Author Topic: Your Ideas For White Water  (Read 18732 times)

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
Your Ideas For White Water
« on: April 18, 2015, 08:12:36 PM »
We have a thread for attraction ideas at SDC, so I thought why not have this thread for White Water also. Also, we haven't done any White Water discussions since August 2014.

Post any ideas you have for rides or other developments that you would like to see happen  at White Water. Also, you can post anything that you don't want to see happen at the park.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:16:02 PM by Tmboote »

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
Re: Your Ideas For White Water
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 08:35:50 PM »
I think the current land that White Water sits on is too small for everything that I want to see at the park. I think that what the park has currently is good,  but not good enough to keep people coming for years and years. I haven't ridden Kapau Plummet because I wasn't at WW at all last season, I liked Bermuda Triangle though.

I think WW should change some of the things that they have. Ohana Falls is short compared to most family slides and I would love to see them make the slide longer. The waves in the wave pool are weak and I would like to see them make them higher. The Lazy River and their other slides (I don't have an opinion on Kapau Plummet) are fine.

As for new things, I would like a pool for just swimming and relaxing without the waves or current and maybe a kayaking/canoeing pool like Oceans of Fun has. (I understand they don't currently have enough room for these things.)

Things they shouldn't do: pools with swim-up bars like some parks have and going away from the theme of WW, even though it isn't as big of a deal as SDC's theming, it is still important.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 10:11:26 PM »
I agree the current WW land is not sufficient for growth. Rebuild entirely at the old CC site. Look at most of the world class parks going in and model after them. Blizzard beach's speed slides with the wave river concept from Schlit. They could also use some of the old CC site for winter ice skating and snow skiing venues.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 11:02:28 PM »
Of course, this is just me, but I would re-theme the whole thing.  The tropical thing is so overdone.  Disney has proven they can take the most challenging of stories and make a good theme out of it.  How about mining with slides that plummet through mine shafts and watercoasters that explode upward?  How about local fishing and outdoor theme with aquaria and terraria mixed throughout?  How about a swimming hole theme?  Surely we can come up with something better than a tropical beach.  It needs to be one-of-a-kind if it wants to attract a crowd.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 09:05:43 AM »
The slogan for WW in 1980 was "all the fun of the old swimming hole."  Initally WW had a rustic look, with most flume and pool surfaves painted brown, and buildings with board and batten siding and rusty tin rooflines. The mascot for WW that year was a beaver named Wally Whitewater. So they did an Ozark theme for the first few years they were open. The beach within reach theme came later.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 12:08:53 PM »
Personally, I don't think people go to a water park for the theme. I go for the slides and other things the park has like a wave pool and lazy river. But, since the sign says "Silver Dollar City's White Water,'" I think the theme is still important.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 01:15:16 PM »
It's just that theme makes it unique.  The slides at all of these parks are virtually the same, with only a few stand-outs.  If theme didn't matter, Disney would not have Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach.  Aquatica uniquely intersperses aquaria, including dolphins, throughout its waterparks.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Hollwood

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 01:36:21 PM »
I know everyone wants bigger and better but I personally like WW the way it is. I honestly think the ride rotation they have had over the last 10 years is the best approach to keeping costs low while offering variations of the newest products. The size of the park fits Branson and attracts the demographic that the company wants... When you get big you lose the safe feeling that the current location has. Personally I would like to see WW enclosed and turned into a year around attraction... Then it would not be affected by weather which is the main reason for the parks low attendance the past couple of years.

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 02:12:40 PM »
^^ I think the theme would be lost if the park was enclosed because you can't really have an indoor beach. Also, I don't know if it would be worth the money it would take to build a building of that size, pay the heat/air bills for a building that size, and to pay workers for a full year instead of just 4 months.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 07:17:29 PM »
^^ I think the theme would be lost if the park was enclosed because you can't really have an indoor beach. Also, I don't know if it would be worth the money it would take to build a building of that size, pay the heat/air bills for a building that size, and to pay workers for a full year instead of just 4 months.

You seen the room rates for a great wolf around Christmas and Spring Break? Woof!

I have a family with two tweens. I've had  season passes to,SDC 4 of the last five years. We've been to Whitewater once and none the past three years. In that time period they've been to two Schlitterbahns,  two Great Wolfs, Crystal Springs/Magic Springs, the Six Flags waterpark in Arlington , Worlds of Fun and  Typhoon Lagoon at Mouse World. I can say that my kids love water coasters and are fanatic with Schlitterbahns  wave rivers. They love the rapid rivers at Schlitterbahns an as well. They show no interest in Whiterwater like they do SDC.  We are less than two hours from Whitewater. It's the closest non muni park to us and it's an afterthought In our planning.  Who said they have kept up with modern thrills. I'm going to pull out my Dark Knight Joker and ask not sure if serious? I ain't taking the time to go over what WW lacks.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 07:31:19 PM »
This is but an example of new parks out there that put lots of punch in a small space

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 07:53:33 PM »

You seen the room rates for a great wolf around Christmas and Spring Break? Woof!

I guess it would be a different story if they built a hotel/resort to go with it, but that's another expense and another thing that there wouldn't be room for. I feel all these problems could be solved by moving WW to unused land at SDC and adding a hotel there so people can avoid Branson if they want to, maybe move SBB to Indian Point while there at it too.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 09:07:52 PM »
When you look At WW from Google Earth, you see how much room has been underutilized,  wasted, whatever you wanted to call with single slides and whatever instead of multislide  complexes,  the newest one is another perfect example of this, instead of two or three. They underwhelm at every turn.

That northern most area would hold this easy
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:11:32 PM by chittlins »

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 09:29:57 PM »
I never noticed the empty space until you said that, Chittlins. In this image you see the red area is where Bermuda Triangle used to be. I am wondering if they really had to take that out to put Kapau Plummet in. It looks like they could've found a way to fit it in. Maybe they took out BT with plans to reuse the land for better things soon.

I don't get why Ohana Falls is so short when they have the whole blue area they could've used to build the slide. Ohana Falls is definitely a family slide.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 10:06:54 PM »
I never noticed the empty space until you said that, Chittlins. In this image you see the red area is where Bermuda Triangle used to be. I am wondering if they really had to take that out to put Kapau Plummet in. It looks like they could've found a way to fit it in. Maybe they took out BT with plans to reuse the land for better things soon.

I don't get why Ohana Falls is so short when they have the whole blue area they could've used to build the slide. Ohana Falls is definitely a family slide.

Yes, the blue area is a giant waste of space when it could have held more