Author Topic: SDC Memories  (Read 20523 times)

tomservo6

• View Profile
SDC Memories
« on: April 04, 2015, 08:59:23 PM »
I just came across this site and, wow, it brings back some memories. Ironically, I found it on my phone today while waiting in line for the balloons in the new Fireman's Hollow area.

My family had season passes for over a decade starting in the late 70's. We visited SDC just about every weekend from Springfield. Most of the employees knew me by name. I literally grew up at SDC and knew it like my own backyard. I even proposed to my wife in the chapel. The sheriff came and kidnapped her, took her in there. I came in shortly after with a ring. It worked.

My first distinct memory of SDC, and in life really, were the moonshine pigs on the float trip. I'm surprised I remember that if it ended in 1980, making me four at the time. Although I also distinctly remember the Plunge opening and watching my older sister ride.

I didn't get up the nerve to ride Fire in the Hole until I was 9-10. That must have been after the broken track scene was taken down because I don't remember that. I did ride it 23 times in a row on a rainy Friday in the late 80's when we were practically the only ones in the park. The workers urged me on to break the record of 22 set by "Pappie" someone-or-other back in 1882.

Favorite places to eat - Mine restaurant (still is, cold pink lemonade in the tin cups, rising table) and Big Jack sandwich (I will miss you). Makes me remember the old star cave in the treehouse. Wow, just remembered the cave-in scene in the flooded mine, too.

When I saw several of the photos posted on this site of the Diving Bell, deju vu hit me hard. I remember rushing and pushing my way to the front center as a kid so we could crank the handles to fix the leaks caused by the rock collision and the dynamite.

And then there was that show in the theater across the street. It was the one in the haunted house. My favorite was the gag where the actor dropped the candle, extinguishing it, and then still "lit" up the upstairs room, causing him to break the fourth wall and laugh. Still funny the hundredth time. And the disappearing kids in the fireplace and under the tablecloth. And the talking bust who you could shake hands with upon exiting. Good times.

I'd be thrilled to go backstage and see a lot of the old ride props, the video from the diving bell screen, etc. if any of that still exists.

My six-year-old just barely got to the minimum height for the larger rides. Today was his first time riding Outlaw Run (in the front row), the Electrospin, and the Barn Swings. I tried showing him some pictures and stories of the old rides but he didn't seem too impressed. Here's hoping for some great SDC memories for him.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: SDC Memories
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 10:45:39 PM »
Welcome Tomservo6
Colorado SDC Fan

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 06:58:41 AM »
Thanks for sharing your Memories! Welcome to this site!!
Live life like it's the last day!

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 09:29:58 AM »
Sounds like your family was coming to the park during the time I worked there. Who knows, maybe I was your pilot at the diving bell a few times, or maybe I was the River Rat at the float trip who loaded your family in a boat! Welcome to the site.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 09:59:27 AM »
There was nothing as fun as the Diving Bell (*sniff*), and the lemonade in tin cups?  That was good...and the wedge of cheese, big pickle, family style bbq meals, and the dessert tray!  Bring it all back!

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 09:02:24 AM »
Thanks for sharing your memories with us, and welcome to the site!

The haunted house theatre sounds interesting, I think that is the 1st I have heard about that one, was it in the Riverfront Playhouse (former Courthouse Theatre) ?
You have a great past just ahead of you.

tomservo6

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 01:20:59 PM »
Yes, the theater directly across from Lost River. It probably was in the mid to late 80's. It ran for several years from what I remember.

W.P. Warburton

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • "It's a Rockslide....Look Out Below!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 02:09:32 PM »
Have so many fond memories of SDC past and present, Jim Owens float trip was probably my first major theme park ride and I have been a white river Jim Owen river rat fan ever since, so many classic gags in that ride it was like a mini Disney right here close to home theming was excellent, I will stand by the WF queue just to catch a glimpse at the old channels, also, FITH I remember being so frightened the first time I rode it! Back when it was brand new all the scenes intact a very different experience back then, but don't get me wrong it still holds the magic even for my 8 and 9 year old daughters I catch them calling out lines such as Red Flanders, and trying to get the whole train clapping in the dark scenes where the theme song is prominent, I do think getting the steam back on the train drop would be easy fix and very effective. I also recall a stage coach ride where they took you around wooded area and I do believe there was an animatronic rock that spoke to you at some point, and don't even get me started on the diving bell what a classic ride very well done and the actors really made the voyage to the bottom of lake silver convincing my children still wish they could have experienced it due to the amount I have told them about it. FM was also very different ride in it's prime, I miss the projected faces if I remember correctly two of them were Don Knotts and Tim Conway, the rock-slide was also a very good effect, and the "I'm gettin' outta here no matter what" scene, used to be very climatic compared to what it is today, the addition of the saw and the cannon boat were also well done, I would always make my sister sit on the side the blade came closest too, lol. I notice in recent years the inmate on the rock outside that said "They'll tell the warden if we don't strike 'em...FIRE" is missing, there also used to be several other water cannons in the pond you never knew where the supposed cannonball was going to splash. I still love the SDC of today, they must keep the classics alive or at least reinvent them with same detail that was done in the early days. Rant over, thanks for listening.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 05:29:31 PM by W.P. Warburton »

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 04:41:40 PM »
Good post. I too wish the cannon sequence of FM was brought back.  The old rides need a little love without getting rid of the charm.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 05:43:40 PM »
The haunted house was the set for "The Hatfield Haint" talked about in this thread, along with some other great shows I wish they'd bring back: http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=139.0
I'm Your Huckleberry

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 09:09:50 AM »
The haunted house was the set for "The Hatfield Haint" talked about in this thread, along with some other great shows I wish they'd bring back: http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=139.0

I thought that's what it was, but didn't want to say anything unless I was sure.  Thanks for sharing!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 06:31:31 PM »
welcome to the site!  Enjoy!

tomservo6

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 09:37:57 AM »
Does anyone know if any of the old set pieces or props for the older attractions still exist, maybe in storage or somewhere? Things like the diving bell set itself, the small sub that was in the lake, the video played on the screen in the diving bell, props from the float trip, etc. Or were all of these things dismantled or destroyed? If they're still stored somewhere at SDC, I'd like to see about getting a glimpse at them.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 04:13:59 PM »
I think you can peruse the boards here for more for some of your answers.  Most of the old stuff was put into landfills, with no thoughts about posterity.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 04:35:16 PM »
Most of the stuff from the old attractions was thrown out. As a former employee, I salvaged a few items when the float trip and diving bell were dismantled, but not much. I worked at both locations and held on to a few minor pieces because I am sentimental. I have seen some old signs in the last 3 years sold at a few flea markets and antique stores, but have no idea how they made it out of the park. Judging from condition, they were likely thrown out and somone picked them up and saved them. A former park insider who used to be on the threads here and worked closely with Jack and Pete stated they are not sentimental, and when something has outlived it's usefulness it generally is thrown out. Much company history has been lost this way.Every year the costume department usually has a sale in a public location to sell clothing that is no longer used by employees, they advertise the event in local press.  Rumor has it that a diving bell capsule in in storage, but I don't know if that is true because it would take a lot of space up. Apparently the company has a graveyard were they throw a lot of stuff like old billboards, and even the balloon ride was in a backlot area for years before refurbishment and being put into Fireman's Landing. During my  employment years I remember frequently passing a gully in a backlot area full of cast off pieces like a full dummy in convict clothes pulled from Flooded Mine, old lanterns, signs, and atmosphere pieces that spent too many winters outside and were rotted, so everything was dumped. A collector today would love to have some of that stuff...I know I would, but no place to store or display it. All that stuff was left out in the elements, so, if not maintained, would go to rot pretty fast. Hope that this helps you out.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:53:12 PM by Junior, too! »
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"