Author Topic: The "What's Wrong With Branson" Mega-Thread  (Read 14731 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
The "What's Wrong With Branson" Mega-Thread
« on: May 19, 2015, 11:33:21 PM »
The issues of how Branson is failing in various areas and how to deal with it is a continual topic on these forums, but we're starting to repeat ourselves in multiple threads, so here is a mega thread to keep the discussion in one place.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The "What's Wrong With Branson" Mega-Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 08:25:30 AM »
I vote for a "What's Right With Branson" Mega-Thread, too!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 11:15:58 AM »
Shave, great idea. Be interesting to see how soon before the first conflict of opinion comes up.... ;D

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 11:33:04 AM »
My biggest issue is the prices of activities.  We generally don't even go in to town, unless we are without kids or headed in to white water. 

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 12:21:41 PM »
My biggest issue is the prices of activities.  We generally don't even go in to town, unless we are without kids or headed in to white water. 

Ringling  Bros. Is stopping in Ft. Smith. It's using the convention center for the performances. I never take the kids there cause it's a crappy venue. But they offer kids tickets for 10 bucks. They clearly think the back end merchandise sales will make the money and they do do uness you are a hard hosed parent.

I've often commented that Branson needs a venue/ arena with an attached 3* or higher hotel that could bring in and market the traveling kids shows with room packages and use it for other events in between. I think they missed this opportunity when they didn't add that kind of venue to the downtown convention center.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 03:08:43 PM »

I don't go into Branson either unless I'm with others, nieces, nephews, etc., that spend time there.  I don't think the price of activities is any higher than most tourist places - Gatlinburg, Pidgeon Forge, Galveston, Lake of the Ozarks. - When you think of the cost of going to a Disney area, San Francisco or Atlanta - it's going to cost quite a bit more.

SDC-BMW

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 07:46:36 PM »
Easy. They closed down the dollar shop on 76. All went down hill from there. ;D . I actually do miss that junk. Honestly. The Statler Brother Christmas ornaments were always a trash gift hit at stocking time. A tradition. I almost had the whole set :) Darn you dollar store! ;)

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 11:32:24 PM »
No more Uncle Joe's.   :'(
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

coalesce99

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 12:59:38 AM »
For me it's the fact that the rickety old tower at that intersection on 76 and the nearby (old, independent) wax museum is no longer there.  ;)

Seriously though I used to work for The Kansas City Star, and I distinctly remember a story we did a few years ago about Branson having a serious demographics problem...that old people are vacationing there and the young are not.

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 10:14:22 PM »
One of the things that is wrong with Branson is being torn down -- at the intersection of US 65 and 76 is the awful looking Branson Harbor complex. It is now being torn down. More info from Branson Tri-Lakes:

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_0e694ae0-1abb-11e5-9aff-afa9a77e711b.html

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 11:28:57 PM »
Yes! I thought that building was ugly too and Im glad to see that some construction for the Spirit Of 76 Project is now getting started. So excited!  :D ;D

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 08:51:07 AM »
I agree it was probably time for it to go, but that building has been there as long as I can remember. Seeing it always meant that my 7 hour drive was over, and that I made it to 76. It was the first building I saw when coming onto the strip. It's a landmark for those of us who come to Branson from the north on 65. Oh well...time marches on I suppose.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 10:28:03 AM »
I agree it was probably time for it to go, but that building has been there as long as I can remember. Seeing it always meant that my 7 hour drive was over, and that I made it to 76. It was the first building I saw when coming onto the strip. It's a landmark for those of us who come to Branson from the north on 65. Oh well...time marches on I suppose.

Me too!  I know I've reached my destination.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 10:42:21 AM »
I'm not sure that building was even on my wishlist for Branson structures to be demo'd, which is of course a long list. At least it had a smidge of character, unlike the generic strip mall structure that will likely soon replace it.

At least parking will be in the back, and there's a chance the developer will try to take advantage of the location and invest in something that will help define the area architecturally, but we should have learned by now not to get our hopes up.

Just look at the building next to it for an example of what is likely to come. ::)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 10:44:44 AM by shavethewhales »

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 07:30:38 PM »
In regards to Branson Harbor, back in the day when it was something else and in good condition, I did see it and feel as though I had arrived in Branson. But over the last 5 years it has really deteriorated and for over a year it was used as a storage lot for trailers and junk.