Author Topic: Original Silver Dollar City Entrance Sign photo?  (Read 9329 times)

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Original Silver Dollar City Entrance Sign photo?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 11:35:04 PM »
Does anyone remember the water standpipes that was at the parking lot to the park entrance that had the miner with ax and a park guide on it?
SDC has always made a great past to remember

MoOzark

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • I raised the Dizzy Dogs from little pups.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 06:15:53 PM »
I’m still somewhat confused about Pintraders’s photo because I don’t know where that was taken (exactly) or what direction the camera was facing. It looks like the ‘S’ curve that they recently bypassed. But if that is true, it would seem the arrow on the sign is pointing the wrong direction. Back in the 1960s and early 70s, I remember several signs on 76 with the miner pointing the way. It seems like one (or more) may have said something like, “You are almost there.”

In the early 1960s, Indian Point Road cut across directly in front of Wilderness Church and the McHaffie homestead. There was a parking lot in the square where the gazebo is now. By 1963, they closed that parking lot and opened another one where Flooded Mine, the depot, and the (old) woodcarvers barn is. Eventually, a new highway was constructed to route traffic around SDC to Indian Point. So, there have been several different places to enter SDC in the past.

Another thing: it seems that the miner on the old signs morphed into an ax carrying woodsman somewhere along the way. I like to know when that change happened.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 08:45:48 PM »
For some reason I've never thought about that.  The whole thing is more mine-themed than woodsman-themed, yet the adopted logo is a log and ax.  Curious.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 08:48:02 PM »
Location of the sign is the main entrance, with the camera facing west on Hwy. 76. I would guess photo is pre 1977, but that is as close as I can get on that.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 06:50:22 PM »
Seems like it would almost have to be at 76 and Indian Point Rd for the signs to make sense.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2015, 04:03:27 PM »
Yes, by main entrance I meant the 76/Indian Pt. intersection, sorry.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2015, 08:56:01 PM »
I knew what you meant.  ;D I was just trying to reinforce your statement for those that might not have.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 09:00:37 AM »
The side of the photo has a 1973 date. That would have been the year the photo was developed and printed.