Author Topic: Things That Should Never Be Done at Silver Dollar City  (Read 33307 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Things That Should Never Be Done at Silver Dollar City
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2015, 05:43:37 PM »
Caricature is definitely the right word.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Hollwood

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2015, 07:17:36 PM »
The ferris wheel and bumper cars chittlins posted are, in my opinion, cheap and trashy and are almost a caricature of the themeing of SDC and should not be brought to SDC.  If you must, bury it deep in the GE where I won't have to worry about seeing it

Just like Dollywood did... I bet most of you did not even know Dollywood had Bumper Cars!

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2015, 09:42:08 PM »
The ferris wheel and bumper cars chittlins posted are, in my opinion, cheap and trashy and are almost a caricature of the themeing of SDC and should not be brought to SDC.  If you must, bury it deep in the GE where I won't have to worry about seeing it

Just like Dollywood did... I bet most of you did not even know Dollywood had Bumper Cars!

Yes Dollywood does have bumber cars but, Dollywood really does not have a central theme. It is becoming more Disneyisque. A central park made up of themed lands. I have been there several times and never felt like I was in a park themed toward 1 focus.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2015, 05:45:46 PM »
Who cares about Dollywood? This forum is about SDC, which is the only park I've ever been to that warrants my repeated business because of the 1880s Ozarks theme.  What will bring me back to SDC is not a bunch of cartoonish ferris wheels and animal bumper cars, but rather the absenceof them.  If you want to ride those rides, I guess you could go to Dollywood.  If you want something unique and different that is larger than stupid carnival rides, go to SDC.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2015, 09:12:53 PM »
  If you want to ride those rides, I guess you could go to Dollywood.  If you want something unique and different that is larger than stupid carnival rides, go to SDC.
[/quote]
Preacher Bill...I think you should tell us how you really feel :) Just joshing you...I agree completely.
Colorado SDC Fan

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2015, 07:46:54 AM »
  If you want to ride those rides, I guess you could go to Dollywood.  If you want something unique and different that is larger than stupid carnival rides, go to SDC.
Preacher Bill...I think you should tell us how you really feel :) Just joshing you...I agree completely.
[/quote]

Where is the "thumbs up" icon?    or the "like" button..   lol

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2015, 08:13:31 AM »
Who cares about Dollywood? This forum is about SDC, which is the only park I've ever been to that warrants my repeated business because of the 1880s Ozarks theme.  What will bring me back to SDC is not a bunch of cartoonish ferris wheels and animal bumper cars, but rather the absenceof them.  If you want to ride those rides, I guess you could go to Dollywood.  If you want something unique and different that is larger than stupid carnival rides, go to SDC.

I guess you want it to go out of business cause without the additions you abhor that's what it would be.

You bitch about carnaval rides all you want, close down  GE and the newer rides and watch attendance plummet. You will have the place all to yourself, all ten of you.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2015, 01:50:05 PM »

I guess you want it to go out of business cause without the additions you abhor that's what it would be.

You bitch about carnaval rides all you want, close down  GE and the newer rides and watch attendance plummet. You will have the place all to yourself, all ten of you.

I enjoy how you lump carnival rides with the newer rides..like say, Powderkeg or Outlaw Run?  Because that's not the same thing.  To think that SDC would close if we didn't have the ladybugs or frogs and carnival games or whatever is over there, or to think it will close if we don't get some tacky wagon ferris wheel is simply absurd.  Stop it.

"Look kids!  Bumper cars that look like animals!  Guess we'll get those season passes this year!" will never be said by anyone, ever.

Try to twist it all you want, but I stand by what I said.  Silver Dollar City is bigger and better than cheap tacky carnival rides and needs to stay that way.  Let Dollywood and whatever other parks you constantly talk about (On the SDC forum... ::)) have cheap fillers...they need to because they will never have the type of park and atmosphere SDC has created.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2015, 02:59:59 PM »

I enjoy how you lump carnival rides with the newer rides..like say, Powderkeg or Outlaw Run?  Because that's not the same thing.  To think that SDC would close if we didn't have the ladybugs or frogs and carnival games or whatever is over there, or to think it will close if we don't get some tacky wagon ferris wheel is simply absurd.  Stop it.

"Look kids!  Bumper cars that look like animals!  Guess we'll get those season passes this year!" will never be said by anyone, ever.

Try to twist it all you want, but I stand by what I said.  Silver Dollar City is bigger and better than cheap tacky carnival rides and needs to stay that way.  Let Dollywood and whatever other parks you constantly talk about (On the SDC forum... ::)) have cheap fillers...they need to because they will never have the type of park and atmosphere SDC has created.

You don't add filler between the big stuff these days and you will lose season ticket sales, there's just too much competing for a family's dollar. I guarantee you that the Midwest Living Cooking House thing hasn't contributed much to the bottom line.but GE has in spades but you keep living in fantasyland if you think the park is is going to have some epiphany and change course on things like GE and Fireman's Landing and not build or redo similar areas in the future. So, pitch your temper tantrum over Carnival rides and I'll just predict you haven't seen the last of them. So et's hope they get themed up the best as possible. Wanna wager that you haven't seen the last of Carnival rides in theme park clothes?

stang

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2015, 03:23:33 PM »
I have to say GE may not fit totally but it sure keep my daughter going to SDC when she was younger.She still goes and rides the teacups.I would be happy with a ferris wheel and bumper type cars if they fit the theming some how,still miss going to CC to ride them.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2015, 03:37:52 PM »
I have to say GE may not fit totally but it sure keep my daughter going to SDC when she was younger.She still goes and rides the teacups.I would be happy with a ferris wheel and bumper type cars if they fit the theming some how,still miss going to CC to ride them.

Exactly my point.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2015, 03:43:06 PM »
Chittlins, 5 thumbs up! 👍👍👍👍👍

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2015, 08:03:16 PM »
Don't be so defensive Chittlins. You're starting to throw straw-mans. You've posted a lot of ideas over the past few years, and some are hits and some are misses with the crowd on here at large. I feel like we're rehashing the same little arguments over and over again, even after we've all mostly agreed on the "big picture". Let's just let this one go and agree that we all appreciate it when SDC puts a lot of effort into making the new rides and areas special - something they've virtually always accomplished.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2015, 08:39:58 AM »

You don't add filler between the big stuff these days and you will lose season ticket sales, there's just too much competing for a family's dollar. I guarantee you that the Midwest Living Cooking House thing hasn't contributed much to the bottom line.but GE has in spades but you keep living in fantasyland if you think the park is is going to have some epiphany and change course on things like GE and Fireman's Landing and not build or redo similar areas in the future. So, pitch your temper tantrum over Carnival rides and I'll just predict you haven't seen the last of them. So et's hope they get themed up the best as possible. Wanna wager that you haven't seen the last of Carnival rides in theme park clothes?

Again, lumping things together that we aren't talking about.  I never said anything about Fireman's Landing (I haven't even seen it yet).  And I'd love it if they re-did a few things, including a re-vamp of the American Plunge.  My main argument still holds water: Stupid carnival rides and bumper cars have no place in SDC.  If you think I'm the one throwing a temper tantrum I think you need to look in the mirror, mr. "b word".
As far as kids go, there was plenty to bring kids back for years and years already.  The GE was poorly done, it doesn't even feel like the Ozarks let alone SDC.  Wonder how all those kids managed to make memories and keep coming back before the frog ride and booth games????????
No, I won't take that bet because you're right, there will be more carnival rides at SDC because that's the direction we seem to be heading.  SDC will keep cheaping it up with tacky rides and carnival games to get an extra buck and will continue to lose it's lust and aura and will just be another trashy theme park with no soul.  Hopefully that's a long ways off.  There's a big difference between knowing it will happen and wanting it to happen.
Hopefully if they do a Ferris wheel it's nothing like the garbage you posted, but is more like Shave's idea (I believe it was Shave's) and is a World's Fair theme, and it would have to be HUGE.  The only way SDC should do a Ferris wheel is if it's the biggest and best one in the land.  SDC has grown past cheap rides you can find at the county fair and needs to "go big or go home" so to speak.
Anyway, I'm done arguing this so we can move on and you can go back to posting about other parks.  But I hope the PTB at SDC show a little more prudence in regards to tacky carnival rides.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:41:01 AM by Preachin_Bill »

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2015, 02:26:42 PM »
Coming to an Expo-sition near you! lol
RIP Chippewa Lake Park