beginning of The Flooded Mine??

It wasn't a huge drop. But there was a little change in elevation. The water was rushing and there was a sign that said keep your hands and head down.

It probably seemed more than it was since I was younger at the time. The took it out when they added the guns to the ride.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 18, 2020, 09:43:54 AM »
The mine hasn't had a "drop". What you're remembering is, when the loaders release the boats, they drop up to a foot, settling in the water as it enters the main channel.
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #342 on: May 18, 2020, 11:39:02 AM »
If capacity is what the park will hold until they start turning people away, then I think that is somewhere around 25,000.  If they are allowed to go half then that would be 12,500, and I think that would be plenty to turn a profit.  There are a lot of days they go over that but there are a lot of days they go under that also, and if they are limiting it to that number then most days would be close if not at capacity.   Now at Christmas & Pumpkin Nights that would be another story altogether and probably have to take reservations or count at the entrance.

Here's the thing though, at crowds of 10,000 you are still dealing with lines, walking near people, and crowds in general. In order to have a crowd free experience you'd have to only let in a few hundred people at a time, which isn't enough to turn a profit.

It's a moot point, because things are opening back up anyway, but for future pandemic planning it's basically all or nothing with these kinds of venues.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 18, 2020, 02:28:00 PM »
The mine hasn't had a "drop". What you're remembering is, when the loaders release the boats, they drop up to a foot, settling in the water as it enters the main channel.

I agree.  I have rode this ride since I was a kid in 1970. Never had a drop at all.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #344 on: May 18, 2020, 03:00:44 PM »

I agree.  I have rode this ride since I was a kid in 1970. Never had a drop at all.

Could this have been the American Plunge (AKA Jim Owens) that you are remembering?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating