Author Topic: Water Chute in Branson  (Read 8877 times)

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Water Chute in Branson
« on: June 27, 2015, 06:23:13 PM »
Just an FYI.  I talked to the owner of the Water Chute today and she said after 40 years she is going to sell ( she is almost 80).  She said she would hope whoever buys it would keep it open but since this is prime real estate where it is you never know what will happen.  If you have never been on the slide or you love it from your childhood you might about going now before it's too late.  We had a blast there today.  Still only $15 for an hour of sliding.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Hollwood

Re: Water Chute in Branson
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 06:48:35 AM »
This land has been on the market for years... 2.7 million for the acre of land, whatever is on it is "free."

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 08:39:36 AM »
Not providing business books with purchase. Interesting. I did go and enjoy the water chute about 30 years ago. It was well established even then, and did amazing business. The current old time photo place has been used by many businesses and sat empty many times over the years. With all the things to do in Branson now, my guess is the crowd is not as heavy. It would be a fun business to run, and with three houses, plenty of room for family when they visit, lol.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 01:36:43 PM »
In the hour we were there there was easily over 100 people sliding. 

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 02:55:37 PM »
A relic of the past before Water Parks came into Vogue. Hope it continues on. At one time there were several of these along the strip. SDC even had one attached to the campground. Anyone remember it? We used to use it all the time.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 04:57:41 PM »
Yes, the wet and wild waterslide across the road from the campground was fantastic. My belief is it was the best in the area. It was removed when Whitewater was built.

Hollwood

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 06:02:36 PM »
There was a pretty wicked complex across the street from the new library (I say new but it was like 15 years ago). Maybe James River area? Also there is, or was, a complex on the giant hill to the right shortly after SFSL (on the left)...

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 10:05:13 PM »
Yes, the wet and wild waterslide across the road from the campground was fantastic. My belief is it was the best in the area. It was removed when Whitewater was built.
If that was the one SDC had at the campground it was really something.  I remember always wanting to go on it. It looked very SDC with similar rock work to SDC as I remember.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 04:28:09 PM »
Yes, Wet and Wild had the fake rocks, and a waterfall you walked through each time you got on the waterslide. I remember a day in summer of 1980 when about a half dozen of the Juniors met there and enjoyed a nice company visit...no admission charge, free use of the facilties for an hour. We picked a day when no other guests were there, had the place to ourselves. We were actually bummed out, ya know, teenaged guys but no girls in bikinis around! I think '80 was the last year for wet and wild, as Whitewater had opened.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 07:19:12 PM »
It was open after '80.  I know this because I rode it and I was born in '83.  I'd say it closed closer to 1990.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 08:03:08 PM »
Yes, Wet and Wild had the fake rocks, and a waterfall you walked through each time you got on the waterslide. I remember a day in summer of 1980 when about a half dozen of the Juniors met there and enjoyed a nice company visit...no admission charge, free use of the facilties for an hour. We picked a day when no other guests were there, had the place to ourselves. We were actually bummed out, ya know, teenaged guys but no girls in bikinis around! I think '80 was the last year for wet and wild, as Whitewater had opened.

Remember the movie Caddy Shack?  The summer help had use of the pool for 15 minutes - 1:00 - 1:15.  Reminds me of that!   ;D

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 09:35:09 PM »

Pics or this place never existed.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 10:14:24 PM »
We would drive out to use it every summer it was open. By far the best stand alone water slide in Branson. Loved the waterfall.

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 08:47:27 AM »
So does anyone know which slide was the first in Branson?