Author Topic: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)  (Read 157271 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)
« Reply #270 on: March 06, 2018, 07:37:05 AM »
I'd assume most of the SP sales during the year for the current year are those one time a year visitors

See? i would disagree with that statement...

there are so many repeat visitors and locals that visit through the year..
people that go in the early summer and return for Christmas..
summer and fall festival,    and so on..

I would assume the 1 trip (vacation) SP would be a much smaller number...

Just my thoughts.. :)

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #271 on: March 06, 2018, 07:40:29 AM »
I think it’s time for SDC to take the next step and add a Flying Theatre.  This would go over well with park guests and could be enjoyed by a wider range of guests than the typical ride addition

https://youtu.be/Zs-fO9--u8w

wonder what the budget would be on something like that, and if it would be in a price range that SDC would even consider.

I have thought they were long overdue for a "theater" ride- whether a "4d" movie, a motion simulator, or something along those lines that the family can enjoy.  it would seem like a rather obvious addition at this point, especially with it being indoors, and they desperately need another indoor attraction that doesn't shut down for weather, and something the whole entire family can do together.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 06, 2018, 08:22:19 AM »
I think it’s time for SDC to take the next step and add a Flying Theatre.  This would go over well with park guests and could be enjoyed by a wider range of guests than the typical ride addition

https://youtu.be/Zs-fO9--u8w

wonder what the budget would be on something like that, and if it would be in a price range that SDC would even consider.

I have thought they were long overdue for a "theater" ride- whether a "4d" movie, a motion simulator, or something along those lines that the family can enjoy.  it would seem like a rather obvious addition at this point, especially with it being indoors, and they desperately need another indoor attraction that doesn't shut down for weather, and something the whole entire family can do together.

AND would not take a very big footprint to build...  (size of land needed) :)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #273 on: March 06, 2018, 09:10:31 AM »
Flying theatres are cool, and this is even cooler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNN9JVO9lkI

Not sure I see them finding the ROI in it, but anything like that would be a welcome addition that would fit in nicely with the right film. Heck, it would probably do really well at DW with a "flying through the smokies" film.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 06, 2018, 12:23:54 PM »
That youtube, so basically we could yet again theorize on a modern version of Rube Dugan's Diving Bell.

So isn't there a vastly underused theater on the lake...

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #275 on: March 06, 2018, 07:30:49 PM »
So yeah, the implications for SDC with everything that's been leaked for DW today are pretty big. HFEC is now working with Vekoma? Vekoma makes a ton of rides, including the stuff they make for Disney (although really they just supply hardware to Disney...)

I could absolutely see us getting a family suspended near FL a few years down the road after this. The park needs another family coaster.

And then there's the rest of their lineup including the new flying coasters and hypers.

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #276 on: March 07, 2018, 02:56:34 AM »
If the new project at Dollywood does not include some kind of Mack hopefully this means SDC will get a Mack Hyper or Big Dipper in 2020.

But a B&M Invert or Wing swooping over Lake Silver would be nice too.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:59:15 AM by sdcfan88 »

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 18, 2018, 09:25:20 PM »
In terms of speculation regarding a future coaster, would you all bet on another family investment a la TT and TNT, or do you think HFEC will opt to go for something bigger? While TT is their largest investment to date, I think we can probably all agree the coaster is intended to appeal to a broader demographic, versus catering to the ultimate thrill seeker. Just curious what the consensus is on a best guess around the next possible coaster addition at SDC? While I do agree a smaller family oriented coaster would still be a nice addition near FL and/or GE, I personally would like to see a landmark coaster anchoring some westward expansion beyond PK and OR.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 18, 2018, 09:52:10 PM »
Personally, I think that the park could really use a more truly family coaster like FireChaser or Big Thunder Montain Railroad. Currently, kids go from the GE coaster/Fire in the Hole straight to Outlaw Run and Powder Keg. Having a longer coaster at the 40” height would be a huge help for families with slightly older kids.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #279 on: March 18, 2018, 10:08:14 PM »
Personally, I think that the park could really use a more truly family coaster like FireChaser or Big Thunder Montain Railroad. Currently, kids go from the GE coaster/Fire in the Hole straight to Outlaw Run and Powder Keg. Having a longer coaster at the 40” height would be a huge help for families with slightly older kids.

With regards to heights...
GE Coaster / FITH
ThuNderaTion
PowderKeg
Outlaw Run / Time Traveler
Wildfire
SWOOSH

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 18, 2018, 10:18:19 PM »
I did not realize that Powder Keg and Thinderation allowed 42” riders with a companion as the app doesn’t say that like it does for other rides that allow 36” riders with a companion. That does make it a bit better, but having something a bit more in between would still be a great addition. Not that a new big coaster wouldn’t be great too. My perspective has changed on this now that my 2 year old loves Fire in the Hole and wishes that there were more coasters that we could do together.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:25:41 PM by mg »

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 18, 2018, 10:23:09 PM »
With regards to heights...
GE Coaster / FITH
ThuNderaTion
PowderKeg
Outlaw Run / Time Traveler
Wildfire

Here is the list with minimum heights:

36” GE Coaster / FITH
42” Thnderation / Powder Keg
48” Outlaw Run
51” Time Traveler
52” Wildfire

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 19, 2018, 11:47:40 AM »
I still look for a large family coaster south of FL. There is a large area there to be used up.

underdog250

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 19, 2018, 04:01:39 PM »
While I do enjoy riding the Time Traveler I was a little disappointed regarding the lack of theming. For a future ride I'd love something that's not an outdoor coaster. I'm a huge proponent of themed attractions and regarding coasters if there is any theming it's usually pretty minimal and limited to the queue line. Walt Disney understood the importance of theming and world building in a ride. I would just love something closer in scope to Mystery Mine or just have a straight up dark ride like FITH or Flooded Mine. The record breaking coasters do attract headlines for a few weeks but after that we will have the ride for decades to come so it needs to be an instant classic. Regarding Time Traveler, I noticed most of the themed elements in the line queue were non-operational. Many gears that looked like they were supposed to turn didn't. I'm sure they'll get it running in the coming weeks but it would have been nice to have it finished for the opening.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:10:55 PM by underdog250 »

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 16, 2018, 10:15:13 AM »

There is a lot of speculation on here that SDC will be force to deal with the SDC self-built classics soon (FiTH, FM, AP).  FM has got some recent minor upgrades both in the ride and on its structure.  A lot of folks on this board would love to see them get major overhauls soon...maybe get them to a place where they (FM, FiTH) could 'compete' with more modern dark rides.  I wouldn't mind a complete new indoor and/or dark ride too as long as it doesn't cost us one of the classics.

If I could play SDC owner with unlimited funds right now....I'd modernize FM and FiTH.  Rebuild a AP back behind the current one to open up some space.  Use that space for new plaza/walkway and complete a loop over with WF over to PK.  That would give access to to some additional lots for bigger coaster possibilities back by WF/PK and some real estate for another indoor ride around where AP is now.  I'd put another show building behind FL....convert the dockside building to probably to a restaurant.....add small family ride/coaster in the old water toboggan lot.  Plus somehow magically expand the pathways and reconfigure some of the food shacks to help with the crowd flow....lol.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"