Author Topic: 10Best Voting 2015  (Read 9517 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: 10Best Voting 2015
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 07:45:59 AM »
Also if FL type areas is what we will be seeing more of then I guess I won't be going anymore. I am about over amusement parks anyway so it won't take much to push me completely away.

I am with you 100%, this is not an addition for the family this is another addition for the little ones.     

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 10:03:08 AM »
Well don't let the door hit you on your way out then.
My family (with no kids in the target age) visit FL every trip whereas we never went into GG once SH was removed.
You're also reading too literal into what I wrote.
SWOOSH

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 10:28:30 AM »
^There's some apples to oranges comparisons going on in the poll when you are comparing new thrill coasters to a new kid's area, but IMO Fireman's Landing deserves all the praise it can get. It's beautiful, it's brilliantly designed, it maintains thematic story telling while clustering a bunch of rides in a small area, and it has a little of something for almost everyone. The only thing wrong with it is that there's not more of it.

There will be "more of it" just not in that area.
Changes be coming.

I don't know if Swoosh is saying there will be more of the Fireman's theme, just that there will be more beautiful, brilliantly designed additions (or changes) that have something for everyone.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 10:34:05 AM »
^^First, I don't want to think too hard, so what is SH?

^Second, I think Tmboote is closer to a correct translation of Swoosh's cryptic statement.  It sounds like there may be another "area" on the horizon.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 11:20:49 AM »
Well don't let the door hit you on your way out then.
My family (with no kids in the target age) visit FL every trip whereas we never went into GG once SH was removed.
You're also reading too literal into what I wrote.

Well my family thinks it looks like a giant cartoon. So, I guess it's just a matter of opinion. Like I said earlier I am about over Amusment parks anyway. Way to much of the real world to see.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 11:32:57 AM »
What it needs is a street show, where the hoses leak onto the audience and the firefighters run around like clowns - even a couple of roaming firefighters who interact with patrons.  I wish these "areas" would include some thought to entertainment and interaction and not just rides.  The theme is a valid one, and it's certainly a step above what other parks do, but I understand your point of view, as well, Runner.

pintrader

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 11:58:19 AM »
^^First, I don't want to think too hard, so what is SH?

I believe the reference is to Splash Harbor which was removed after the 2009 season.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 12:44:17 PM »
^^Lucky kind of accomplishes that already... even if it isn't ideal for everyone. I remember when the original plans for Geyser Gulch included a small stage show and roving characters. I think with all the hustle and activities going on in the area already the kids just don't want to stop to see some characters they don't know or understand. The skits shows are probably better left for slightly quieter sections of the park. The characters are always useful though.

I also understand your viewpoint Runner1960, but I'm still framing my viewpoint with the understanding that this is a huge improvement over what was there before and it's a huge step up from what other parks are doing. There's really not much room to complain about it when you come from that perspective. I too am wishing they'd add more of the old SDC stuff, but you have to admit that there's a number of hurdles they've been facing there. There just aren't many true craftsmen left, and the few that are around don't want to work in a theme park setting or aren't going to without a bunch of $$$ upfront. There's less and less they can actually add to the park that isn't ride-oriented or based on pop-culture. I'm still extremely pleased that they haven't gone the Dollywood route or worse and are still keeping as much of the old spirit alive as possible. When you compare how SDC operates to the rest of the industry, you see so much to be thankful and appreciative for.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2015, 01:30:24 PM »
^There's some apples to oranges comparisons going on in the poll when you are comparing new thrill coasters to a new kid's area, but IMO Fireman's Landing deserves all the praise it can get. It's beautiful, it's brilliantly designed, it maintains thematic story telling while clustering a bunch of rides in a small area, and it has a little of something for almost everyone. The only thing wrong with it is that there's not more of it.

It's missing a family coaster 8)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2015, 01:48:04 PM »

[/quote]
It's missing a family coaster 8)
[/quote]

You mean this area is missing a family coaster?...  (for now anyway) ;)

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2015, 03:52:58 PM »
^^Lucky kind of accomplishes that already... even if it isn't ideal for everyone. I remember when the original plans for Geyser Gulch included a small stage show and roving characters. I think with all the hustle and activities going on in the area already the kids just don't want to stop to see some characters they don't know or understand. The skits shows are probably better left for slightly quieter sections of the park. The characters are always useful though.

Not a stage show at all, but a couple of talented improvers who can keep people busy and draw some from the lines.  Hollywood Studios, EPCOT, and Universal do this well, and it rounds out the experience, much like a little brass band or barbershop quartet would enhance the GE area.  A kid in a dog suit might attract a certain crowd, but such characters make the area into more than a collection of rides.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2015, 10:13:09 AM »
Guess I looked at the dates wrong because voting has ended. Results will be announced on Friday July 10.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 03:10:19 PM »
Outlaw Run finishes 2nd and Fireman's Landing finishes 8th.

http://10be.st/1L312Dl

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 03:34:06 PM »
Not bad! Really wish we could have gotten OR to be #1, they would have loved that. They'll still use the 'top 10' tag line though.