Author Topic: Spirit of 76 Project  (Read 18648 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Spirit of 76 Project
« on: May 11, 2015, 01:02:06 PM »
As we've discussed in scattered threads, a revitalization of the famous 76 strip has been proposed and is now in the initial stages of being implemented.

It looks like the first stage has finally been approved: http://www.bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_72ea2b76-f5b6-11e4-b5dd-f3776095f530.html?mode=story

The beautification features will be nice, but it remains to be seen if they will go all the way and be able to implement a public transportation solution (trams) and actually make the strip walkable.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Spirit of 76 Project
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 03:44:11 PM »
I'm eager to see some of this.  It sounds as if several businesses are on board, and that indicates it is a community effort.

As I've stated about SDC's evolving multi-theme, it's interesting that Branson's stated values are music, family fun, Ozark heritage, patriotism, veterans, and natural beauty.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 10:06:23 PM »
I

As I've stated about SDC's evolving multi-theme, it's interesting that Branson's stated values are music, family fun, Ozark heritage, patriotism, veterans, and natural beauty.

That just is not going to draw the millennial crowd. Branson target demographic is dying off. They are going to need to change tactics to survive against more aggressive competition.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 10:13:17 PM »
The theming of areas of the strip is not the answer to Branson's problems.  It is simply the answer to a question that has not been posed. 

If you want to know the answer, look at Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 11:03:46 AM »
The theming of areas of the strip is not the answer to Branson's problems.  It is simply the answer to a question that has not been posed. 

If you want to know the answer, look at Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 05:07:30 PM »
I can't disagree with you, but until a city does something to show that it is willing to invest, private businesses will not follow suit.  The only things they have really done in the last 40 years are establish alternate routes and install a center turn lane.  They should have been steadily investing in improvements, but they waited until it was a "crisis" to take action.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 09:00:45 PM »
I hate being Debbie Downer, but I honestly don't see how Branson can be "saved".  They hitched their carriage to the older crowd for so long that they alienated the younger crowd and that crowd has since gone on to bigger and better things.

I wonder how much longer SDC will act like a "good neighbor" -- I have a feeling that sometime very soon SDC will start just looking out for itself and pull all operations out to Indian Point.  Building a resort, a new waterpark and a new landing for SBB.  They would (for lack of a better way of putting it) become a mini-WDW.  There would be no need to leave their properties because everything that you'd need would be there.  Don't smirk too hard at the thought of this happening, I guarantee that this has already crossed the PTBs minds.  It's no big secret that SDC is what is keeping this area afloat. 
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 09:55:32 PM »
You may be right, Swoosh, but I think it's a risk HFE isn't ready to take.  Most of us would still stay at The Classic with its reduced rates IF we don't just make it a day trip.  Any inclusive resort would have to be something special, which adds up to big dollars.  Without a complementary area to support it, I just don't see them making this move, though I would love to see it happen.  Indian Point, Notch, and the area would become the new Branson.

At the same time, the free market could prevail if given a friendlier economy.  I don't know what it will all look like, but hopefully things will correct themselves.  Like I say, the local investment by the city should show outside investors they are willing to work for it.  Something they should do also is raze defunct buildings and not let them sit there like a billboard for defeat.  Hopefully things will not go the way of Eureka Springs, though there are definitely similarities.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 02:10:47 AM »
Most people haven't noticed that the city limits of Branson West is now at SDC's property line, EAST of Notch. Branson's is several miles away, and in a different county. I see a shift in the "benefits" in the near future, as BW has begun cleaning up the town, improving roads, adding new street lights, etc. Food for thought.
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 08:46:07 AM »
You may be right, Swoosh, but I think it's a risk HFE isn't ready to take.  Most of us would still stay at The Classic with its reduced rates IF we don't just make it a day trip.  Any inclusive resort would have to be something special, which adds up to big dollars.  Without a complementary area to support it, I just don't see them making this move, though I would love to see it happen.  Indian Point, Notch, and the area would become the new Branson.

At the same time, the free market could prevail if given a friendlier economy.  I don't know what it will all look like, but hopefully things will correct themselves.  Like I say, the local investment by the city should show outside investors they are willing to work for it.  Something they should do also is raze defunct buildings and not let them sit there like a billboard for defeat.  Hopefully things will not go the way of Eureka Springs, though there are definitely similarities.

Eureka, where to start....

Place still has a few original shops but's its mostly cheap import crap now. The Passion Play seems to have new life with new ownership. It's heavy on bikers these days and the city is little San Fran east of the Rockies as being a hub of super progressivism. A town that should have passed a law for the protection of nonprogressives instead passed a law for the progressives. I joked with a friend that's gay and lives there that they had run the town for over a decade, he conceded it's just the "everybody else is doing it" mentality run amuck. Interestingly enough, they have relocated the shop to Fayetteville.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 03:03:50 PM »
Pig Trail Harley Davidson has been promoting bike runs from Rogers to Eureka, and a year or two back purchased the Fun Spot at Eureka, and they have a bar and shop there, too. I recently was told Pig Trail purchased the little strip mall adjacent to Pine Mt. Theater, and when I passed thru last weekend they has a sign on a shop there. I heard they bought the theater, but am not sure. Mike Bishop had the show for years and is the chamber of commerce president, so I may be wrong on the theater changing hands. No doubt, the biker thing is doing well for Eureka.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 08:45:54 PM »
Most people haven't noticed that the city limits of Branson West is now at SDC's property line, EAST of Notch. Branson's is several miles away, and in a different county. I see a shift in the "benefits" in the near future, as BW has begun cleaning up the town, improving roads, adding new street lights, etc. Food for thought.

I have stayed in Branson West in the distant past but have not been through there in a while. I may have to drive that way and check it out.
  Its actually a fairly fast run to Springfield that way.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 05:54:21 AM »
I haven't been west of SDC for years...   

Sounds like a sunday afternoon cruise. ::).

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 09:26:34 PM »
Yes. I dont doubt that SDC will try to become a resort like Grand Country, but with rides, more shows, more theaters, etc. Branson already rovolves around SDC at the moment. When SDC closes, almost everything else shuts down in Branson. If SDC goes bankrupt, Branson will too. 76 should have had a widening a long time ago, but they have been advertising for people to use the Red, Yellow, and Blue Routes. At first I thought that would work, but I guess people would rather use 76. I wish they wouldve made 76 into 4 lanes a long time ago. The sidewalks are nice now and I see a few people using them, especially me when I can walk faster than the traffic. Im not sure if the trolley will work to lessen the traffic, but it will definately save my legs the pain of walking too far, especially if they can take us to SDC. Its hard for people to get to SDC if they dont have a car or dont want to drive. If they dont have room to make 76 into 4 lanes, I dont see how they will have room to put trees on the side of the road and widen the sidewalk. I also dont see how making the sidewalk look better, will make more people walk there. Im pretty sure they also dont have room for parking spaces along the sidewalk either. All the restaraunts and shops are just too close to the road.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:27:28 PM by Laroy »

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 08:07:04 PM »
I am a Millennial, and I think the Spirit of 76 project is AMAZING. My generation is getting to the age where we're settling down, building families, and are very big on conservation. I read the entire 100+ page proposal for Spirit of 76, and the balance of retail, shows, and nature is wonderful. They propose several parks along the route as well as conservation areas and lookouts.

I myself am single and unlikely to have a family in future (not because of my sexual orientation, but because I am not interested in having kids of my own), but I have three young nieces, and I very much look at things from the perspective of a mother (seriously, I'm like a second mother to them; I think it sometimes annoys my sister, LOL), and I think they would get a kick out of what Branson could look like once Spirit of 76 has finished.

I like that The Little Mermaid is coming to Branson; I really do think that Broadway shows are a way to bring in the younger generations. I am of "Generation Y", but a good number of my closest friends are from "Generation Z," and we are all obsessed with musical theater and musical movies. If they brought in, say, Les Miserables with a dedicated theater, the way that Phantom has one in Las Vegas, my friends would be ALL over that. Les Mis is HUGE among my friends, as is Phantom and Into the Woods. But honestly, any Broadway would bring them in.

One of the things I like about Spirit of 76 is the transportation layout. The dedicated shuttle stops are great, and something I would use often, since I do not drive.

As for Eureka Springs, my circle of friends is also REALLY into that town. The shopping, the ghost hotel tours (we're all really into folklore), and the overall appeal to progressives and "non-traditional" people keeps us going back. I am not Christian nor heterosexual, so I am pleased that Eureka Springs overwhelmingly voted (71% for) to keep their non-discrimination ordinance; most of my friends and I would have to have stopped visiting ES any more if it had been voted down, because we all would have ended up discriminated against.

I am being open and honest about this because I feel it is a different perspective from most people here and I think it's an important perspective because I want to show that Branson and areas like it very much still appeal to progressive Millennials; it just needs to catch up a bit. It won't take much. Spirit of 76 is a great project to help clean up the image of Branson; right now, I see a lot of people viewing it as a rundown, Vegas-wannabe full of hillbillies and rednecks. I don't see it that way, but then I grew up going there, so I have a bit of a bias.

I think Spirit of 76 is amazing and I fully support this project.

If you haven't yet read the proposal, I highly recommend it. It's beautiful!

http://issuu.com/bnim/docs/branson_final_140731_print_reduced?e=1526089/9703672
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:09:22 PM by Joy »