Author Topic: Branson business, 2015.  (Read 6108 times)

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
Branson business, 2015.
« on: May 10, 2015, 08:14:09 PM »
Visited my brother in Branson this weekend. He owns a food sevice business there, and says watch people when you visit town, you will notice few are carrying shopping bags when visiting the shopping plazas, and folks are looking for the free and cheap things to do. He claims business is down. Way down. Spend some dollars when you visit, folks. The little guy is suffering, which is 2/3rds of those living there. He says the big businesses are doing all they can to cut expenses and increase profit. A tough economy out there. Rough for everyone.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Branson business, 2015.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 09:24:45 AM »
Branson is feeling the crunch.
When speaking with the motel last time I checked in they said they had been up for the year.  Also I have read that SDC is
up this year as well. It sounds to me like people want the experience but are doing it on a budget.
I have worked as a loan officer in the past, when you look at finances today consider how much your insurance and medical costs have gone up, for the middle class discretionary income is gone or severely bruised.  There is a reason Wal Mart, McDonalds, The Gap, Mattel....... all have shown same store sales drop for several consecutive quarters.
These are all extras, luxuries we spend our extra/discretionary income on. ( yes Wal Mart sells groceries as well but broaden your perspective.)
 Branson, SDC, Tanger Mall, restaurants, vacations are all discretionary income expenses'.
Not to incite a political argument but the affordable care act is killing the middle class.  Even the media is starting to admit the effects of this are widespread. If we were privy to the demographics of the SDC customer base I would bet that its heavily middle class.

Man I hope your brother has a turn around, the restaurant business is tough, I know from experience.
We should remember this when we are spending our funds around town.  I often pick the privately owned business because I know how dependent they are on every dollar.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 11:36:12 AM by mhguy77 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 12:56:24 PM »
Shopping is not the vacation activity it used to be. You can get better versions of everything for cheaper online with reviews and warranties. Even if you are one of the shrinking group who prefer the in-person experience, there's a big outlet mall in virtually every sizable metro that trumps what Branson's got - and you don't have to fight the 76 crawl for it.

And what special retail is there in Branson anyway? Tanger has some stuff, but like I said, every metro has something better at this point. The rest of the Branson strip is just crappy strip mall style development with stores that pop up and leave within a span of a year or less. The only decent, sustainable retail area is downtown+the landing. Branson's downtown is at least somewhat cozy and urban, and the Landing's attractions and mixed use will make it a lively place into the next generation. No one is driving around to strip malls on their vacation anymore, and no one wants to deal with the 76 drag crap unless they are going to a specific attraction.

Branson's numbers are up and should do well this year. I don't buy the usual lines about the economy. While the so-called "middle class" is of course still squeezed (doesn't have anything to do with ACA  ::)), a lot of money is still being spent all over the place. The businesses that are having trouble in Branson are typically cheap, cliche, and don't have any appeal. Same old story for Branson.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 05:41:09 PM by shavethewhales »

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 03:08:06 PM »
ADA
Americans with Disabilities act?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 03:15:42 PM by mhguy77 »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 03:53:17 PM »
Are you reading Affordable Care Act as ADA?  They are two different things.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 05:25:38 PM »
With so many chains and outlets in Branson now, why would anyone want to but it there at a higher tax rate?  Isn't Branson's tax about 11.5%?

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 05:43:32 PM »
Typo on my part. Point being, that's not what I would blame a for the hardships of certain Branson businesses.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 05:52:01 PM »
I could tell some nasty stories here about behind the scenes in Branson, but won't do it. I can honestly say some businesses are using cut throat tactics to wound and kill their competition, and some of the big businesses are getting freebies from entertainment venues, which they then turn around and sell to improve their bottom line. Also, as friendly as everyone appears publicly, behind closed doors a small group of power hungry sometimes strong arm the little guy to get their way. But really, none of this should surprise anyone, because it happens in every town and city around the world. Everyday.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 06:26:08 PM »
My insurance rate has skyrocketed, and my wife has had to go back to work for us to make ends meet.  I'd say the ACA, in combination with other things, has definitely contributed to my lack of expendable cash.  That's not to mention the cost to business owners who employ full-time employees...and that's not to mention businesses that have cut back on employee hours to avoid the ACA.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 06:46:01 PM »
My property taxes went up 154% without warning! 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 06:59:59 PM »
I will be honest, when my family visits SDC we never go into Branson.  It is about 3 hours to the park from Jeff City.  We get up early, drive down, close the park, drive home.  There is nothing in town that interests us enough to warrant an overnight stay.  In fact the last time we "stayed overnight in Branson" it was at the motel there just outside the park next to Dollar General in West Branson and that was for Coaster Christmas.  I know we can't be the only ones that feel this way about Branson. 
SWOOSH

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 07:04:12 PM »
We rarely go into Branson, also.  We are on the lake, on park, or walking around the Landing.  I hope Branson can pull itself out of the slump it's in. 

stang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 09:04:16 PM »
We also don't go into Branson a lot,if we go to town we go to the landing to eat.One day trips to sdc are the norm.Wish they would haved moved ww by sdc.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 09:17:13 PM »
My insurance rate has skyrocketed, and my wife has had to go back to work for us to make ends meet.  I'd say the ACA, in combination with other things, has definitely contributed to my lack of expendable cash.  That's not to mention the cost to business owners who employ full-time employees...and that's not to mention businesses that have cut back on employee hours to avoid the ACA.
The ACA (Irony in the name is overwhelming) has taken my premiums from 38 a month to $200 a month, this is through a large employer group plan. Deductibles more than doubling as well, 3 times higher premiums with 3 times less coverage.   Now I don't think this is the only reason Branson is seeing hard times, not by a long shot.   Does it make the pocketbooks tighter and make people more thrifty?........oh yea. 
I myself enjoy the whole going to Branson thing.  While I am there I make the most out of my time and try to see new things eat at new places.  I do rent a reasonably priced hotel room and don't just waste money but I think its all part of the experience.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:19:57 PM by mhguy77 »

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 10:03:43 PM »
I think Branson"s problem is of its own making. Failure to adapt to a changing demographic. Lets face it how many 10 member family  shows can survive there. The shopping is nothing you can not get elsewhere and good food is few and far between. Maybe things are changing with some Broadway style shows setting up shop, but for right now there is absolutely nothing there that interests me or my wife. Thus it is not worth the 5 hour drive just for a theme park, so we ditched season tickets the last 2 years.

Maybe with a new mayor they will try to attract businesses that are  relevant to todays audience.

Also the strip and side roads are just dirty looking. Lots of flophouse motels and empty concrete lots.