Author Topic: SDC Memories  (Read 20389 times)

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC Memories
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2015, 05:41:29 AM »
It seems that SDC has basically become a tribute to "what could have been" based on the plat map that was created for the mining town, rather than what Marmaros actually was. Could it be possible that maybe some of the oral traditions are getting the old and new Marmaros's mixed up? 'Cause wasn't a new Marmaros built to the west of Kimberling City after the old one was burned?

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2015, 02:37:24 PM »
I have a 1918 map showing the town right on the White River, verifying that I've been told the original location is under the lake.  The only hotel on site was located about where Aunt Pollie's and Crossroads sits. It was torn down late 60's, early 70's?
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

DGriff1970

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2015, 01:22:31 AM »
Took a ride on the train a few days ago and not sure if its my age, but the Train Robbery is just no fun for the kids anymore.  As a kid, the robbers were dressed so Hillbilly and had real looking guns and sounds and made you actually think we were getting robbed.  It seemed pressed to get over and just not what I had remembered. 

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2015, 03:35:47 PM »
Dgriff, nothing changed, you just grew up, lol!
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2015, 05:12:26 PM »
^The cap guns really don't have the umph of a real gun shooting blanks, though.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2015, 03:00:11 PM »
Don't have a lot of details to this story/memory but thought some would find it funny.

I have very vivid but vague memories of my parents taking me to SDC with I was very young. I would have been in the mid-80's and I was probable only 5-6 years old.  In fact I did even realized that these memories where from SDC till I visited again in my mid- 20's.  Some even came back that I didn't realize I still remembered :)

Basically....SDC really really scared the heck out of me......(I was a pretty chicken kid)

Diving Bell - I don't remember what it looked like from the outside.  Just remember being in a weird place and I picked up enough of the story line that I did really think that we where underwater and in trouble.  I don't think my parents every really explained that it was just for fun and confused the heck out of me.

Saloon Show....I remember it being loud and crowded.  The bad guy and his gun scared me.  My Dad got pick to go on stage and I thought the bad guy was going to get him.  I didn't understand why he and my mom where so 'relaxed' and laughing.  I really just wanted to leave.  (this memory came back to me at the show the first time back)

Train - Seriously!!!!  bad guys robbing the train (I don't think I ever caught my parent cues that it was in fun).  In my later years I'd assume this was from WoF.

Flooded Mine - I'll need some help with this one....but didn't the flooded mine have a more 'scary' theme before the guns?  I'm 99% sure was in tears scared to death through most of the ride when I rode it at 5-6.  I remember things like skulls with lights for eyes and vividly remember a giant saw above the boat the used to move down like it was going to get you.  While riding it again when I was 20 I had to put my gun down and started to freak out with memories.  That was really when I realized I had been here done this before:)

Add to that I remember my Dad teasing me about going to the SDC jail (probably cause I just had freaked on everything else).

BTW....I also vaguely remember the balloon ride, Treehouse, and cave restaurant without the terrifying moments:)

Now days I'm a big amusement park fan and love SDCs classic rides....I wish I could remember FiTH (not sure if we rode it).  My own little ones are a little chicken too but its been fun to take them on the same rides and watch them experience it all:) 

In fact one of my proudest little parenting moments was when my oldest was 4 and wanted to go on FiTH to be a 'big kid'.  She seemed very emotional through the whole ride and had a death grip on my arm that was over her lap.  She was quiet from the end of the ride to the exit door....I thought I was going to be dealing with a little me and have to face a wife who didn't approve....but before the end of the exit ramp she started screaming "THAT WAS GREAT....LETS DO IT AGAIN!!!!"
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2015, 03:19:17 PM »
Flooded Mine added some features when they changed it to a shooting gallery.  It was better before, but it wasn't any scarier.  The elements you're talking about were easier to see - the saw blade, etc.  You might be confused with American Plunge/Float Trip, as there were some skulls in the cave/tunnel.  I know my rememberies get confused with those two rides and Fire-in-the-Hole.  I was scared of any of the rides that had cave walls in the dark.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2015, 03:37:51 PM »
^^
Actually FM had some singing head holograms back in that time frame. Maybe that was it. Also in the 70's Fm had a guy that was sitting on the last corner who everyone thought was a animitronic and when you passed he would jump and scare you. This might have been before your time though. Another thing you might be remembering was the Hanging man in the last tower that was there after they did away with the rockfall strobe light effect. Flooded mine sure was good before the shooting gallery concept came along.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2015, 03:40:27 PM »
That might be it.....the skulls where on some type of float trip?  I really remember having to float by skull head with the bright jewels as eyes.  I'd probably had just seen Indiana Jones too:)

Like I said....I've just got a few vivid visuals and memory's of mostly of the scary stuff:)  I'm pretty sure it was the first amusement park visit I'd had.    

I think my parents just assumed I'd pick up on some of that stuff.....or maybe they did try to calm me down and explain things but my sheltered and 'imaginative' mind was going full speed that day:)  I had no idea what I had got into.  

It's actually kind of shocking that they even took me to an amusement park...they only took me to WoF after years of asking later in my young life....but I'm sure in between the rides at SDC we where listening to some bluegrass which probably got them there to begin with:)

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2015, 08:46:20 PM »
Flooded Mine scared me when I was little also. The last room used to look like fireworks over your head or something like that. I was always terrified they were going to fall down and hit me.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2015, 08:58:56 PM »
There have been a number of shaft room scenes:

1.  Dozens of rocks fall from the top to a net just overhead (I always wondered how that was reset for each oar cart.)
2.  Stupid phantoms shooting lasers (Way out of place!)
3.  Fireworks (Weird location for this.)
4.  Escaping prisoners while the guard sleeps (Simple, but a pretty good ending room.)

Any others?

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2015, 08:34:53 AM »
There have been a number of shaft room scenes:

1.  Dozens of rocks fall from the top to a net just overhead (I always wondered how that was reset for each oar cart.)
2.  Stupid phantoms shooting lasers (Way out of place!)
3.  Fireworks (Weird location for this.)
4.  Escaping prisoners while the guard sleeps (Simple, but a pretty good ending room.)

Any others?

The phantoms is the scene that I remember most, it never scared me, but I always remember looking up and thinking 'that's weird.'
I guess it was suppose to represent inmates that didn't make it out of the flood???  ???
You have a great past just ahead of you.

OutlawRun

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2015, 09:51:09 AM »
I also vividly remember the "walk of shame"...  being led back through the line by my Mom because I was absolutely terrified of the Flooded Mine.  This would have been in the late 70s.  I also remember my older brother tormenting me the rest of the day because I was too "chicken" to ride it!   :)
You have a great past ahead of you!

OutlawRun

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2015, 10:13:10 AM »
Another memory permanently burned into my brain out of sheer terror...

I was around 8, so this would have been in the late 70s.  This occurred in the vicinity of the train trestle near the Saloon.  I had gotten separated from my family, so I approached an employee/character and told him that I was lost.  So what does he do?  He shoots his gun up in the air twice and yells, "Does anyone know this boy?  He's done lost his family.  If you know him, come and get him!".  Well that didn't help me much!  Then he said he would stay with me until my parents came back to find me.

I doubt if that is the current protocol for handling a lost child, but to be honest I'm glad that was the way he did it.  It makes for a great memory and a fun story to tell my girls.   :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:35:08 AM by OutlawRun »
You have a great past ahead of you!

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2015, 10:48:57 AM »
Another memory permanently burned into my brain out of sheer terror...

I was around 8, so this would have been in the late 70s.  This occurred in the vicinity of the train trestle near the Saloon.  I had gotten separated from my family, so I approached an employee/character and told him that I was lost.  So what does he do?  He shoots his gun up in the air twice and yells, "Does anyone know this boy?  He's done lost his family.  If you know him, come and get him!".  Well that didn't help me much!  Then he said he would stay with me until my parents came back to find me.

I doubt if that is the current protocol for handling a lost child, but to be honest I'm glad that was the way he did it.  It makes for a great memory and a fun story to tell my girls.   :)

That's amazing.  And terrifying.  But Amazing.  Oh, I long for the days when the nation was a little less uptight and a lot less litigous.  Those spontaneous moments are what built the City!