Author Topic: Show Lovers Pass  (Read 7885 times)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Show Lovers Pass
« on: December 06, 2014, 07:54:47 AM »
We had not planned any trips during Old Time Christmas, but some friends of ours talked my wife into meeting them at SDC next weekend. Will be using their Baf's for the entry. Our kids are also meeting us there. We never have bought a show lovers pass, and I really do not care for the 2 major Christmas shows , but will be forced to set through them to help make the spouse happy. Looks like it will be in the 60's next weekend so I expect the place will be packed. I really do not want to waste my good riding time waiting in 1 hour lines for the shows so I think we will invest in a show lovers pass.

Question is

Is the pass only good for Dickens and Wonderful life ? That is what the website alludes to. I thought the Saloon was included, but am not sure.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Show Lovers Pass
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 08:02:09 AM »
Sorry, Just found the answer. Went through the checkout process and it will only allow you to purchase a pass for the 2 shows mentioned. I also thought it was $10.00 per pass.Nope , it is $ 10.00 per show per person. Think I will let them do the shows and stand in line which does not bother them and I will ride.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 08:48:29 AM »
it is $ 10.00 per show per person
WOW  :o :o
I thought it was $10 for the day.......That's crazy steep.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 09:22:44 AM »
Yes, $10 per show.  That's how I realized that the reserved portion of Wonderful Life (the entire center section) brought revenue of over $1000 in one show.  I know that's a drop in the bucket compared with the million dollar cost of the show, but I doubt the practice will ever go away at that rate.  $1000 for a show you've already paid for?  Hmm.  Those people have more disposable income than I.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 11:08:04 AM »
A couple of times I thought about the show lovers pass, to eliminate the standing in line.. BUT 10 per show, per person just hits me as wrong.. 

If people want to pay that, more power to them..I am glad it is available to them.. 

I just don't see the need...

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 01:11:11 PM »
If it were new or different shows, Maybe ??? I would do it, but we have seen these so many times before it will not really hurt if I miss them. Like I said if the wife and daughters want to wait in line I will gladly use that time to get some quality ride time in ;D.  I would like to see the new saloon show though.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 09:11:46 PM »
They could probably make even more by letting patrons "grease their palms" at the actual entry point to each show.  Jump the line for $10!  You wouldn't have to pre-sell the passes.  Of course, if not done well, that could lead to some negative responses from standers-by.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 09:51:09 PM »
it is $ 10.00 per show per person
WOW  :o :o
I thought it was $10 for the day.......That's crazy steep.

Meh, it's about what I would expect. Honestly considering the lines and how limited the section is, I'm surprised they aren't at least $20. I'm glad it's a limited number of passes and hope they don't start trying to slowly expand it to the point that you have to pay to get a good seat. I'm not against the option, but I'm tired of seeing it abused at other parks.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 12:11:29 PM »
Meh, it's about what I would expect. Honestly considering the lines and how limited the section is, I'm surprised they aren't at least $20.
Well Shave I think after you have parked for $12-$24 and spend $60 some dollars per person to get in that they are really asking a lot.  I would also think that being these folks are probably not the "riding" audience they are getting the loot coming and going.  It seems to me that selling an experience and then  have the nerve to charge again to assure the experience you just sold is a Six Flags move.  Not something I expect from SDC.  Nickel and diming is a bad thing and it leaves a bad taste on the customers palate.  This is not an upcharge Lantern Light Tour here, this is charging twice for the same experience.  I am not sure when the public decided this was an ok business move on there part but I am not buying in. 

Remember......

‘All pigs were created equal, but some pigs are more equal than others’?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 12:35:27 PM by mhguy77 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »
I am not sure when the public decided this was an ok business move on there part but I am not buying in. 

Yeah, I've said the same thing on similar issues at other parks. During typical Haunt weekends at WOF, for example, they have booths all around the park selling skip-the-line scheme passes for about the same cost as admission! So basically, you pay once to get into the park, then double that to actually do the attractions. If there was some consumer advocacy here, parks would be pressured to actually be efficient in their operations instead of using them as an excuse to gouge people. Most CF and SF parks are like this now... and it's become expected course of business in the industry somehow.

So there's a line there somewhere between having a limited number of passes for high cost for those people who really want it and are willing to shell out, and just simply duping everyone into paying twice for an experience. At this point the show lover's scheme is OK in my book because it's a limited section and it's helpful for those who can't wait in line for whatever reason. If they expand it much beyond how it is now, it'll quickly be an issue.

There's also a third option: the LoQueue virtual queue system. Dollywood started implementing this system for a reasonable fee and I'd like to see it take off even more, eventually being rolled into the general admission so that lines are simply done away with.

Fallcreek

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 08:24:17 AM »
We're coming in for a very quick visit this Friday, the 12th.  I've considered getting the show lover's pass just for the Christmas Carol show.  There will be 4 of us.  Mainly because we are going to be there for just the day and want to get in as many coaster runs as possible as well.  We've never seen it before and are interested in it, but if we're standing in an hour long line it will be for a coaster instead, so thinking about the pass.

I'm guessing Friday should be a very high attendance day?  Or would you anticipate it being quite a bit lower than the weekend on Friday?  If it's a lot lower on Fridays, I'd just opt for the line.

Ozarks Gal

• Cave Guide
  • SDC fan since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 03:27:19 PM »
In my experience Saturdays during Old Time Christmas are INSANE!  Crowds so big you can't even move. I image Friday will have fewer people.
"Red Flanders, you come back in here and put on your pants!" "Well Sadie, I ain't got no pants no more. The dang Baldknobbers stole 'em!"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 05:50:18 PM »
Friday will be much better than sat, No doubt...

You will have to flip a coin about the pass question, I doubt that you will need it on Friday, especially if you catch  the earlier shows..

enjoy your visit.. :)

Bigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 10:51:32 PM »
We watched Scrooge on the Saturday night of Thanksgiving week.  Just happened to wander up minutes before showtime and sat down just as it was starting.  Seats were near the back but not too bad.

No waiting in line and no extra fee. 

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 07:57:25 AM »
When we were there sunday (thanksgiving). we walked up to the show about 30 minutes early, had next to no line, and they started seating about that time...  that was great,  LOL..  but 30 minutes sitting in those chairs at Red Gold..?? Before the show started... But the show is great and I guess sitting inside might be better than standing out in the weather.. (although that day it was 75 degrees :)