Author Topic: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)  (Read 157280 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)
« Reply #210 on: July 15, 2017, 11:13:49 PM »
I have nothing to back this up, just a gut-feeling....

I see the park taking out the "traditionals" one by one nd replacing them with newer modern versions.
If I was a betting man, I'd say it would go Flooded Mine, Fire in the Hole, Lost River and the. American Plunge.
Each attraction needs a major overhaul and I just imagine the PTB would rather pay for a lower maintenance cost version then to continue throwing money at the current versions. 

It's also easier to get ROI when promoting a brand new state of the art version of an older beloved ride.

I know it's not ideal to us purists but I'm coming to terms that this is going to happen sooner not later

I'vr said it before, "Verbolten" Fire in the Hole, updated tech, AAs and HD screens for fire up to the Burning Bridge. Bridge is drop track to black and then launch into a new in the dark coaster segment.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #211 on: July 15, 2017, 11:38:03 PM »
I agree that it needs to have the drop track.  Would you be against them building the new Fire in the Hole in/by Fireman's Landing?   Even better, they could remove Boatworks Theatre and straighten the pathway to FL from the RR crossing then use all of the area left from WB down to FL for the new FITH.  It could have a huge show building that way. 

Now where the current FITH is, they can build a state of the art Theatre as a replacement for the loss of Boatworks. 
SWOOSH

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 16, 2017, 09:41:35 AM »
I am definitely not against updating our old favorites. I think American Plunge and FITH are in the worst shape of the four. However, updating is not the same as relocating as you are suggesting. I can see the benefits of that but I have to admit, I would have a hard time coming to grips with it even if I liked the final products.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 16, 2017, 10:20:51 AM »
I agree that it needs to have the drop track.  Would you be against them building the new Fire in the Hole in/by Fireman's Landing?   Even better, they could remove Boatworks Theatre and straighten the pathway to FL from the RR crossing then use all of the area left from WB down to FL for the new FITH.  It could have a huge show building that way. 

Now where the current FITH is, they can build a state of the art Theatre as a replacement for the loss of Boatworks.

Others here are at a disadvantage, as we have been on a drop track like Verbolten and know how fun of a ride it is. That's a Zierer and I doubt that SDC would chose them, Gerstlauer would be the one I'd presume since Intamin seems out of the question. Is there a Mack?

Yeah, I could live with a relocation of FITH. The important thing is the story and how they tell it. Needs to stay true.

I'm against Flooded Mine, They just need to redo the senes with modern tech and ditch the guns. See new Mystic Manor and Pirates.

American Plunge could use most of its existing for print, but a new version with multiple drops including a backwards section. Us park buffs have seen the new Chiapas at Phantasialand with it's dark secrions but this new one at Tayto Park could be more of what we could see at SDC and get two across seating to up the capacity.

https://youtu.be/xRrEHSRC4Mg

Pov
https://youtu.be/sp063KoSdFM

Still think they should get with Mack to do that and mix in a bobsled type coaster so that you get two ride to share the effort and money put into the rockwork. A coaster running along side and crossing the flume channel near drops would be awesome.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 10:26:40 AM by chittlins »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 16, 2017, 12:31:08 PM »
I am definitely not against updating our old favorites. I think American Plunge and FITH are in the worst shape of the four. However, updating is not the same as relocating as you are suggesting. I can see the benefits of that but I have to admit, I would have a hard time coming to grips with it even if I liked the final products.

Well I will tell you right now, to the PTB their version of "updating" will be to level the current and build all new from ground up so relocation seems like a null point with that in mind. 

One would think AP is in the worst shape but lack of theme has little to do with the actual ride mechanics.  FITH has some major holes in the roof now.  LR needs new troughs as the current ones are losing lots of water due to cracks.  FM needs a lot of expensive infrastructure work...

I just have a bad feeling that while everyone is distracted by the new shiny next season, one of these will quietly be closed and removed. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #215 on: July 17, 2017, 11:08:34 AM »
I agree. Of course, we've been having this same discussion for ten years solid now on this site, but we always knew it was a matter of time. I am still trying to be optimistic that they will do a good job keeping the true legacy alive, but its a tall order.

I do NOT want to see any of those screens like on the SF dark rides. They are cool in their own right, but totally against the hand made spirit of these classics.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 17, 2017, 12:40:14 PM »
I would not be against the way POTC at Shanghai Disney does it. 
SWOOSH

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #217 on: July 17, 2017, 05:23:59 PM »

If they were to move FITH and put a new theater in its current location, I wonder how congested that area would get having the Opera House, PK, Saloon, and new theater. If they could avoid that it would be really nice for the older people who visit SDC and only care about the shows to have more shows in one area.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 17, 2017, 05:49:44 PM »

I just have a bad feeling that while everyone is distracted by the new shiny next season, one of these will quietly be closed and removed.
[/quote]

I have had the same concerns, just havent voiced them.. :-\ :-\

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 17, 2017, 06:51:44 PM »
If a new version of FITH was built at Dockside, that would open up that area for a loop to the Outlaw Run area. A couple of western themed flats(preferably covered) would work. Those bull themed bumper cars in a barn would work. One adult size and one kiddie sized.

I just don't see another show building, productions are expensive, there's a reason one is shuttered.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #220 on: July 17, 2017, 07:43:57 PM »
If a new version of FITH was built at Dockside, that would open up that area for a loop to the Outlaw Run area. A couple of western themed flats(preferably covered) would work. Those bull themed bumper cars in a barn would work. One adult size and one kiddie sized.

I just don't see another show building, productions are expensive, there's a reason one is shuttered.

What is shuttered besides the Midtown stage?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 17, 2017, 07:52:07 PM »

What is shuttered besides the Midtown stage?

I think he's talking about Riverfront.  It's not really shuttered as Rockapella is going to be performing there soon. 
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #222 on: July 17, 2017, 08:09:37 PM »
That's what I figured.  I was going to mention magic shows, Rockapella, the living nativity, and other shows that are still in there.  I love that theater and would love to see a return to the old show format, but it hasn't really been shuttered.  It's also used for school music competitions and during the church of Christ weekend.

I'm actually surprised at how often the Opera House is not being used.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

dawsonrt

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 17, 2017, 09:45:37 PM »
That's what I figured.  I was going to mention magic shows, Rockapella, the living nativity, and other shows that are still in there.  I love that theater and would love to see a return to the old show format, but it hasn't really been shuttered.  It's also used for school music competitions and during the church of Christ weekend.

Moving the Music Summit Choir Festival to the Opera House and opening it up to High School bands would be a good move. Sort of similar to the WoF Festival of Music.
-Spencer

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 17, 2017, 10:07:59 PM »

Moving the Music Summit Choir Festival to the Opera House and opening it up to High School bands would be a good move. Sort of similar to the WoF Festival of Music.

Here's the issue with using the Opera House for that - accessibility.  When the groups choral groups come to perform they can park the buses back behind Fireman's Landing while the group performs, then they get back on the bus and are shuttled back to the main entrance.  That's what they did with my band when we performed for the Firemans Landing Grand Opening.  We of course marched from the square down but then after our performance down at FL we boarded our buses and were taken back up to the front gate.  I honestly wished they had a performance venue closer to the front gate for this very reason -- and to help disperse the crowd more during the bigger show festivals.

AND FTR - I would love SDC to have a Festival of Music for Band as I would rather take my band there then to WOF but you do what you have to do.

SWOOSH