Author Topic: St. Louis Union Station Developers want rides  (Read 9021 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
St. Louis Union Station Developers want rides
« on: November 14, 2014, 05:19:39 PM »
They are seeking 17 million in TIF relief to put in a 26 acre amusement park with lots of it under the covered area.

http://nextstl.com/2014/11/70-million-amusement-park-project-next-phase-union-station-redevelopment/

The optimist in me wants to see this, we love City Museum, often take in Cards/Cubs games and my wife and I ate at the Hard Rock there on our first non honeymoon trip after we were married. I still wear a barn coat I bought at the Eddie Bauer that was in the mall there that floundered later.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 05:25:07 PM by chittlins »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: St. Louis Union Station Developers want rides
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 05:42:52 PM »
<shamelessplug>

Union Station is one of the settings of my third book, Chippin Cleats, concerning a youth who has ganged up.  When his friend is killed in a brawl, his mother yanks him out of there to live with his uncle in rural Oklahoma, where he attempt to organize a serious gang and fails.  What happens when Devon finds out the world does not have to be what he thinks it is?

http://hoggatt.weebly.com/chippin-cleats.html

</shamelessplug>
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 07:20:42 PM »
I am old enough to remember Union Station when passenger sevice still existed. I loved the shopping mall there. Now rides, huh? Well, gotta change with the times. I hope they preserve all the old architecture there. It is great stuff.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 08:52:25 PM »
I've never been to Union Station but the pictures look like a partially covered roof structure.......is the rest of the roof of the structure glass?

Jay

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 09:10:26 PM »
We need to see some photos or hear some more concrete details to really know what they're really talking about here. Just plopping some rides down would be asking for trouble... Union Station is one of the more dangerous parts of StL right now. If they have a broader revitalization plan that includes rides and attractions, that's great, but I'd approach this with caution. I do love the idea of urban ride-based attractions, but this could easily turn into another failure story if it's not just right for the area and clientele.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »
The mall is a beautiful piece of architecture, and has some intricate features, but they are easily overlooked because...it's a MALL...and a failure of a mall at that.  It's a shame it's not more successful.  Like all else, theming is crucial to making a mall, ride area, etc., truly timeless and attractive.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 11:20:57 PM »
There's some new info on this at screamscape, looks like a tame steel coaster and a 200 ft. ferris wheel is part of it. concept art shows a M&M store feature and what would likely be a Rainforest Café.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 06:24:12 AM »
I'm sure there will be a couple themed restaurants run by Landry's.  They already have their Seafood Restaraunt there
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 10:46:23 AM »
I'm sure there will be a couple themed restaurants run by Landry's.  They already have their Seafood Restaraunt there

A Rainforest Cafe and Aquarium combo like Nashville. Mix in a Dave and Busters and we may have something with more than a 7 year life span. ;D. It would be neat to see AB Inbev develop a brew pub based on the Shock Top line.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 06:54:20 PM »
Except they already have that in Ballpark Village and thus it would be redundant.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 07:53:32 PM »
Except they already have that in Ballpark Village and thus it would be redundant.

Haven't been to copycat Wrigley yet.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 06:00:23 AM »
Little more upscale than anything you'd find at Wrigley and it is actually owned by the Cardinals, no some leech tenants across the street
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 07:05:35 AM »
Little more upscale than anything you'd find at Wrigley and it is actually owned by the Cardinals, no some leech tenants across the street

Defend it all you want but it's a copycat. Wrigleyville is about to get all developed up.  :'(

Saw the proposed downtown open air NFL stadium rendering right on the river, looked meh.

Citydweller84

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 10:27:10 AM »

A Rainforest Cafe and Aquarium combo like Nashville. Mix in a Dave and Busters and we may have something with more than a 7 year life span. ;D. It would be neat to see AB Inbev develop a brew pub based on the Shock Top line.

A Rainforest Cafe and aquarium combo would be good for Union Station. They won't do a D&B because there's already one in the StL area in Earth City.

As for the brew up idea, as has been pointed out there's the Budweiser Brewhouse in Ballpark Village. Both the Brewhouse and BP itself are quite well done. So I don't think AB would do another one so close to what is still a very new location. Now Schlafly on the other hand could do it. I think that would be a really smart move for them.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 08:31:36 PM »
Little more upscale than anything you'd find at Wrigley and it is actually owned by the Cardinals, not some leech tenants across the street

Defend it all you want but it's a copycat. Wrigleyville is about to get all developed up.  :'(

Saw the proposed downtown open air NFL stadium rendering right on the river, looked meh.

Lipstick on a pig and nothing more.
SWOOSH