Author Topic: Hound Dog Jubilee  (Read 4664 times)

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Hound Dog Jubilee
« on: August 23, 2008, 03:30:51 PM »
Does anyone know what this is?

http://traarchitects.com/silver_dollar_city

I found this site and have never heard about this.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
Re: Hound Dog Jubilee
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 04:38:43 PM »
Really dim memory of a mechanical show that never worked right so it never ran in public. Thats why know one remembers it. Early 80's I think. SDC looking for there own "Country Bear" kind of thing. Zephon might remember more, he was in the theaters back then....Long long ago....the dark ages.....before the internet....and CD's...and indoor plumbing......
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 05:55:49 PM by Old Guy »
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 05:24:11 PM »
I wouldn't mind something like this.  It looks like this company has a track record of working on some of the major attractions at Disney and Universal.  I wonder why this project didn't work out.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcforever

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 08:35:26 PM »
In the last photo you can really see the "Country Bears" inspiration. :)

DocSpeleo

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 09:40:18 AM »
Wow, that would be cool... maybe they can add it to the cave.. lol  hahaha
change them into giant salamanders... eww no that'd be scary

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 03:40:17 PM »
I contacted the address on this site and asked him about the Hound Dogs.  Here is his response, which includes work on two other projects, one of which was the Diving Bell:

Thanks for your e-mail. I was unaware that there was a web site with my Silver Dollar City work and I would appreciate it if you could give me the site address. Regarding the Hound Dog Jubilee, it was part of 3 separate attractions package I was commissioned by Jack Hershend to do concept designs for. The other 2 were the "Hillbiddies" a fantasy small world type ride where guests were transported down a mountain stream in leaf-like boats into a world where the guests were shrunk to fit into the tiny "Hillbiddie" world. The final concept was Rube Duggans Diving Bell which was a simulated underwater adventure to find the treasure of Lake Silver.

All of these concepts were done between 1977-78 and the latter was the final to be accepted for development.  We did the underwater and special efx filming in LA working with my friend Jim Sommers of IPS,International Producers Services, The project was very successful and one of the first simulators produced for the theme park industry.

Regarding the Hounds, I bought back the rights to the characters and in California in 1981 thru 1987 I was co-founder of Animated Show Productions, Applied Entertainment Systems and Sequoia Creative. We produced 7 14 character animated shows and 10, 12 minute musical reviews, These were part of the Rivertowne Restaurants and the Rivertowne Review was state of the art music and animation and was on the level of Disneys Country Bear Jamboree.

It was because I had worked on the Bear Band and my partners Dave Schweninger and Bob Gurr were Head of MAPO and Chief concept engineers for Disney for a collective 55 years. Bob Gurr is still a Disney consultant as am I. Other notables contributing to the success of the Rivertowne show were Disney veterans Al"Big Al" Bertino, Marc Davis,Bill Justice and Music and Orchistration by Bob Brunner and Bruce Belland ( the 4 Freshmen ].

Sequoia was the leader in Animation and created Conan Swords and Sorcery and King Kong for Universal in Ca. which opened to rave reviews in 1986. That success prompet Lew Wasserman to give the OK for development of the Florida Park. I resigned from Sequoia in 1987 and went into business under TRA, Architecture,Planning ,Show Design. I was promptly given the commission by Universal to design and develop the JAWS attraction for Florida.

My team at TRA did the largest single attraction at the time ( may still be) the only thing we did'nt do was the sharks and the boats which were nothing but trouble and after a few months caused a 6 month shutdown. As of this day it's still one of the most popular attraction at the Park.

I could go on but I've got to get back to work,let me hear from you for any further info you may require.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 05:55:42 PM »
Wow!  Bob Gurr, Al Bertino, Marc Davis, and Bill Justice were all VERY big names here at Disney.  Bob's work in particular is fantastic and can be seen all over the property.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

sdcforever

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 07:58:16 PM »
^^Fantastic info, History Buff.  Thanks for posting his response! :D

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 03:46:03 PM »
I swear that Frontier City in Oklahoma City had a set of singing bears on a stage in the main building when you entered the park.  I have not been there in 2 years but I think they had one.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 07:16:16 PM »
Adventureland in Iowa had one at one time.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 09:26:45 AM »
I went to Frontier City for fright fest last weekend and the bears are still there.  They do not work anymore but they are still in the main building when you walk in.   I did not have a camera with me to take a pic....
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey