Author Topic: The "What's Wrong With Branson" Mega-Thread  (Read 14730 times)

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
Re: The "What's Wrong With Branson" Mega-Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 08:43:34 AM »
Branson Harbor used to be an Ozarkland 35 years ago. It had been falling apart, and it was time to go.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2015, 07:58:47 AM »
So last weekend was the first time in awhile that I've driven through the first part of the strip in the daylight. I didn't realize it was still so rough since the tornado. I don't understand why progress has been so slow with all that prime real estate.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2015, 08:51:55 AM »
I paid particular attention this time. Everything is just ugly. I tried running and the sidewalks are coming apart. They have terrible slopes to them. There is a lot to do to make the strip pedestrian friendly. Might be my last trip ever to Branson. If they are having record tax revenues like what was reported last year, it would be nice if they invested some of it back in the infrastructure. Also hold property owners accountable for the ugly non maintained empty lots. Also some of the motels are really sketchy. Lots of flophouses.

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2015, 08:14:34 PM »
I paid particular attention this time. Everything is just ugly. I tried running and the sidewalks are coming apart. They have terrible slopes to them. There is a lot to do to make the strip pedestrian friendly. Might be my last trip ever to Branson. If they are having record tax revenues like what was reported last year, it would be nice if they invested some of it back in the infrastructure. Also hold property owners accountable for the ugly non maintained empty lots. Also some of the motels are really sketchy. Lots of flophouses.

Accountability would be great. Living in the area, you really get a feel for how badly certain parts of the town have been neglected. The strip from the exit from 65 to around Dixie just looks bad and could use a lot of love. Seems Branson is more interested in developing more around the Branson Hills area and not making improvements to continue building the tourism industry. I'm fine with them making improvements to make Branson a better place for the locals but they need to keep bringing in new elements and maintaining and improving what really drives this city.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2015, 10:12:04 PM »
After the Joplin tornado, I can assure you that it takes time for insurance claims to go through and FEMA investigations, and lots of other government and EPA red tape.  The city should issue deadlines and fines after these things all go through, but it wouldn't be fair to do so prematurely.  It's ridiculous how long it takes for some of this junk.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2015, 02:30:32 AM »
Accountability would be great. Living in the area, you really get a feel for how badly certain parts of the town have been neglected. The strip from the exit from 65 to around Dixie just looks bad and could use a lot of love.

I noticed this weekend as I was leaving town this weekend, the Crown Club Inn (south of 76 close to Auto Museum area) is installing a new façade on the front of the building. Looks like they are raisin the front about 10 feet. I would guess when that is down they will put a whole new face on the front and sides.  that will update the looks of that  building quite a bit.

Alos the Demo of the old ozarkland is coming along.. building is gone, no demo yet on house(s) behind. and no dirt work started yet.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 09:27:20 AM by shavethewhales »

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 10:05:12 PM »
I don't know what this tells you, but KY3 says there is a big need for workers, and Branson businesses are raising wages to attract them:

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/looking-for-a-job-branson-is-hiring/21048998_34227272

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2015, 06:31:31 PM »
After the Joplin tornado, I can assure you that it takes time for insurance claims to go through and FEMA investigations, and lots of other government and EPA red tape. 

I am pretty sure FEMA is/was not involved..  Not enough damage for the size of town..  Am I remembering that right?

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2015, 06:59:48 PM »
Regardless, the paperwork and insurance requirements are ridiculous.  Then there's the possibility of asbestos or other EPA-identified stuff.  I don't really think that's the whole problem, but it could have contributed to the delays.

krash9924

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 09:39:10 PM »
Branson's problem is simple, they have abandoned the middle and upper class families. Everything in Branson seems to be targeted to the lowest tier, from hotels to restaurants. Look at the hotels on the "strip", if you are looking for a nice upper tier hotel, your options are slim. Try finding a healthy place to eat!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2015, 08:49:07 AM »
^Not long ago I was suggesting hotels to someone coming for the first time. He likes nicer places, and other than the Holiday Inn and the convention center hotel I was scratching my head to think of another "nice" hotel in the $80-$200 range. I know there are a few around, especially out at the resorts, but there's not much right on the strip or in the downtown area where people want to have nightlife or hang out.

Just like most development in Oklahoma, investors are scared to do anything too "nice" because it might not pay off. It's better from their perspective to just go for the cheapest route and get the low hanging fruit until forced to do otherwise. It's up to the local government to grow a backbone and start enforcing a few standards that will improve the area for everyone.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2015, 05:46:48 PM »
^Not long ago I was suggesting hotels to someone coming for the first time. He likes nicer places, and other than the Holiday Inn and the convention center hotel I was scratching my head to think of another "nice" hotel in the $80-$200 range. I know there are a few around, especially out at the resorts, but there's not much right on the strip or in the downtown area where people want to have nightlife or hang out.

Just like most development in Oklahoma, investors are scared to do anything too "nice" because it might not pay off. It's better from their perspective to just go for the cheapest route and get the low hanging fruit until forced to do otherwise. It's up to the local government to grow a backbone and start enforcing a few standards that will improve the area for everyone.

What about the Radisson, the Comfort Inn on Gretna that consistently wins awards, the Hilton at the Landing (the sister hotel to the convention center), the Hampton on 76, the Hampton at Branson Hills, the Branson Hotel downtown (think it is over $100 a night)?

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2017, 12:40:23 PM »
Hampton in is nice but as comon as that type of hotel goes.  I myself would check out the French Quarter.  Nice resort type property next to the Olive garden.  They have a nice water play area for kids and hot tubs ect. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 04:57:58 PM »
Hampton in is nice but as comon as that type of hotel goes.  I myself would check out the French Quarter.  Nice resort type property next to the Olive garden.  They have a nice water play area for kids and hot tubs ect.

I agree with MH, have stayed there before using a time share. very nice area...  Also I would be tempted to try Stone Castle, IF someone else was paying the tab..... LOL

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2017, 06:23:35 PM »
I agree with MH, have stayed there before using a time share. very nice area...  Also I would be tempted to try Stone Castle, IF someone else was paying the tab..... LOL
If stone castle is where the indoor water park is I have heard reviews.  The one this I have heard is the clorine smell is overkill, they have it up too strong I guess.  It apparently gets all over not just in the pool area.  But to be fair I have not been.