Author Topic: SDC tornado/storm shelter plan?  (Read 6734 times)

mammalone

SDC tornado/storm shelter plan?
« on: June 02, 2015, 11:53:52 AM »
Does anyone happen to know what SDC's emergency shelter plan is in case of a tornado warning? When we were in the city on Saturday with the massive crowds, a friend posed the question where they would put everyone if there was a serious threat of a tornado. After seeing Joplin, it's always on my mind where I would go if I was in a public place during a serious storm.

pintrader

Re: SDC tornado/storm shelter plan?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 12:26:18 PM »
I think you will find some information about that on this thread.

http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=1612.0

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 12:49:39 PM »
The cave 😉
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 01:44:02 PM »
Just check the weather records from the 1880s and see if there were any tornados in the area.  If so, don't go. It's that simple.

Seriously, after reviewing the thread in PT's link, I think the policy of leaving it to the guest - putting the responsibility onto the visitor - is a good one.  Have a plan for those who want to hunker down, but don't force anyone to.  In fact, I might even have a policy of places that I would not allow someone to shelter, just because I wouldn't want the (dare I say) "haunting" legacy that would forever loom over the park from someone having to be dug out of a particular ride area.

That might have saved people in WalMart here in Joplin, and it may not have.  My friend was in WalMart before the 2011 tornado, and he almost had to use force to get past employees who were shoving people deeper into the store.  His reply to them was, "If I'm gonna die, I'm not gonna die in WalMart!" and he went home before the storm struck.  In that case, he may have saved his own life, but for others this strategy would not have worked.  Again, it really needs to be the responsibility of the individual and the family, and no business should be held liable for injuries or lives lost, unless they blatantly misinform people.  If you force people to comply with your policy, and then tragedy occurs, you will (and perhaps should) be held accountable for their injuries or death.

I used my friend's WalMart story in my novel about the Joplin tornado, Out of the Wind, which I present in this thread:

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:56:32 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 04:35:10 PM »
We were caught in the city during the echo hollow show in a tornado warning in the 90's.  They sent us to the restrooms to shelter if we chose.  However, it was not required and you were responsible for your own decision.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 04:32:29 PM »
Ironically...The Glass House seems like a good place to take shelter....at least near the furnaces

Beyond the cave and the cave restaurant I wouldn't feel to safe in 90% of the structures at SDC.  Maybe the Jail...mine ride...TNT queue....behind the scenes of FITH?

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 07:34:44 PM »
Down the hill behind the Wilderness Church?

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 07:46:55 PM »

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 09:33:41 PM »
The cave is a good place to be in a tornado,  but you might want to bring a flashlight.  If a tornado were to hit the city, the lights would probably go out

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 11:41:41 AM »
How many people would they actually allow in the cave?  It could be mass chaos, but I would imagine they would have back up lights.

Hollwood

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 04:50:32 PM »
No one is allowed in the cave during a storm that involves lightning. They would however allow people into the OMP since it is considered a safe place during a storm of that magnitude.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2015, 06:39:58 PM »
And why not?

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 10:21:33 PM »
Hubs says lightning would go right thru the cave and if your standing in there, you're in danger if there's a lightning strike.  Marvel is a multiple layer cave and the lower chamber is connected in several spots to the upper chamber. It wouldn't take much for the water to rise and fill the lower chamber thus rising to the upper chamber. I remember being really mad at him once when we got caught on the Current River in a horrible storm with the kids. There wasn't anywhere to get off the river, so we pulled off to the side under a slight ledge. Several other canoes climbed into a cave opening across from us, and I wanted to do the same. A couple fisherman pulled over with us and were talking about how dumb the people were climbing in the cave. Hubs was off the hook after that.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 10:55:28 PM »
I realize all about the flooding aspect.  Caves flood quickly.  In the case of lightning, however, it seems like electrical charges would be dispersed with polar attractions above the ground before they would enter the cave.

At any rate any strike through the entrance of Marvel would be attracted by the tower.  I wouldn't want to be in the cathedral room when that happened, but getting deeper should be safer.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 11:02:33 PM by History Buff »