Author Topic: A Birds Eye View of Celebration City.  (Read 15007 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: A Birds Eye View of Celebration City.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 04:09:32 PM »
It's not like Jim wanted to leave - he didn't really have a choice.

A lot of acts have left town or closed, but a lot of those acts have retired due to age.
Branson just refused to change with the times and it has caught up with them. 

This can not be said enough.

Bless Mr. Bass Pro's heart, He is trying his best with the investments south of town.

Still thinK he should add the snowflex and whitewater complex to his resort areas. I often reference the the year round snowflex facility in Lynchburg Virginia owned by Liberty University. They are expanding it.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 04:49:41 PM »
The drones, just like selfie sticks, are almost useless because you cant use them all the time, theyre a hastle to carry, and theyre only good for 1 thing. There are rules against using them. You cant fly them over anybodys property who doesnt want you to or anybody who signed that contract to keep them off their property. I heard about that on the news the other day.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 04:51:32 PM by Laroy »

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 06:49:17 PM »
I'm one of the older folks who remember the Mutton Hollow complex on the CC site, and still lament the haphazard way the corridor highway from Hwy 76 and Hwy 265 was developed. I was in Branson a week ago, and noticed my BHS classmate, whose family has owned Mutton Hollow since the 60's or early 70s, now has the other half of the hollow for sale.  I would rater see it become part of Henning State Park, but I imagine some day it will be developed. Such a shame. To those of you under 40 who don't remember what it looked like, you missed out. It was so beautiful. Look in flea markets for old post cards, someday the hollow will be filled with motels and fast food joints. All that said, I look forward to the time CC is revamped. I an sure Herschend Family Entertainment will do a good job. I enjoyed my two visits to CC.So did my family.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 07:21:28 PM »
That is...if they rebuild it or build something else, but I doubt that will happen. Theyre in no mood to do anything with it and they arent planning on it either. But I wish they would do something. Every time I go by it, I get sad and mad at the same time. I wish I could have seen Mutton Hollow...

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 07:36:09 PM »
I remember Mutton Hollow! It kinda felt like what SDC must have felt like when it was just the main street area, before the rides. We went horseback riding once there; it was so much fun!

Honestly, I think one of the many factors that led to CC getting shut down was its hours. They kept advertising it as a "night park," but it was only ever open until 10pm! With SDC open from morning to 6-7pm, it just seems like people probably thought it wouldn't be worth it to go to CC after being at SDC because there wouldn't be much time available to spend at CC.

That's where Disney has a good layout in Anaheim -- California Adventure is DIRECTLY across from Disneyland, so people can go back and forth between the parks. Same with Universal Studios & Islands of Adventure in Orlando. Heck, even, to some degree, Magic Kingdom and Epcot; they aren't next to each other, but it's a quick ride on the monorail to get back and forth. And you can pretty much walk from Epcot to Hollywood Studios (wellll... it's a bit of a walk; but you can easily grab a park bus from one of the resorts right next to Epcot, and it'd take little time to get to DHS).

CC was just located way too far from SDC. And honestly, I feel like White Water is a bit too far from SDC, too. They need everything in a closer vicinity to each other... I know, though, that the terrain makes that hard. Maybe move White Water to the CC land and build some kind of transportation connection between it and SDC.

They also need some kind of shuttle-only dedicated road from the Wilderness Campground to SDC; right now, the shuttle has to go all the way up 265 to 76 and over to Indian Point Road in order to get to the park. They need a road that goes straight west; I'd certainly be more interested in staying at the Wilderness if the shuttle didn't have such a long way to go to get to the park. As it is right now, I prefer Deer Run because you can walk to the nearest SDC parking lot and catch the tram.

And... now I'm done. I've gone a bit too far off topic. OOPS.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 07:41:28 PM by Joy »

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 07:42:06 PM »
None of us know that they aren't planning anything with it.  Just because they haven't come out and said anything doesn't mean there is nothing on the drawing board.  They have kept up with maintenance of the cc site.  It likely won't be soon, but eventually there will be something on that site, herschend owned or not. 

I remember mutton hollow!  I do wish there was something like that.  My kids would love it. 

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 07:42:41 PM »
Joy, you are perfectly on topic and you are absolutely right. They do need all of that, but if WW does move, what would go in WW? I feel like nobody is thinking about that....

Also, the cost to move all the towers, slides, theming stuff like rocks, and water pipes would be so high. Almost over the moon.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 07:52:06 PM »
I highly doubt anything will show up there. SDC wants to stay the only park in Branson. They want to make it hard for anybody else to even try to build another theme park related place anywhere near there. They dont want "competition". But sometimes competition is a good thing. Besides, every other place and store/restaurant has competition. You cant fully keep it away. There is no use in keeping CC free of anything for us to do. I feel like SDC is just wanting to be a#%&$*@s by doing this. They dont want any of us to have fun in the CC area anytime soon. If they were even thinking about doing something, I think we would hear something about it, even though we will need to keep a close eye on not just SDC but other areas around Branson too. SDC could be planning anything, anywhere, at any time. The next attraction might not be in the park, Im thinking....
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 07:53:29 PM by Laroy »

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2015, 08:28:39 PM »
CC wasn't competition; it was owned by the same company as SDC. What they needed to do was to keep CC open later at night; 10pm was just not late enough for the "night time park" that they were advertising it as. Keep it open 'til 12 or 1am; that gives people who were at SDC time to rest and then go to CC and have enough time to enjoy CC before it closes.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 09:00:49 PM »
Yes I know HFE owned both. What I meant is they are keeping security in CC and wont sell it because theyre afraid of a little competition, if someone else bought it, or if Mutton Hollow was still there. They probably saw it as competition....

Not late enough? I never heard of a park being open that late. I thought 10 PM was late enough for a night time park because thats when most people wanna go to sleep. 12 PM or 1 AM might be a little late, even for a night park....As long as they didnt close at 7 PM, I considered it a night park, even though I was mad I had to leave at that time....
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 09:04:55 PM by Laroy »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2015, 10:24:44 PM »
I think the main issue with CC was that it wasn't "special enough" to be a companion park to SDC.  The park reeked of carnival with light themeing.  Oh sure, the main midway was beautiful (and still is judging by the pictures) but the rest of the park was odd ride choices that really did not fit the SDC-style mold.  Other than Wildcat and the Laser Light Show, the park was very forgettable at best.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 10:25:19 AM »
Exactly, Swoosh.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 04:25:51 PM »
CC always hit me as a upscale carnival. After my first visit I probably would have never went back if it wasn"t for Ozcat. I still think it would be a great place for a mixed use development with nightclubs, micro brewery's and a bowling complex anchored by a aquarium. Then use the terrain to have a small ski slope in the winter and ice skating rink.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 04:37:16 PM »
Maybe, but nightclubs and beer dont fit under "Good, Clean, Fun", which is what Branson is suppost to be. Branson is suppost to be a clean, family-friendly town.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 04:48:01 PM »
umn... not to be the devil's advocate, but there are MORE bars and clubs, than churches, already in Branson. Not to mention all the many restaurants including Olive Garden, that serve alcohol. Branson is no different than any other city
RIP Chippewa Lake Park