Author Topic: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)  (Read 157177 times)

dawsonrt

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
Re: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)
« Reply #225 on: July 17, 2017, 10:32:07 PM »

AND FTR - I would love SDC to have a Festival of Music for Band as I would rather take my band there then to WOF but you do what you have to do.

A little bit off topic, but I was not impressed with the WoF festival. Theater is a bit outdated and had no backstage where we could bring in equipment. We had to roll our equipment through the park to the theater, then down the rows of seats and lifted it to the stage. It was quite the headache especially when you're timed.
-Spencer

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #226 on: July 17, 2017, 11:35:26 PM »

AND FTR - I would love SDC to have a Festival of Music for Band as I would rather take my band there then to WOF but you do what you have to do.

A little bit off topic, but I was not impressed with the WoF festival. Theater is a bit outdated and had no backstage where we could bring in equipment. We had to roll our equipment through the park to the theater, then down the rows of seats and lifted it to the stage. It was quite the headache especially when you're timed.

Oh please you had to roll it from the front gate around one ride and into the theatre.  The theatre is literally at the very front of the park.  What could you have possibly needed to bring that wasn't supplied for you by the park?
SWOOSH

dawsonrt

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 18, 2017, 06:35:37 PM »

Oh please you had to roll it from the front gate around one ride and into the theatre.  The theatre is literally at the very front of the park.  What could you have possibly needed to bring that wasn't supplied for you by the park?

True, but the state if the theater was eh
-Spencer

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 18, 2017, 06:51:05 PM »

True, but the state if the theater was eh

The theatre itself is fine, the lobby on the other hand could use some help. 
SWOOSH

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 19, 2017, 01:23:39 PM »
I agree that it needs to have the drop track.  Would you be against them building the new Fire in the Hole in/by Fireman's Landing?   Even better, they could remove Boatworks Theatre and straighten the pathway to FL from the RR crossing then use all of the area left from WB down to FL for the new FITH.  It could have a huge show building that way. 

Now where the current FITH is, they can build a state of the art Theatre as a replacement for the loss of Boatworks.

I have heard about the water fountain next to RF being taken out (wont say who) and the pathway going through there somehow. Boatworks is in the oddest position than anything else because you have to walk around it.

Moving FITH there and making it go over the walkway would be cool. They could even go with a wilder manufacturer and make it look like the SDC version of MM. If they do that, it would take out the theater. They already have the Saloon and OH near FITH. If they add another theater next to a great one, that would be a head scratcher and possibly make the area even more congested than it already is.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 20, 2017, 10:32:58 AM »
Here where my mind wonders on the fate of the classics:  I have no inside knowledge....just my 'fun' speculation...

Have FiTH take a season off as a replacement attraction is built in that building.  Probably a "Justice League" type of ride.  Can even keep the theme and storyline....just add modern tech for a 'better' ride experience.

Add a new modern water ride and/or chute ride behind AP an open up a ton of new space in the AP lot to use for better path flow to WF and maybe close the loop over to PK.

I've always pictured a tower at the site of FM where might be able to reuse a lot of the building.  They find black gold under the mine....they unflood the mine....free the inmates to work the oil rig....and build a oil tower.  Build a 200ft tower of terror style ride that has a mining elevater move through the old path of the ride with all new theming in the mine....then lines up with a new oil tower (on the pond near the end of the ride) where a gusher of black gold takes you for a ride.  Would be a great centerpiece for for the middle of the park.

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 20, 2017, 05:12:51 PM »
How about the replacement for AP be added to Fireman's Landing and utilize all of the land their behind the current rides and the old WB lot.  I do like the idea of a replacement being built to replace the ride before the current versions are removed. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #232 on: July 21, 2017, 09:16:41 PM »
After riding three more log flumes at Dorney, Hershey, and Knoebel's, I am even less impressed with AP sans the original tunnel. If only they had used more of the original Jim Owen's channel. The dark tunnel doesn't really feel like it adds anything to the ride experience, and unlike most other flumes, there's no "downward jog" section where the boats kind of careen down around a few turns or something.

Honestly I don't know what has kept them from doing something with it already. It is the perfect attraction to be remade in a big way since it has already lost what made it special anyway. I would love them if they built a new hopkins flume and included a shed/tunnel or something that paid homage to the original AP tunnel with a few animatronics or some kind of scene.

I really can't think of any modern ride system that could replace Flooded Mine with any resemblance of the same SDC feeling. They can make it work with a lot of good theming, but the ride system itself will really try to throw it toward a modern feeling. Anything like Justice League would be depressing for me, honestly. It's a good ride in it's own right, but even with some SDC theming it wouldn't hit any of the same notes. It would be more of a thrill ride. I hope they get something that everyone can ride no matter their condition like FM.

There are a lot of options for FiTH on the other hand... All they need is a new track/vehicle system and some new animatronics. Only problem is that there is no way in hell they'll keep the baldknobbers. Hello politically correct "mystery mine".

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 24, 2017, 07:56:18 AM »
Quite some time ago, someone on this site suggested bringing back a float trip ride, but with a bigfoot theme, and called it The Creature on the Creek. I still think that is a great idea. A mystery mine is a good idea, too. I wonder how the kid on the Undercover Boss program is doing...what about his idea for a coaster on Lake Silver that plunges underwater!?!
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 30, 2017, 10:26:24 AM »
Quite some time ago, someone on this site suggested bringing back a float trip ride, but with a bigfoot theme, and called it The Creature on the Creek. I still think that is a great idea. A mystery mine is a good idea, too. I wonder how the kid on the Undercover Boss program is doing...what about his idea for a coaster on Lake Silver that plunges underwater!?!

With the advancement of acrylic tubes that you see in aquariums and for even underwater hotel rooms, I am shocked someone hasn't incorporated that onto coaster design especially Seaworld. It would really neat at a d bottom of a drop or just for a brake run back to the station to jazz up hosting hum moments

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 30, 2017, 11:04:35 AM »
So we all either know of or have rode Firechaser at Dollymounds. Here's another Gerstlauer ride that is much the same at Parc Astrix outside of Paris. I think they could have done more with the show sections

https://youtu.be/x_k6AmmZeyU

Now here's a Gerstlauer in Germany. It has a vertical with drop lift. Check out how it stops and drops before going on to the apex
https://youtu.be/rjLt98Q4LMM

Anyway, we know Gerstlauer is getting the trick track thing down pat. The do reverse launches , drop tracks, ect, ect, ect.

We'll after watching that Parc Astrix pov when it comes to that second stop to go back to the station I was thinking it needed more. It needed to be a drop track feature as a last hurrah.

Anyway, I have theorized that SDC needed a coaster that had a dark ride/coaster that either has a drop se ton as part of the queue or ride. Think getting in a mine shaft elevator and then, have some trouble, yikes.

Anyhoo, i'd love to see a ride that did that reverse launch from a show building into another show building that drop tracked you into another launch for the back to station run or a show buildin that incorporated both the drop into a reverse launch. You go into a cave, come to a stop due to track being blocked and then as you hear a roar and a Bear AA coming, you back back out. Now the train is out of control in a dark segment and it finally comes to a stop and then the bottom drops out and you launch out of the darkness
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 02:17:50 PM by chittlins »

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 30, 2017, 12:10:41 PM »
That dark drop launch is cool.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 30, 2017, 01:09:57 PM »
So we all either know of or have rode Firechaser at Dollymounds. Here's another Gerstlauer ride that is much the same. I think they could have done more with the show sections

Now here's a Gerstlauer in Germany. It has a vertical with drop lift. Check out how it stops and drops before going on to the apex
https://youtu.be/rjLt98Q4LMM

Anyway, we know Gerstlauer is getting the trick track thing down pat. The do reverse launches , drop tracks, ect, ect, ect.

We'll after watching that Parc Astrix pov when it comes to that second stop to go back to the station I was thinking it needed more. It needed to be a drop track feature as a last hurrah.

Anyway, I have theorized that SDC needed a coaster that had a dark ride/coaster that either has a drop se ton as part of the queue or ride. Think getting in a mine shaft elevator and then, have some trouble, yikes.

Anyhoo, i'd love to see a ride that did that reverse launch from a show building into another show building that drop tracked you into another launch for the back to station run or a show buildin that incorporated both the drop into a reverse launch. You go into a cave, come to a stop due to track being blocked and then as you hear a roar and a Bear AA coming, you back back out. Now the train is out of control in a dark segment and it finally comes to a stop and then the bottom drops out and you launch out of the darkness

I think this would be a good replacement for FITH.  I've come to terms that the classics are going to have to be replaced.  I'm not happy about it - they are going to have to be replaced because the park didn't take care of them back in the day and now they are paying the price (literally) for the neglect.  SO since they are going to have to be replaced, let's do it right.

=====

Since the park is going to need a new shooter ride with FM probably on its way out.  I would like to see them utilize the Carousel Barn and put in a Tom Sawyer themed dark ride to help tie in with the River Blast theme of the area.  You could board a small "raft" and "float" down the river on a Ghost Hunt and encounter AAs of Tom Sawyer characters.  I think it would be a great family ride and that way when we replace FM we no longer need the whole "shooting" element.

With the new FM I would like something more like Pirates of the Caribbean.  There could be a couple of drops to add a thrill element (with a very minimal "splash" on the front row - much like on POTC).  In fact they could go as far as having the boats drop under the train tracks to another building to make a longer ride.

SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 30, 2017, 02:32:47 PM »
That dark drop launch is cool.

( added the video link of the other coaster above)

Swoosh and I have had some rides on Verbolten at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. It's a solid coaster but that Drop makes it. This hasn't been done much in the US. It would be a unique thing to have and it could fit in soany themes. I still think it is a no brainer for the burning bridge scene in a new FITH and prefer it there.

Also notice how that Parc Astrix coaster crosses the raft ride. I'm a huge proponent of mixing rides together so there can play off of each other I still think a new flume should mix in a coaster where they can share encloses structures to get more "value" out of expensive rock structures.They can even share outside theming. I still think a coaster crossing the 'river" just doWN from a splash drop and a place where it runs along the flume ride.

Inspirations

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 02:34:56 PM by chittlins »

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #239 on: August 08, 2017, 11:33:39 PM »
While I know everyone is hyped up for the 2018 announcement... What's the story for 2020? Flat ride expansion? Attraction retheme/rebuild? Or will it be the long rumored coaster to be placed between WF and PK?