Author Topic: 2015 Trip Reviews  (Read 70618 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Trip Reviews
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2015, 08:22:26 AM »
Spent the day at the park on Saturday 5/9. Got there before the opening ceremony and sampled the BBQ sauces in the tent on the square.  Rode FM -- had over 500,000 the first ride and over a million 300,000 points on the second ride -- couldn't believe it as the numbers rolled over and started again! My husband was shocked. I was shocked!

Spent the rest of the day going between music shows -- saw all 3 performances of Rhonda Vincent and the Rage at the OH and Nothin' Fancy at RP. The shows this year are staggered so that if you walk briskly, you can exit one show and get to another show before it starts. The storm came in while we were in the last show for Rhonda, and it was still pouring when we left the theater. By the time we got to the tram, we were thoroughly soaked (pants and shoes -- we had rain jackets on).

Did notice there is now a Frisco Line shop in the small building by the railroad crossing. The bookstore and the broom shop were in this building at one time.

Had frozen lemonade from the stand by the saloon and the kettle chips from the stand by the Lumber Camp.

All in all a very good day at the City!

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2015, 11:33:47 AM »
Took a trip to SDC Tuesday, May 12.  BEAUTIFUL day to be on park.  The weather was cool enough to soak up the sunshine, but warm enough to ride the water rides. 

First thing I would like to say is kudos to SDC for all of the attractions.  The park is really starting to be more than a one day visit if you want to experience most everything.  I think that is great news if they are going for the "destination" angle. 

The crowd seemed pretty large for a Tuesday in May.  I don't recall seeing any special events posted, but I may have missed it.  Some if not all of the Dugger's were there from the show, "Nineteen and Counting", but I don't think most anyone knew they were going to be there so I don't think that could have been it.  Anyway the park was crowded for a Tuesday in May, but not in anyway too crowded.  They were running two trains on many coasters and it was a great day to be there. 

My kids love the new "Fireman's Landing".  It has added a lot for them to do.  It definitely feels a lot like Celebration City in that area, but that isn't a bad thing for my family as we loved the place.  I wouldn't want it to expand and lose the "charm" and history of the rest of the park, but the kids felt like a lot of fun was crammed in one little section.  The theme music reminds me of an old "Our Gang" episode.  I kind of liked it even though is different than the rest of the park.  I agree with most in that I miss the climbing vine structure.  That took a lot of years to grow, and it looks a little bald in that area now.

The Giant Barn swing had a huge line even though it was running two arms, but that was the only ride we avoided due to lines.  The park looked great and the staff was very friendly.  The food...man it makes the park smell good.  We could smell the bbq chicken while boarding the Thunderation!  We got a ride in the Fire in the Hole, but couldn't locate "the face" everyone was talking about in another thread, but it was enjoyable paying close attention to all of the detail. 

Love the mix of old and new attractions.  I like many wish the American Plunge and the Treehouse would see some love, but the funny thing is my kids would still be going through Grandfather's Mansion a day later, if I would succumb to "just one more time".  ;D

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2015, 10:58:39 AM »
We made another Bluegrass and BBQ visit on Friday 5/22. Nice crowd but not packed. In addition to the main lots, areas 3 and 5 were used. Opera House was full but with some seats available for the first 2 shows of the Grascals (who have a new lead singer). Riverfront was about half full for the first set of Donna Ulisse and the Poor Mountain Boys. There were 2 school groups performing in the park in the morning -- a high school band (excellent) and an elementary school fiddle group.

Red Gold was packed not just with people eating but with people wanting to see Meyerband and the Willis Clan. During the first 2 sets of the Willis clan, there was a crew filming for their TV show on TLC.

The lemonade stand by the saloon was closed all day. 50% off sale was going on in the Frisco barn on t-shirts and some BBQ items.

We got there about 9 and left about 4. We missed out on the rain that came a bit later.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2015, 09:39:32 AM »
It's Monday morning, 9:30, and we're sitting in a four mile line of traffic. I sure didn't expect this thinking most families would be headed home today. That's our usual plan - wait for the weekenders to leave. So, we're going to get out of this line and head out of Dodge. The rest of the weekend was great. We went to Pea Ridge National Military Park, an awesome place  even in the rain, and Crystal Bridges museum. Wow!  I have  no words to describe how cool that was. Lakes are too swift for fly fishing, so it looks like a game of mini golf is a good option.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:41:02 AM by Gilligan »

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 25, 2015, 10:25:23 AM »
Gilligan, glad you visited the military park and Crystal Bridges, both fabulous places. I have been promoting NW Arkansas tourist sites for over 10 years, they are great, and only 2 hours out of Branson. Next time visit War Eagle Mill, Hobbs State Park, War Eagle Cavern, and Pinnacle shopping/dining area with Cabela's.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2015, 12:03:18 PM »
Cyrstal Bridges is top notch. Did you take in the Van Goghs?

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 25, 2015, 02:48:29 PM »
Today was a bit crazy!  No traffic on our way on but when we turned to Indian point, we found all of the traffic we had been missing.  Fireman's landing first.  No lines for awhile and we were able to get right on the balloons and others.  Rode the train and it was okay.  We had a hard time hearing things.  We got stuck on the first car.  Ate lunch at the lumber camp.  It was okay.  Nothing was terribly good.  Next was down to the expo and lines in that area were running about 30 minutes a ride.  We all split up to take the kids on the one ride they just couldn't live without riding.  We left about 1:45.  There were more people coming in than going out. 

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 25, 2015, 04:59:01 PM »
If you can, swing by Beaver Lake, gates are open

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 25, 2015, 05:42:00 PM »
War Eale River at the mill is flooded, too.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 25, 2015, 07:43:19 PM »
Went out sunday morning, not much vehicle traffic..
talked to a couple of citizens about sat's traffic..  was told it rained in morning and only had about 1500 people by noon, then about 1:00 the people started flooding in, ended up with about 14,000 people.
Sunday we caught the homestead pickers, a couple of skits on mainn street,and listened to the kids playing at the Gazebo, Then a big cloud started forming and we cleared out before it hit.. went to town to see The Haygoods at 2:00..  I heard later on in the day, about 6500 people on sunday...
I checked today and SDC had 15,000 today!!   (Gilligan theres your 4 mile wait)..  Sure glad they rebuilt that hiway to help traffic flow...LOL.!

SO with rain..  Not a bad 3 day total.....

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »
No kidding!  We couldn't find a safe place to turn around, so we went ahead and went to the park for awhile. It wasn't too bad once we left Main Street,but a short time later the rest of the 15,000 must have steadily rolled in, so we rolled out!  The park looked nice.  Hubs made it to the Woodcarver Shop and talked with the blacksmith, so he was happy. Not sure what I think of FL yet. Hubs commented it was too tight, over crowded, and too Victorian. I don't know what to think yet, but I'm sure little kids love it.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2015, 06:23:19 PM »
Slowly but surely getting caught up on Trip Reports.
Here is mine from World Fest
http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/migcrew/2015/SDCworld/
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2015, 11:14:12 PM »
SWOOSH

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2015, 03:49:34 PM »
Finally got to take 1 of the 3 grandkids to SDC Thursday & Friday! The other 2 grandkids will be going in August & October. I did take pictures & have the link to the video at the end of this review!!

We went after 3pm on Thursday & there was not a lot of people at the park. Most of the rides we got to get right on. Her parents had given her ( Trinity, she is 10 years old ) $20 & like any normal kid, she wanted to spend it the second we got there. She wanted to have her face painted, & wanted to buy jewelry, & buy her brothers something. So we distracted her with rides. We rode TNT first, got a few screams out of her. Then we went to FM, she thought that was ok.. We then went over to Firemans Landing, & her & grandma were in in line for the ballon ride till she saw the GS! She loved that!! Then we went for OR, they rode in the front!! She wasnt affraid of anything, i think it freaked my wife out more than her!! And then the ol' trusty FITH got to her. But i had told her that Baldknobbers try to reach out & grab you, & that the fire was real. She rode with me & when she saw the bridge on fire, she started asking questions & getting a little scared. So i reassured her that it was all fake & held on to her, she didnt wanna get wet. Rode PK next, when we topped the first hill, she said -- " look, you can see the whole world!!" She was a real tropper!!

Friday we got there right when they opened ( small crowd again till about 3pm ) & got her face painted. After about a hour she wanted it off because it was started to itch, & it was getting warm, & with her sweating, it was starting to run. Anyway.. We crossed the swinging bridge, she enjoyed that. Went for another ride on OR. Went to ride the train, but just didnt time it right, everyone seemed to wanna ride the train. So we did another trip on FM. Rode WF, she said that was a little jerky. Since it was still early, we decided to walk through the cave. Had some hamburgers at the Wagon Works place, it was good. Went to go ride PK, but it had a line so we decided not to wait for it. We watched a lady fill a stuffed animal for a little girl at the bear making place. They had a taffy machine going, so we watched that for a while. We made it till 3pm, & that aint bad for us. It started getting busy about 2pm. Ofcourse, we stopped at a lot of shops during the day that catch kids attention. We got her a bracelet, sunglasses, & a harmonica.

It was a blast! Most fun i have had down there in a while. She is a very shy, somber girl. All the of the grandkids are on medication, & to see her smile, scream, & have a good time was what it was all about to us. We have been talking about this day since they were babies. I'm just glad the father is letting us take them on these trips, these kids deserve it, they have had a tough upbringing being in state custody & all. But at least the father has his life back together to get his kids back & out of state custody. We were out of the grandkids lives for about 3 years. I just hope we have put memories in her mind that she will want to go back again. Its a great feeling to take your grand children to SDC....

Heres the link to the picture video.. Enjoy!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiPvygLou-k

Live life like it's the last day!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2015, 07:33:59 PM »
How-do..  sounds like a great trip..  Grats on taking the kids...!   Hope it happens again soon..