Author Topic: FITH Turns 35  (Read 6717 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
FITH Turns 35
« on: August 13, 2007, 11:25:27 PM »
Fire In The Hole turns 35 this year. As SDC's first coaster (or is it?), this was the one that started it all.

I remember the first time I rode this thing, I was just a kid, and it scared me out of my wits. I came back a couple of years later and my parents had to pull me off of it.

Anyone have any special memories of it? Or better yet, info of how the ride has changed over the years?

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: FITH Turns 35
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 12:55:41 AM »
Happy Birthday, Fire in the Hole!

The only thing I can recall of changes made over the years was that when you're coming up to the burning bridge, they used to have a contraption that made it look as though the ceiling of the bridge was collapsing, just as you are pulled into the drop.... That isn't there anymore.

You know, interestingly enough, I THINK there was a reference to FitH in an episode of Emperor's New School.... I was watching an episode late the other night, and the characters go to some theme park that's based around a historical ancient Mayan ruins... At one point, one of the characters says they want to ride "Fireants in the Hole".

Now, that show has a tendency to do parodies of real-life things and other stuff (one episode title was "Prisoner of Kuzcoban", about a man wrongly imprisoned... ring any bells?), and I don't think there's any other well-known rides out there with the name "Fire in the Hole", so I really had to wonder if perhaps they were taking off of SDC's ride for that name.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 02:05:35 PM »
What a great ride. I remember riding this when I was little and it would scare me to death. I love this ride to death now though. It is a great SDC classic and I hope it never leaves.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 03:26:40 PM »
In case anyone doesn't check the front page, I've posted a small article about FiTH's birthday.

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 04:41:18 PM »
"The only thing I can recall of changes made over the years was that when you're coming up to the burning bridge, they used to have a contraption that made it look as though the ceiling of the bridge was collapsing, just as you are pulled into the drop.... That isn't there anymore."

The ride was actualy shortened when the burning bridge went in. A loop of track that went through the baldknobbers caves (and you were shot at)was bypassed to increase capacity per hour and was admitidly rather dull.
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

Old Guy

• Citizen
  • The Author as a Boy
    • View Profile
    • Withe and Stone
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 04:17:16 PM »
Just found the theme song to FITH on a youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcNue-mbp88
according to the comments It was supplied by the SDC publicity  Dep.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 04:20:41 PM by Old Guy »
"Loved on Four Contenents!"

sdcforever

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 04:43:31 PM »
^That's a great find, Old Guy!  That music brings back a lot of good memories!  :)  I've read some of the history of the Baldknobbers and, in my mind, most of those groups are more supervillians than superheroes.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 04:51:44 PM »
Very nice.  Love it.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 09:53:22 AM »
Cool! Thanks Old Guy.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 12:40:09 AM »
This is TNT's 15th FYI.  Are you planning on doing a segment for it like you did for FitH?
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
^Aw crap, I forgot about that. What was the actual opening day for TNT? If I've already missed it, I'll just do something when I get around to it.

sdcforever

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 04:37:53 PM »
^Aw crap, I forgot about that. What was the actual opening day for TNT? If I've already missed it, I'll just do something when I get around to it.

You already missed it.  April 10, 1993.

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 09:03:12 AM »
^I'm not even two months older than TNT. ??? It's really hard to believe but Wildfire is almost ten years old. Just a few more years.