Author Topic: A Birds Eye View of Celebration City.  (Read 14894 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
A Birds Eye View of Celebration City.
« on: April 23, 2015, 06:55:54 PM »
Saw this on the 1Branson board, one of the members posted it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg3hgwUKWSk&feature=youtu.be

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
Re: A Birds Eye View of Celebration City.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 07:03:55 PM »
Pretty cool! It amazes me the high quality pictures. Despite sitting empty for years, it appears the park has been relatively well maintained.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 08:00:45 PM »
I really miss Celebration City. My kids loved it. We would do SDC during the day and then leave and do CC at night.
Colorado SDC Fan

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 09:33:03 PM »
I can't believe that carousel is sitting there uncovered in the weather.  I guess the cats are taking care of it.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 02:54:55 PM »
I thought the same thing with the carousel. It looks to be in very good shape still.
Colorado SDC Fan

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 05:14:08 PM »
My kids loved CC as well.  We used to get to Whitewater at opening and hit it hard there for 3 or 4 hours and then grab some lunch at Wendy's across the street and head to CC for the evening.  Always made for a great day!

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 08:53:41 AM »
We miss Celebration City, too. We would buy the All Park pass and go to either SDC or White Water during the day and CC at night.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 05:17:08 AM »
Never did get to go to CC.. :( Cool video tho'!!
Live life like it's the last day!

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 10:10:38 AM »
Excellent video. I saw it last week, I still see my comment there too. I didnt know you guys knew about the video. Some people say it was stupid building CC because if they didnt, we would still have what used to be there (cant remember the name) which would be something, and something to go into is better than nothing. But I think it was a much more stupid idea to close it. Lots of people I know, really liked it. It doesnt matter if they didnt make as much money as they wanted to. The park still made lots more money than most people make in a year. If they needed more, they could buy a better ride than Roaring Falls, or stop making the go karts free. I loved the go karts very much and was very greatful they were free, but if they needed the money, they could charge people to ride them (like almost every other go kart track does in America) then less people would be riding them and they could save $$$ on gas. They can always make changes to any park so they can make more money, whether it is changing rides, or adding/taking out a ride. It was a very dumb idea to close it down. I dont care if they sell it and someone buys it and does reopen it as a theme park or HFE reopens it as something else. Either way, something needs to happen to it. We need sonething there. We need more fun/entertainment in Branson, especially nightly entertainment. Something that is totally different every night. It will be good for business, make a lot of money, it will be good for Branson because it will get the economy up, get money flowing, help Branson get back on its feet, and make Branson as good as it used to be. It will get more vacationers, which is exactly what we need. Ever since CC closed, its like Branson started slipping, and its kinda starting to go down. The only thing holding Branson up is SDC as well as the shows, which help, but mainly SDC. Without SDC I dont think Branson would even be alive today, even though Branson is just barely alive...

This is just sad...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 10:18:36 AM by Laroy »

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 10:24:25 AM »
1.  I'm very sure HFE put a lot of thought into their decision to close CC and made their final decision based on many factors; only some of which are privy to the public.  They know what they are doing based on many years of success!

2.  Branson would still be alive without SDC, and they are doing far better than "barely surviving".

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 10:27:05 AM »
Not like they used to. Look around. Lots of stuff went out or closed down, some because of the tornado. Jim Stafford went out then came back, unexpectedly. I do like Jim Stafford. Im glad hes back. Hooefully he will help.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 10:52:55 AM »
It's not like Jim wanted to leave - he didn't really have a choice.

A lot of acts have left town or closed, but a lot of those acts have retired due to age.
Branson just refused to change with the times and it has caught up with them. 
SWOOSH

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 11:05:21 AM »
True. Thats also why its starting to go downhill and not as popular anymore as Vegas or other places still are. Branson still has to TRY to compete with places like Vegas. It might be hard to compete, but thats just how it is...they gotta try...

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 12:59:48 PM »
It doesnt matter if they didnt make as much money as they wanted to.

LOL. Laroy, you need to understand that that entire post is entitled nonsense. CC was created and closed based on strategic business moves that we'll never be entirely privy too. Obviously if it made them enough money though it would still be open or something new would be in its place.

As far as the drone video itself goes, I've been biting my tongue seeing some of these. There are some serious issues here with land owner's right to privacy, plus the serious security and safety concerns with some of the people who have tried to fly drones next to roller coasters. Don't get me wrong, I think personal video drones are awesome and useful, but a lot of the yahoos that are flying them around make me nervous.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2015, 01:15:36 PM »
I know what you are saying Shave...I'm surprised there is not some sort of permit requirement to fly them...there have to be some restrictions when they are flown on private property.
Colorado SDC Fan